Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone try tires with Schwalbe's new "Apex" casing? Such as this one: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-magic-mary-26-apex.html

The CRC description for Apex says: "In addition to the SnakeSkin fabric, these TL Easy tyres are reinforced on the sidewalls by 2 layers of extremely robust motorcycle carcass."

I'm curious about it.

I'm looking to replace my Maxxis Aggressor in DD, which I really like but wish was a wee little bit wider. Say 2.4 or 2.5. I tore a side knob out of my current Aggressor. It took a fair bit of rubber with it. It still holds air, but I think I want to replace it and keep it as a spare. And if I'm going to replace it, I wonder what else is out there that suits my needs... It was pretty much the perfect rear tire for me and my conditions, I just think it could do with a little extra volume. There is a 2.5 WT version, but I'm not running a wide rim (it's a Flow EX, so 25mm inner width), so I don't think the WT version would work well.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Anyone try tires with Schwalbe's new "Apex" casing? Such as this one: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-magic-mary-26-apex.html

The CRC description for Apex says: "In addition to the SnakeSkin fabric, these TL Easy tyres are reinforced on the sidewalls by 2 layers of extremely robust motorcycle carcass."

I'm curious about it.

I'm looking to replace my Maxxis Aggressor in DD, which I really like but wish was a wee little bit wider. Say 2.4 or 2.5. I tore a side knob out of my current Aggressor. It took a fair bit of rubber with it. It still holds air, but I think I want to replace it and keep it as a spare. And if I'm going to replace it, I wonder what else is out there that suits my needs... It was pretty much the perfect rear tire for me and my conditions, I just think it could do with a little extra volume. There is a 2.5 WT version, but I'm not running a wide rim (it's a Flow EX, so 25mm inner width), so I don't think the WT version would work well.
I'm interested in the newer Schwalbe tires, never got along with the older ones.

Depending on your riding style and pressure, I wouldn't worry too much about using a 25mm rim with 2.5 aggressor. You'll stay off the side knobs, and there' so many center/transition knobs It should not make the tire too drifty.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm interested in the newer Schwalbe tires, never got along with the older ones.

Depending on your riding style and pressure, I wouldn't worry too much about using a 25mm rim with 2.5 aggressor. You'll stay off the side knobs, and there' so many center/transition knobs It should not make the tire too drifty.
Hmmm. that's a good way to put it. But the side knobs are what I like about Maxxis tires... I love that drifty feeling followed by slamming into a wall of cornering shred!

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Hmmm. that's a good way to put it. But the side knobs are what I like about Maxxis tires... I love that drifty feeling followed by slamming into a wall of cornering shred!
Then you will probably be fine on 25mm rim, unless you run low tire pressures.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nevermind the last 10 years when we were all running DH 2.5s or even 2.7s on 25mm rims....

It will be fine. Just run it.

As for alternatives to the Aggressor, give the Michelin Rock'R A2 a go. Those things get great reviews, and I don't think the Aggressor actually rolls a whole lot better anyway.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Since this is the most active trail bike tire thread I'm gonna ask this question here.

I just finially upgraded to 27.5 wheels after running my old trusty 26" bike into the ground and I noticed a gap in the DHF lineup.

Screenshot_20180112-143635.png

Where the hell are the non WT 27.5x2.5 tires?????

For me the 3C EXO 2.5 was the sweet spot for a front trail tire. What are other DHF guys running?

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017

I'm curious about it.

From the description of Apex it sounds very similar to Super Gravity. It must be lighter than SG because the 27x2.6 weighs basically the same as 26x2.3 SG. If you haven't tried SG give that a try. I personally prefer Double Down, but like you, wish they were offered in wider sizes. SG is a pretty good mid weight casing. Very robust sidewalls, with slightly better than say EXO top casing. SG feels different than any casing I've tried because of the dramatic tapper from sidewall to top tread. That's partly why I prefer DD, but you might love that feel? It's not bad, just different.

I also agree with what was said in regards to 25mm rims and WT DHF. I wouldn't write if off because of your rims. I run 25mm rims too and would buy the DHF WT 2.5 in a second if it came in 26. I'm running a 2.3 DHF DD right now. I would like more rubber and might move on because of that. Scwhalbe's 2.35 is spot on for me, maxxis not so much.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Since this is the most active trail bike tire thread I'm gonna ask this question here.

I just finially upgraded to 27.5 wheels after running my old trusty 26" bike into the ground and I noticed a gap in the DHF lineup.

View attachment 127568

For me the 3C EXO 2.5 was the sweet spot for a front trail tire. What are other DHF guys running?
The 27.5 2.3 is basically the same width as the 26 2.5 (actually a little wider according to Maxxis). Check out the ETRTO column.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The 27.5 2.3 is basically the same width as the 26 2.5 (actually a little wider according to Maxxis). Check out the ETRTO column.
Very interesting...

But the bike I bought has HR2 2.4 front and rear (thanks OEM). The plan was to get a DHF for the front and keep the HR2s for the rear, and if I run a skinnier tire on the front than the rear I'm gonna feel weird about it and everybody is gonna laugh at me :disgust:

I guess based on the etrto its only a few mm difference so I probably won't die. Probably.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Whatever the OEM compound is on those HR2's - it sure does generally suck for the conditions around these parts. :disgust:
Yeah. They sucked ass on the wet roots in Oakland last weekend but I'll just run them on the rear and do sweet skids until they're gone. They did ok in the loam but any compound would have shredded that hero dirt.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
...if I run a skinnier tire on the front than the rear I'm gonna feel weird about it and everybody is gonna laugh at me :disgust:

I guess based on the etrto its only a few mm difference so I probably won't die. Probably.
but you'll always know in the back of your mind that your rear tire is wider than the front and it WILL mentally impact your riding. it's been proven.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
From the description of Apex it sounds very similar to Super Gravity. It must be lighter than SG because the 27x2.6 weighs basically the same as 26x2.3 SG. If you haven't tried SG give that a try. I personally prefer Double Down, but like you, wish they were offered in wider sizes. SG is a pretty good mid weight casing. Very robust sidewalls, with slightly better than say EXO top casing. SG feels different than any casing I've tried because of the dramatic tapper from sidewall to top tread. That's partly why I prefer DD, but you might love that feel? It's not bad, just different.

I also agree with what was said in regards to 25mm rims and WT DHF. I wouldn't write if off because of your rims. I run 25mm rims too and would buy the DHR WT 2.5 in a second if it came in 26. I'm running a 2.3 DHF DD right now. I would like more rubber and might move on because of that. Scwhalbe's 2.35 is spot on for me, maxxis not so much.
I've run a couple of SG tires: a Hans Dampf and a Rock Razor. Those were the only (trail) tires I never managed to kill a sidewall. But yeah, they were kind of dead feeling.

Aww man, that has turned me into the princess obsessed with a pea.

The magic Mary I have on the front now is a 60. The DHF I ran in the front of my last bike is a 59 (actually a 55/59 whatever the eff that means... Casing /knobs maybe?) I like both those tires. Makes me think 60 is the right width for me.

Friggin maxxis don't make a friggin DHF in 60 in non-WT tread. :monkey:

The 2.3 aggressor is 58. The 2.5 wt is 63.

Argh, why is this bugging me so much?!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
@rockofullr

Got your solution right here.
Cheap. Cost is pennies.

No problem running the bigger tire in the rear, if anything it is much more appropriate.
Everybody know all the cool bikes have a bigger tire in the back - Moto Yo!

You will need the following.

1. Trading Card - preferably a double of a minor player, or somebody you don't like.
2. Clothes pin.

Attach as shown below.

Ride your new motor sounding bike!!

You can augment the super cool engine sound by yelling Vroom Vroom at (in)appropriate? times.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
People still buy 26" tires?

I've got a couple sets, brand new, looking to get rid of. Sorry not sorry for spam.

Minion DHF 2.5. DH Casing/wire. 26x2.5. The original gangster of DH tires. Super Tacky. 2 of them. - Sold to Nick

Then there's the "cross country" version of the above. Minion DHF 26x2.5, 3C, MaxxTerra, EXO. Folding bead. 2 of them.

Also have a pair of Wet Screams. New. Just old. 26x2.5 DH/Wire bead.

Let me know if there's any interest. $60 for pair. All tires still have tags, never been mounted.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

View attachment 127568

agreed.
Might do this just cause I've always wondered about the MM

I'm starting a princess support group. You should join.

Tire millimeters matter bro!!!
For me, 60mm is the "magical pea" for a front tire for me. I like my Magic Mary in the front at 60mm. Seems like the closest option from Maxxis is the 2.4 DHR II WT at 61mm. I wonder if the WT knobs would be too far down the sidewall and require extreme lean angles before kicking in.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So... as seen recently on BTI:

E*thirteen LG1 Race 27.5"

Apparently a dual-ply TRS? I know there are some fans of the TRS 'round these parts. Looks like this model is new... so maybe nobody has had a chance to try them out yet?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So... as seen recently on BTI:

E*thirteen LG1 Race 27.5"

Apparently a dual-ply TRS? I know there are some fans of the TRS 'round these parts. Looks like this model is new... so maybe nobody has had a chance to try them out yet?
I only like TRS+ in the front and for that duty, my lack of speeds don't need any dual-ply. :homer:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Picked up a SnakeSkin Magic Mary. Gonna run it up front for wet days so it probably won't see much abuse. Will report back if I manage to wreck it.
I started running them front and rear on my trail bike last winter, liked em so much I kept running them all summer. The grip on janky and steep blown out or muddy trails makes the pedaling tradeoff worthwhile.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Curious about those. Like the look of the side knobs, the cornering channel is different but given how the Magic Mary's are maybe????

Not digging that they're larger volume but less weight than the Rock'r2's.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I picked up two Specialized Butchers for around $40, in the Control casing/rubber or whatever. Couldn't resist the price for what looks like a half decent tire.

Problem is, on my trail bike I have a worn out front Maxxis DHF 3c and an almost new Maxxis DHR2 3c on the back.

Should I just take off both Maxxis tires?