Quantcast

What to race...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
If i have the $$, i'd like to race one out of state event other than massanutten (already going to that). i haven't been to snowshoe, mt snow or diablo so i'm looking for some opinions on which one i should try to ride. i'm looking for the best economy to fun ratio, ie: carpooling/sharing room possibilities and fun trails.

so anyway, to all of you independantly wealthy privateers...where should i go?

Jun 11, 2004
The only races I have ever done were the Snow Shoe races last year.

I realize that I have nothing else to compare them to.....as far as racing is concerned........but I thought they were AWESOME!

All the race courses were awesome, between practice and race day you can get in a ton of runs, it was affordable to enter the race (at least it was last year), and Snow Shoe has a great village for accomodations (rooms, eating, drinking, shopping). Also, Snow Shoe is great if you decide to bring your wife and kids. I brought my family to one of the races last year and there was plenty for everyone to do......if you like the outdoors.

I have also heard that going to the US Open (Diablo) is awesome as well..............never raced there, but got to ride there for a few days. Great trails, but double the driving distance........that can affect the bottom line quite a bit. $$$

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Snowshoe or the US Open.
If Snowshoe adjusts their race fees, then you can go to Snowshoe cheaper. Both have sweet riding. The US Open is still the best ran races I have been to, even with the crazy crowds.
But Snowshoe uses that same format as well.
Its great for people like me who love to ride other stuff other than the race course .
Both are great for riding all day until your arms fall off.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I camp at a near by Beaver Hill camp ground for a couple bucks a night. They have great facilities and its close to the race venue.

Its the biggest and best "race" atmosphere you will get. Buts its so cool to mix it up on the trails with the likes of Hill, Rennie, Kovarik, and other World Cup pros. They have so many trails with rough rock gardens and flowy jumps lines. The lift is SUPER fast and you will get in more riding than your body will allow.

I'd say from you its a full 12-14 hr drive.

Jun 11, 2004
so is it like whistler or something?

Not exactly.......in my opinion nothing compares to Whistler.........but Diablo is still an AWESOME place to ride! And you have 3 experienced racers in this thread alone saying its a great race..................

Butch is on the mark this time too.......Upper Dominion to Lower Dominion to Alpine can keep a smile on your face for hours and hours!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Not exactly.......in my opinion nothing compares to Whistler.........but Diablo is still an AWESOME place to ride! And you have 3 experienced racers in this thread alone saying its a great race..................

Butch is on the mark this time too.......Upper Dominion to Lower Dominion to Alpine can keep a smile on your face for hours and hours!!
werd. i think i'll try to get up there, if not for a race, at least for a weekend of fun.

Jun 11, 2004
werd. i think i'll try to get up there, if not for a race, at least for a weekend of fun.

Definately worth getting up to Diablo. You won't be disappointed.

I definately know where you are coming from though.........there are too many conflicting dates.

US Open and opening weekend at Snow Shoe = same dates

All the Diablo races and all the Snow Shoe races = same dates

Decisions, decisions...........

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Brandon,
It's way fun on the weekend of the US Open to be there because of what Doug says. There are so many trails that worrying about your practice runs for the "race" is nothing. You get to be all over the mountain for 3 days straight on a lift that is so fast it acts as air conditioning to dry you off by the top. I'm not exaggerating when I say I did more runs there than I've ever done. Something like 30+ runs a day. I think by Sunday, me and Doug were the only guys from our area still flipping the switch and asking the locals "What's another trail combination?"