Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Anybody running an aggressor up front and some less aggressive like a Ardent or Ardent Race out back? Looking for a little more front end grip and currently have Ardent / Ardent Race on my hardtail.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Anybody running an aggressor up front and some less aggressive like a Ardent or Ardent Race out back? Looking for a little more front end grip and currently have Ardent / Ardent Race on my hardtail.
In my, and every one I've talked to opinion. Almost anything is better than the Ardent.
If you want a volume like tire tru XR4 on the front. Based on what you are running it I a good set up for hardback with some roots. Wet or rocky you need a more aggressive setup.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
In my, and every one I've talked to opinion. Almost anything is better than the Ardent.
If you want a volume like tire tru XR4 on the front. Based on what you are running it I a good set up for hardback with some roots. Wet or rocky you need a more aggressive setup.
Yeah, I ride this bike on pretty tame trails with no significant amount of rocks, some roots. Current combo works pretty good, just looking for the next step up in grip up front.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just did my first humid/greasy ride on the HR2 double downs and I take back my previous statement of keeping them till they are worn out.... It was like riding on frickin ice. Center tread would spin out under any power and the side knobs couldn't hold any hard wet surface either up or down....

So what's everyone's take on tough 29er tires that are excellent for climbing up wet rocks and roots and also good on the downs?

The 29er WildRock'r is an option, but was wondering what may be out there that is a little higher volume and maybe 2.4-2.5 width?
Whoa, you're on a 29er now?

What about butchers? I've had good luck even with my slaughter in the rear in eastern MA garbage, but it definitely suffers when it's really wet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'll be running an ardent rear, butcher front this weekend at mfest. My slaughter mentioned above crapped out because control casing. Ardent 2.4 non TR ready was available on another bike so I swapped. As long as I can get some traction climbing, I should be OK.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You may want to check out the Rekon or Rekon+ for back tire. Not sure what size tires/rims you have. But the Rekons are pretty "balloony" like an Ardent. So it conforms to roots and such and smooths things out a bit. But better tread pattern than the Ardents, IMO.

Otherwise for more grip up front? I'd go any of the Minions or Aggressors.

Last summer I rode a 29er Minion DHF with a 27.5 2.8" Rekon rear on my long travel 29er. Twas quite fun.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Running MM/Aggressor on one bike and MM/DHR2 on the other; both rears are dual compound while the MMs are orange stripe and trailstar. The MM out grips the Aggressor by quite a bit in the corners, the DHR2 does a better job holding its own. Aggressor has less rolling resistance and brakes better than expected.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Running MM/Aggressor on one bike and MM/DHR2 on the other; both rears are dual compound while the MMs are orange stripe and trailstar. The MM out grips the Aggressor by quite a bit in the corners, the DHR2 does a better job holding its own. Aggressor has less rolling resistance and brakes better than expected.
This mirrors my experience exactly except that I've had a Mich WR2 on the front. Love the aggressor as a rear tire.

Just tried to replace my front WR2 with a EXO DHR2 and I don't think it's gonna work out--the WR2 is much more trustworthy for our dry loose-ish trails. Gonna put the DHR2 on the back when my current aggressor wears out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This mirrors my experience exactly except that I've had a Mich WR2 on the front. Love the aggressor as a rear tire.

Just tried to replace my front WR2 with a EXO DHR2 and I don't think it's gonna work out--the WR2 is much more trustworthy for our dry loose-ish trails. Gonna put the DHR2 on the back when my current aggressor wears out.
Hmmm...

Starting to think about a WR2/Slaughter combo to replace my shitty HR2s. Maybe I should just start with the WR2 and keep running the HR2 out back...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Very interested in your results. I have WR2 reinforced on the rear and HR2 EXO on the front currently. The WR2 clearly outgrips, but I don't need a reinforced front tire usually - I put it on for my previous west coast/ Whistler trip.

DHR2 EXO for the front will be next after the HR2 wears out. If Spec BLKDMD comes out soon, a Butcher may go on the rear.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Very interested in your results. I have WR2 reinforced on the rear and HR2 EXO on the front currently. The WR2 clearly outgrips, but I don't need a reinforced front tire usually - I put it on for my previous west coast/ Whistler trip.

DHR2 EXO for the front will be next after the HR2 wears out. If Spec BLKDMD comes out soon, a Butcher may go on the rear.
That the WR2 is only offered in pretty beefy format is the bummer of the WR2 and why I tried the DHR2 (which I like fine and used to run front and rear, just not as good as the WR2). If they offered at 850g version, I'd def try it out cause for my local stuff I don't need that much beef for the front.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
That the WR2 is only offered in pretty beefy format is the bummer of the WR2 and why I tried the DHR2 (which I like fine and used to run front and rear, just not as good as the WR2). If they offered at 850g version, I'd def try it out cause for my local stuff I don't need that much beef for the front.
I mentioned it in another thread - Michelin should really offer the WR2 in a full range of sidewall weights and rubber compounds...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The new Wild Enduro tires have a heavier casing in the rear (like WR2) and a lighter but still stout front.

I recently replaced my DHF/Aggressor DD tires with these. Rolling resistance feels comparable but grip is excellent (rock, roots, loam, kitty litter) and ride quality is much better than DD casing.

I’m a fan and the WR2 is no longer my favorite tire.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
The new Wild Enduro tires have a heavier casing in the rear (like WR2) and a lighter but still stout front.

I recently replaced my DHF/Aggressor DD tires with these. Rolling resistance feels comparable but grip is excellent (rock, roots, loam, kitty litter) and ride quality is much better than DD casing.

I’m a fan and the WR2 is no longer my favorite tire.
Are they GumX or MagiX compounds?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Are they GumX or MagiX compounds?
Gum-x on both ends.
My understanding is that the new gumx 3D is the softer of the two compounds.

Magi-x is a harder compound that is made to perform at race pace or some such bullshit.

Wasn’t available anyway and I needed tires so bought what I could. No complaints thus far. Wider casing is bonus too, they’re comparable to 2.5 WT minions.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Gum-x on both ends.

Magi-x is a harder compound that is made to perform at race pace or some such bullshit.

Wasn’t available anyway and I needed tires so bought what I could. No complaints thus far. Wider casing is bonus too, they’re comparable to 2.5 WT minions.
No, Magi-x is the softer one.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Gum-x on both ends.

Fucking Michelin. :disgust1: They need to quit all this naming bullshit. I thought Magi-X was always the grippier compound. Those fuckers. :mad:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

Have you tried a Magic Mary up front? It has more grip than a DHR2 in my experience.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
No, Magi-x is the softer one.
No, not any more based on what I’ve read.
The new gumx3d is the softer of the two.

MajiX 2018 is is firmer for more support at pro/racing speeds. Based on their moto gp tires or some crap.

If you dig around on google enough it’s explained somewhere in a review.

Edit: from MBR review
Compound concept
This is where the interesting stuff happens. Normally a tyre company tries to utilise the softest rubber compounds for its high-end or ‘race’ tyres. Michelin however, has turned this concept on its head and actually utilizes a slightly harder compound for the MAGI-X version of the Wild Enduro. This rubber technology has been taken from Michelin’s Moto GP tyres and is designed to work best when pushed as hard as possible. This makes it the best option for racers and the super fast. For the rest of us mere mortals the GUM-X3D compound is the tyre to go for. With a more consistent level of grip and a more flexible construction for cornering stability, the GUM-X3D will deliver even when out for a gentle pootle.

Read more at https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/product_news/michelin-wild-enduro-369852#Uewmpv2fvhK5TTqu.99

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Can anyone report how the new Shwable ties hold up to rocks?
I haven't run the Magic's on the rear yet as I've paired it with Maxxis tyres for faster rolling on the rear, but I've run them in shale, sharp rocks and on slate without any issues/punctures yet. Longevity is much better than I expected given how soft the rubber is on the Addix Soft compounds.

Have you tried a Magic Mary up front? It has more grip than a DHR2 in my experience.
Absolutely. Not even comparable from my experiences. Best mixed condition front tyre I've run so far.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Lol, everything goes to 7? 5/7 there Michelin.

I hate this rubbish with tyre compounds having names instead of softness decriptions. Maxxis are just as bad, it used to go - Slow Reezay -> Super Tacky -> mediocre 3C -> unrideable dual -> Gary specific. Then it was all too obvious so they went with MaxxGrip, MaxTerra and MaxSpeed. Just give us durometer numbers or something please.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I only care about dry,sand, rock performance though.
A Minion DHF is still probably going to be my pick for typical Aussie conditions (DRY, gravel, dusty corners). Anywhere else with proper dirt, exposed roots or damp conditions I'll pick a Magic softalicious any day.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
No, not any more based on what I’ve read.
The new gumx3d is the softer of the two.

MajiX 2018 is is firmer for more support at pro/racing speeds. Based on their moto gp tires or some crap.

If you dig around on google enough it’s explained somewhere in a review.

Edit: from MBR review
Compound concept
This is where the interesting stuff happens. Normally a tyre company tries to utilise the softest rubber compounds for its high-end or ‘race’ tyres. Michelin however, has turned this concept on its head and actually utilizes a slightly harder compound for the MAGI-X version of the Wild Enduro. This rubber technology has been taken from Michelin’s Moto GP tyres and is designed to work best when pushed as hard as possible. This makes it the best option for racers and the super fast. For the rest of us mere mortals the GUM-X3D compound is the tyre to go for. With a more consistent level of grip and a more flexible construction for cornering stability, the GUM-X3D will deliver even when out for a gentle pootle.

Read more at https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/product_news/michelin-wild-enduro-369852#Uewmpv2fvhK5TTqu.99
So they didn't put enough corner knobs on the new tire, and it needs harder rubber to not turn into a squirmy pile if you push it hard? Cool.