Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone know if the 2.3 DD's knobs and channels are a lot smaller, or the overall casing volume, or both?
As compared to what? If you're talking 2.3 DHR 2 vs 2.4, it's a combination of knob size and casing volume.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Schwalbe made the Hans Drumph about 20% less stupid. Only 5 or 6 more iterations like that and it might be worth considering. :rofl:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Friend of mine just switched to onza tires because he gets them for free. He has the Aquila on his dh bike and the citius/ibex on his trail bike. He said the aquila is grippy but wears fast being 40a. It reminds him of the butcher. He set it up it tubeless (tirecare sealant). He is quite impressed with the citius which offers a lot of grip. He usually runs 28 psi front and rear (apparently if you corner hard enough you will burp any tire).

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
0766CC31-8357-4859-8FC0-0704856BECC4.jpeg
I unfortunately tried the Slaughter in the control casing. I don’t recommend. This is after a few months.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
just put a Aggressor 2.5 WT in the DD casing on the rear. Let the psi experiment begin. I usually run 27r, hoping that can safely come down a touch. TIGHT bead on the install.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Control casing is for XC weenies. GRID is significantly better, the Slaughter GRID is my favorite semi-slick.
Yeah, I see that . If you ride flow trails or gravel roads they would work but I ride in a place mainly with roots and rocks = no bueno.

Have you tried the minion SS? I’m trying that tire next.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah, I see that . If you ride flow trails or gravel roads they would work but I ride in a place mainly with roots and rocks = no bueno.

I've tried other semi slicks, I keep going back to grid slaughter.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
just put a Aggressor 2.5 WT in the DD casing on the rear. Let the psi experiment begin. I usually run 27r, hoping that can safely come down a touch. TIGHT bead on the install.
I think you'll like it. I had that tire on my rear on a trip to Moab last year. You know that bit on porcupine where you just try to keep your speed and double up rocks? Well I came up quite short on one. Huge "thud" on the rear. I was expecting to hear the rear tire blow up. It didn't. But my carbon wheel did manage to break a spoke.

How often can you case the shit out of something, and the tire is okay, but the wheel broke a spoke? IDK, but prolly not very often...sweet tire maxxis!

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

The SS is too square unless on a 20mm internal rim I was riding the side knobs on z 23mm rim. The 2.3 Aggressor is better IMHO shave it if it's not to your liking.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
Is that Spec version of double down??!!
120 tpi, mid weight casing made by CST like maxxis so yeah.

Too bad no 26". I would try the butcher though I prefer the OG version designed by Hill. I ran nothing but spec sx tires for years until they pulled the plug. It's about time they brought back a decent mid weight option. Now they just need to bring back the chunder and clutch in little micro baby wheel size.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
I don't know why anyone thinks a weeping tire means it's no good. That will seal.

I don't think I've ever had any tire from any manufacturer ever not do that. My dh tires do that.
Yep, DH, and mid weight casings seep sealant. I'm hoping one day we figure out how to reliably run tubeless dry. Sealant has never done anything for me other than set up tires. Typically it just weeps out the sidewalls, and piss all over the trail after a pinch.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Every TR EXO DHF and DHRII I’ve had from maxxis in 26” would mount to a Stans rim with a floor pump and no sealant. I add sealant after seating the bead via valve stem injector.

It’s odd that the mid weight tires will not do that, I agree.

Very excited about double down Butchers!!!

I’ve yet to figure out which tire is best for sand and kitty litter, now that I’ve decided DHF is not it.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I think you'll like it. I had that tire on my rear on a trip to Moab last year. You know that bit on porcupine where you just try to keep your speed and double up rocks? Well I came up quite short on one. Huge "thud" on the rear. I was expecting to hear the rear tire blow up. It didn't. But my carbon wheel did manage to break a spoke.

How often can you case the shit out of something, and the tire is okay, but the wheel broke a spoke? IDK, but prolly not very often...sweet tire maxxis!
I like it. Ran 25psi (!) front and rear and White Ranch. Awesome. Great cornering grip, seems to roll fast over everything up/down.
Smashed rocks the whole way down Longhorn. I'll def drop another pound up front. I'm surprised I didn't hear any impacts at only 25psi. Really good stuff.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I don't know why anyone thinks a weeping tire means it's no good. That will seal.

I don't think I've ever had any tire from any manufacturer ever not do that. My dh tires do that.
i had to air it up yesterday during my ride because of the weeping. It’s on both sides and all around. I figure if it’s not sealed in 3 months it’s not gonna happen. I’ve used a half a bottle of Stan’s on this thing hoping it would seal.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I can see the threads on the sides. This is the 2nd rear tire from Specialized that has done this. I just need to suck it up and get grid casings and banish my inner weight weenie. I went from 250 to 207lbs so fuck light tires, I’m skinny now!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i have the control casings as well. they blow. I bought them trying to get ultralight wheels that would spin up fast, but with how little I ride, they are absolutely shredded. Threads showing, plenty of weeping. Another 2oz of sealant seemed to seal it up, but I regularly have to stop mid ride to pump it. I may end up swapping for one of the exo ardents i have on another bike just for more protection.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've never had any tubeless setup that didn't leak some. It's weeping because you're scraping off the outer layer of rubber. It will seal. Again, every tire does it, especially as it gets scraped more.
Every Onza Ibex, Maxxis HR2, Geax Gato and Vittoria Goma I've ran tubeless didn't weep at all. One Specialized Butcher did, and so did the Schwalbe something I ran many moons ago.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Go ride one. Best trail bike compound out there right now.
Really? A buddy who I think is usually not a moron tried one of the new Hillbillies and thought the rubber sucked. You're talking about the Gripton, right?

I haven't ridden any recent Specy tires so I have zero data points.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Really? A buddy who I think is usually not a moron tried one of the new Hillbillies and thought the rubber sucked. You're talking about the Gripton, right?

I haven't ridden any recent Specy tires so I have zero data points.

Yeah go try a newer butcher or slaughter. It's nuts. I had some 2.6s that were the best trail bike tires I've ever had. Just got a 2.3 slaughter and a 2.5 DHR2 3c. The specialized tires punch that 3c maxx terra in the pussy. I wish to god spesh made a 2.4 or 2.5.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
...I wish to god spesh made a 2.4 or 2.5.
Was coming here to say the exact same. I had a great time on my Butcher 2.3's. On the new build I went back to Maxxis for the 2.5 axxxion.

Guess a question is how do the Spesh 2.6's measure compared to Maxxis 2.5's?