Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG

After another rash of cutting Maxxis EXO tires I measured the rim sidewall thickness of a Stans Arch at 1.84mm. Then measured a Mavic 721 at 3.64mm. What a difference. Combine that with where "wide" rims put that sharp edge it is starting to make sense why I cut these tires so easily. The old school 721 is pretty blunt and it's "narrow" width maybe keeps that cutting surface away from the tire sidewalls.

Thoughts?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The local EndurBros are swearing by Cushcore. Going so far to say they've dumped the DD tires for EXO.

I've installed. Haven't riden yet.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm looking at the DT Swiss E 512. Those have a 30mm outer and 25mm inner, hopefully giving a 2.5mm sidewall. Not sure were that is measured. Hopefully it has a rolled, blunt edge much like the older Mavic 721s.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
View attachment 128249 View attachment 128248

After another rash of cutting Maxxis EXO tires I measured the rim sidewall thickness of a Stans Arch at 1.84mm. Then measured a Mavic 721 at 3.64mm. What a difference. Combine that with where "wide" rims put that sharp edge it is starting to make sense why I cut these tires so easily. The old school 721 is pretty blunt and it's "narrow" width maybe keeps that cutting surface away from the tire sidewalls.

Thoughts?
I can't find the post anymore, I think it was in the DH tire thread, but it could be in this one too. But essentially, yeah, the farther apart the sidewalls are, the more prone to being cut and pinching they are. It has something to do with the sidewalls being more vertical instead of rounded, and being more exposed as a result.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yep, that looks better than the knife edge of the Stan's. Sucks that I have to bear all this exploration at $100 a rim and $90 a tire. There are way too many variables to pick whats best for your setup and riding location/style. The broad generalities with which the bike industry shovels at the consumer is startling.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
it's not the popular kid, but the wtb frequency team i25 has been a great rim for me. 30mm outer for 2.5mm walls. ~$70 all over the place.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Starbike routinely has has the DT EX471 for ~$70. Good deals on DT spokes and nipples too.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
it's not the popular kid, but the wtb frequency team i25 has been a great rim for me. 30mm outer for 2.5mm walls. ~$70 all over the place.
Running the same rims on the big bike.
I like them, easy build, stay true, no tire issues.
Would bang again.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Spank Oozy Trail 295 will be in the 2.5mm sidewall width range too. The main issue with those though is the stupid name. That you can't take off because the decals are under the clear coat.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Spank Oozy Trail 295 will be in the 2.5mm sidewall width range too. The main issue with those though is the stupid name. That you can't take off because the decals are under the clear coat.
hmmm... was just poking around their site a bit more, and the Race 33 seems like a very interesting rim: 28mm internal width (33mm external so one can assume the walls are 2.5mm thick) and comes in at 500g for a 650b rim. Plus there's a "Bearclaw edition", which is charcoal decals on black rim. So much more subdued... guess he doesn't really like the stupid name either. Kinda wish I'd seen these before getting my Arch MK3 and Flow EX combo...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Does a Magic Mary exist in a snakeskin casing, but in the Addix ultrasoft compound? I can't seem to find one...

I am currently loving the Vertstar, but I doubt I really need the Supergravity casing since it's on my front tire.

I've entered an event that will be teh hardz, and I'm hoping to shed a bit of weight. I'm on dual supergravity (front and back) tires at the moment. They work great, but gosh they're heavy.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've entered an event that will be teh hardz, and I'm hoping to shed a bit of weight. I'm on dual supergravity (front and back) tires at the moment. They work great, but gosh they're heavy.
I just ran a SuperGravity Ultrasoft Magic Mary for a 5 day enduro in NZ. In adverse conditions, I'd still run the Ultrasoft even if it was heavier. I'd take the grip and margin of safety, especially when exhausted any day. A supergravity option would be ideal - but if it doesn't exist I'd still run the Purple.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just ran a SuperGravity Ultrasoft Magic Mary for a 5 day enduro in NZ. In adverse conditions, I'd still run the Ultrasoft even if it was heavier. I'd take the grip and margin of safety, especially when exhausted any day. A supergravity option would be ideal - but if it doesn't exist I'd still run the Purple.
yeah, the vertstar kicks complete ass. I really don't want to sacrifice the grip, just hoping to save the weight. The Schwalbe site claims that the "soft" is softer than the "trailstar". I've never tried the trailstar though, so don't know how much less grippy the new soft would be compared to the old vertstar. Apparently there's about a 200g weight savings. Over 40km distance and 2000m of climbing, it might be noticeable, but I'm struggling to decide if it's worth a slight sacrifice in grip, though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Does a Magic Mary exist in a snakeskin casing, but in the Addix ultrasoft compound? I can't seem to find one...

I am currently loving the Vertstar, but I doubt I really need the Supergravity casing since it's on my front tire.

Schwalbe's website says no.

What are you doing to yourself?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Schwalbe's website says no.

What are you doing to yourself?
Yeah, a bit of a bummer. I'll just suck it up and stick with the heavier tire, methinks.

I've registered for the Gryphon enduro in Squamish on June 9th. Long course. Apparently it's an EWS qualifier event, so I expect to be completely shattered at the end of the day. I'm a bit worried about cutoff start times. I've managed rides about half the size in the last couple of weeks and held it together, but not so sure I'll still be able to ride with any sense after twice as much riding. I'd need some breaks and maybe some enduro-walking to make it.

Hence my desire to make it easier... But blowing a font tire probably isn't the best way to stay in one piece and finish either...it's 1/4 lb. SIUP, amirite?

Shopping around for fresh parts to have on hand. I'm up to about $500 on new tires, new cassette, new RD, new chain, new oval ring (because why not), and a super-bro enduro chain guide.

My drivetrain is going on 2 years old, so I'm due, and I'm resisting going full retard on an XTR shifter too... but that's another $130...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Over 40km distance and 2000m of climbing, it might be noticeable, but I'm struggling to decide if it's worth a slight sacrifice in grip, though.
The Super gravity isn't going to kill you for that hey. Well it won't make or break you anyway. A shitty tyre will though.

Yeah, a bit of a bummer. I'll just suck it up and stick with the heavier tire, methinks.

I've registered for the Gryphon enduro in Squamish on June 9th. Long course. Apparently it's an EWS qualifier event, so I expect to be completely shattered at the end of the day. I'm a bit worried about cutoff start times. I've managed rides about half the size in the last couple of weeks and held it together, but not so sure I'll still be able to ride with any sense after twice as much riding. I'd need some breaks and maybe some enduro-walking to make it.
My buddy from the Trans NZ is doing that one and I was going to come across for it, but will aim for the Trans BC instead. The locals will kill everyone on those trails haha.

Just run the purple SuperGravity imo - if the Squamish weather goes to hell, you'll be thankful for it. If conditions are bone dry, maybe - just maybe - opt for a faster rolling/lighter tyre. But murdering a sidewall on stage 5 is going to be a lot more frustrating than having to push a couple of steep sections on liasons.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The Super gravity isn't going to kill you for that hey. Well it won't make or break you anyway. A shitty tyre will though.

My buddy from the Trans NZ is doing that one and I was going to come across for it, but will aim for the Trans BC instead. The locals will kill everyone on those trails haha.

Just run the purple SuperGravity imo - if the Squamish weather goes to hell, you'll be thankful for it. If conditions are bone dry, maybe - just maybe - opt for a faster rolling/lighter tyre. But murdering a sidewall on stage 5 is going to be a lot more frustrating than having to push a couple of steep sections on liasons.
Yeah, I am fully going to have my ass handed to me, but that's okay. If I finish in the top 50% of my category, I'll be pretty damned pleased.

It's enough of an excuse for my wife to encourage me to get out and ride, so, it makes nothing but sense! Not landing on my face is probably a good idea too, so I just ordered up a couple of the super soft.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah, I am fully going to have my ass handed to me, but that's okay. If I finish in the top 50% of my category, I'll be pretty damned pleased.
Haha, I have similar race goals.

Not landing on my face is probably a good idea too, so I just ordered up a couple of the super soft.
Budget allowing, save them for the race. Or at least as close to that weekend as you can get - they don't last forever. Chuck them on for a few laps prior to the event to knock the shine off, but I wouldn't run them till a week before so you can enjoy maximum velcro action for the event.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Budget allowing, save them for the race. Or at least as close to that weekend as you can get - they don't last forever. Chuck them on for a few laps prior to the event to knock the shine off, but I wouldn't run them till a week before so you can enjoy maximum velcro action for the event.
Yeah, that's the plan. I bought two so I can put one on soonish because my current one is pretty toasted. The winter really beat the up. I think they got brittle as they froze and shredded pretty quickly. It will also be a decent test to see how the new compounds feel. I know I like the tire, so the second one won't go to waste, and will be uber fresh for "the big event" if I need it.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Tranz NZ?
If so I would like to offer my humble apologies for the post stage beers selection.
When I saw the riders were being offered Double Brown and Tui I was horrified!
Texted a few brewery owning mates to get them to step up and sponsor it next year.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, that's the plan. I bought two so I can put one on soonish because my current one is pretty toasted. The winter really beat the up. I think they got brittle as they froze and shredded pretty quickly. It will also be a decent test to see how the new compounds feel. I know I like the tire, so the second one won't go to waste, and will be uber fresh for "the big event" if I need it.
For a race of that profile, would a DHF not be a better choice? You can get it lighter (in a 2.5 EXO), and it rolls a heck of a lot better. I don't feel it drops that much in traction (though that is very much condition dependant - there is no doubt the Magic Mary performs much better when it's wet and goopy out, which I hear can happen from time to time in Squamish...)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
For a race of that profile, would a DHF not be a better choice? You can get it lighter (in a 2.5 EXO), and it rolls a heck of a lot better. I don't feel it drops that much in traction (though that is very much condition dependant - there is no doubt the Magic Mary performs much better when it's wet and goopy out, which I hear can happen from time to time in Squamish...)
Yeah, I have been looking at trying one of those out too. I ran them in my Yeti but have always had the MM up front since I built up the Nomad. The DHF is clearly still the tire of choice for most around here, I’ve just gotten used to gobs of traction up front on the MM.

I’ll probably pick up a DHF and see how I like it by comparison on the MKIII Flows. I Have a 2.35 I was going to run out back.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I find Magic Mary’s grip better on dry blown out trails as well; not sure if that applies to this race though.