Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Trail bike tires require some finesse, and they are a compromise. Sounds like some people should just run DH tires.
I would consider it if someone made a decent 29" DH tire... Oh wait, is that minion Exo DH actually a DH casing or the Exo crap?

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
2nd generation works quite well, first one not so much, imho. The Baron Projekt is really good, but the Mitchy is better for moar aggressive riding (loose rocky fast crap). I'm told the Kaiser Projekt 2.4 will be available in an enduro weight/casing soon.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
This is very good information. I ordered a Slaughter last night, I'm looking forward to running it this summer. I was seriously thinking about running a WTB trail boss, but I don't understand the 2.25 size. And 2.4 is too big (for me as a rear tire). I'll keep my SuperGravity RockRazor for any races I might do that are in the dry, or weekends I know will be particularly rough.

If the slaughter doesn't work out, I guess I'll try Trail Boss... 2.25 isn't that far off from 2.3.
I think you will like it. I have been using Butchers and Slaughters for a while, even raced DH on them (Using 29er ones but I assume the 650b and 26, yes they do make them both in 26 now, ones are the same) I now have a pair of Hillbillys on there, the new tread pattern ones, and they are great. They are a bit narrower then the other tyres in 2.3 but feel good for the sloppy conditions we are getting into now.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Cautiously optimistic with the Wild Rock'r2. Rode 3-Sisters this evening which involves a lot of big, exposed water bars and a lot of square-edged rocks. No rim-strikes at what is normally an unrideabru PSI (28-ish). And as I've admitted to numerous times - I'm a skilless, plowy hack.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Cautiously optimistic with the Wild Rock'r2. Rode 3-Sisters this evening which involves a lot of big, exposed water bars and a lot of square-edged rocks. No rim-strikes at what is normally an unrideabru PSI (28-ish). And as I've admitted to numerous times - I'm a skilless, plowy hack.
I have had good luck with them. I even ran one on the dh bike. Zero flats out of 3 tires which i wore the tread out on. I can also run less air than my normal (on the trail bike) . I normal have to fix flats on other tire casings but so far haven't had any need to of the michelins

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If that that trail was my daily driver, and I was going thru exo tires every other ride, I'd just go DD or DH tires. Eff the weight. I'd be more concerned about my tire budget cutting into my bong shed and beer budget. Let alone walking back to the car. (I normally don't carry tire repair jive with me). But that's just me. And I'm only 180#bagofdicks.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I have had good luck with them. I even ran one on the dh bike. Zero flats out of 3 tires which i wore the tread out on. I can also run less air than my normal (on the trail bike) . I normal have to fix flats on other tire casings but so far haven't had any need to of the michelins
Yes, x2 on all of this.
Lower pressure, smack everything on the trail with zero fucks given & the tires just kick ass.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
But we should probably throw in a pansy-disclaimer: They are heavy and don't roll fast.

Then again, rolling resistance is a feminist issue.
For what they are I think they roll really well and what you lose on the straights you make up for in the corners.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That word is not in Hacktastic vocabulary.
Well, it is, but it's really impossible to maintain 100% of the time on that sort of terrain. In some capacity, the bike has to work by itself when the forcing frequencies become that high. The human body isn't going to react at 5Hz+ if you land loaded into a series of bumps, no matter how loose you are.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
If that that trail was my daily driver, and I was going thru exo tires every other ride, I'd just go DD or DH tires. Eff the weight. I'd be more concerned about my tire budget cutting into my bong shed and beer budget. Let alone walking back to the car. (I normally don't carry tire repair jive with me). But that's just me. And I'm only 180#bagofdicks.
Weight watchers FTW!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have good luck with EXOs for a few years. But we have nothing but manicured flow trails here in the Rockies.
Currently riding the TRS tires and I'm happy with everything about them.
Possibly changing tune on the TRS+ :mad:
These things hook up just great, traction isn't the problem, but these are just not holding pressure with any consistency. I've had Schwable and Maxxis tires mounted up to these rims and they've been rock solid. These e13 are never the same pressure two days in a row. Shit, not even from climbing to descending. (fwiw: I was averaging 27 or 28psi front, about 30 rear) Properly mounted, plenty of sealant, same setup as the other brands.

Anyone else having anything similar with these tires? If this keeps up the experiment may be over.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
These things hook up just great, traction isn't the problem, but these are just not holding pressure with any consistency. I've had Schwable and Maxxis tires mounted up to these rims and they've been rock solid. These e13 are never the same pressure two days in a row. Shit, not even from climbing to descending. (fwiw: I was averaging 27 or 28psi front, about 30 rear) Properly mounted, plenty of sealant, same setup as the other brands.

Anyone else having anything similar with these tires? If this keeps up the experiment may be over.
No such issues here. Is the tire weeping?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The tire cost/hassle of walking has become a real fucking burden.

I am also only a 180# or so bag of dicks. I was referring to Gemini in another thread as the 220# bag of dicks. She's huge.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
I would consider it if someone made a decent 29" DH tire... Oh wait, is that minion Exo DH actually a DH casing or the Exo crap?
From some guy on mtbr:

"So I can now confirm that the following is true about the different 29x 2.5 DHF Minions because I have them:

TB96800000 is a 2 compound EXO tire that weighs about 1000g
TB96800100 is a 2 compound DH casing 2 ply tire that weighs about 1255g

Now for the two triple compound tires that I have not had my hands on, but I have been given this same info by two different folks at Maxxis:

TB96800300 is a 3C Maxterra EXO tire that weighs about 1000g
TB96800200 is a 3C Maxgrip 2 ply DH casing that weighs about 1255g"

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
They do exist! I have a set of the DH casing 3C Maxxgrip Minion DHF in 29. That tire makes me start to like some 29ers. Those on a DT Swiss XM481 rim make for a very capable setup.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This should be a good, stout yet fast rolling option for rough rocks. I like mine in EXO.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/maxxis-tomahawk-double-down-tr-tire-27.5in
yup . . . just went to search for 26" maxxis tires and only got one hit at CC (I know they make others, but I bet three years ago you would have found a dozen at CC): http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-26-inch-tires?p=brand:Maxxis&nf=1

I like the fact that when you select 26" it also brings up 24" as well. same/same, right? :rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Must buy proprietary rim to complete tire/wheel system with matching graphics.