Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And pointy and sandstone-ish... and pointy and granite-ish.

But ain't nuthin' like Arizona. Fuck - those blokes got ROCKS. Nasty-assed rocks.
South mountain looks so much fucking fun. It's only recently that I've thought that though. My image was tainted for years just by middle aged dorks in elbow pads, bandannas under their helmets, and 6 crowded to a section taking pics for mtbr in their primal scream jerseys over their beer guts.

You ever ridden pisgah? It's legit.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
From what I can remember CO rocks are more jagged than Pisgah rocks, which are often covered with moss and other slimy things.

@jstuhlman back in the day we used to hit Yancey ridge several times a year and that was the one trail that would be noticeably different each time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Isn't there some silly rocky trail in Buffalo Creek ?
Most of buff creek is buff, there's Blackjack but that's big bedrock tech moves. Not mach stupid through square edges. I haven't ridden @SkaredShtles favorite Deer Creek, but Apex right out my door has plenty of square edged chunk. I've killed a rim in there before.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
South Mtn. IS a blast. Trail riding is excellent and there are stupid trails that drop off the north side. Everyone should ride there, and a monkeyfest is in order. That said, it's thorns that'll get ya, not necessarily pinch/tears.

@6thElement - you'd dig DC, a lot.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
For you Pisgah guys. What would be sine fun rides up there if you didn't have all day to ride? I'm thinking about bringing the camper up and riding but the wife and I would be taking turns riding and watching the kido's so I can't be gone all day. We could shuddle each other to bypass long climbs if possible.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
For you Pisgah guys. What would be sine fun rides up there if you didn't have all day to ride? I'm thinking about bringing the camper up and riding but the wife and I would be taking turns riding and watching the kido's so I can't be gone all day. We could shuddle each other to bypass long climbs if possible.
There are endless possibilities from 30 min to all day.

Both of these shops are right at the entrance to Pisgah Proper and can give you excellent ride options and directions.

https://sycamorecycles.com

http://www.thehubpisgah.com

Here's some Pisgah favorites to get started:

http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/category/rides/pisgah-routes/

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8012591/pisgah-national-forest

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The biggest tire/rim killer for me in the Front Range lately has been the Mule Deer trail in Golden Gate Canyon. It's fairly tame and fast....and then you get tossed into some really rocky spots going fast. There's one rock in particular that got me once last year, and just got me again before the last round of snow. Last year with a Maxxis EXO rear tire, snake bit it, small rim dent (EX471), in goes a tube. This year, with a Maxxis DD rear tire, tire was fine, but smashed an XM481 rim. Both were with 28psi rear. Next up is a Huck Norris insert inside the DD casing. If I flat with that....well, I'll be thoroughly disappointed for at least 30 minutes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And pointy and sandstone-ish... and pointy and granite-ish.

But ain't nuthin' like Arizona. Fuck - those blokes got ROCKS. Nasty-assed rocks.
Lived there, but still spent several days last week trying to match my suspension settings to the trails. Some had so many small sharp edged rocks that just work you over and it was difficult to tune high speed compliance with any kind of low speed support. I remember why I went to custom tune (xc bike I had did not have this). Bandit in Sedona was especially annoying (connector between Hiline and Hangover areas) with small 3-4" rounded rocks everywhere on the climb. I just didn't have enough travel to cruise on the flats and uphills and it was a lot harder than if I had the bigger bike. I rode some rocky areas in CO and WA in the last few years, but really nothing compares to the rocky stuff in AZ IME. SoMo, Goat Camp, others. Ride these frequently and you are prepared for just about anything.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also, just cos I'm a slow learner I tried running an Exo casing on my XC/trail bike. End result - finishing the last 35km of a 50km (32 freedom miles) XC event with a gel wrapper reinforced sidewall. Actually the gel wrapper was surprisingly durable - I expect 2019 will see Gel-Wrap sidewalls released from a major manufacturer.

Tyre Cut.jpg

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Looks like a good value when you consider $/knob. :D
Yeah, I'm a bit dubious. A few people reckon they're indestructible but I think they'll clog up if used as an all-rounder. Might be ok in gravel or something, but maybe just stick to proven rear tyres.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, just cos I'm a slow learner I tried running an Exo casing on my XC/trail bike. End result - finishing the last 35km of a 50km (32 freedom miles) XC event with a gel wrapper reinforced sidewall. Actually the gel wrapper was surprisingly durable - I expect 2019 will see Gel-Wrap sidewalls released from a major manufacturer.

View attachment 126922
Just stick a tire plug in there, it'll be fine.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just stick a tire plug in there, it'll be fine.
Oh the best part was some other competitor riding past as I was putting a tube in, while my whole bike is covered in latex goop like a bukkake scene and saying "oh you should try tubeless". Thanks for the insight pal.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yeah, I'm a bit dubious. A few people reckon they're indestructible but I think they'll clog up if used as an all-rounder. Might be ok in gravel or something, but maybe just stick to proven rear tyres.
Looks like it would be a good Moab/slickrock tire (knobs on sides supported) but then again, so would a Minion SS DH...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
If you look at those things and think "ok in gravel" I can't help you. :D
Its a back tyre mate, it just has to hold air and not be made of Teflon.

It'd be fine for the gravel and sand tracks we have around here, seeing as no tyre is ever going to actually excel in that crap.