Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So they didn't put enough corner knobs on the new tire, and it needs harder rubber to not turn into a squirmy pile if you push it hard? Cool.
Yeah, just like Porsche offers ceramic rotors because the standard rotors are completely useless for most drivers.

For too few knobs they’re more supportive than the dhf it replaced, but I don’t ride at Internet forum speeds.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, just like Porsche offers ceramic rotors because the standard rotors are completely useless for most drivers.

For too few knobs they’re more supportive than the dhf it replaced, but I don’t ride at Internet forum speeds.
I haven't ridden them to be clear, I just thought the side knob spacing looked suspect. And the hard rubber thing makes no sense.

The new avatar is awesome by the way :rofl:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Whoa, you're on a 29er now?

What about butchers? I've had good luck even with my slaughter in the rear in eastern MA garbage, but it definitely suffers when it's really wet.
Yep. Gotta Mega 290. It's fun. Yuge geometry is a different thing. Benefits and compromises like anything else. Funny listening to how dogmatic some folks are around it.

Kinda waiting for the new Wild Enduro 29 to be released. The Michelin rubber is the bee's knees. I've always preferred running higher pressure's and I'm learning that the Maxxis rubber is much more dependent on grip by running a lower psi.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ride report: I've been quite happy with the Soft Addix MM in the front so far. Rolling resistance is acceptable, good sidewall support even with sub-25PSI, very competent on wet roots. I have not lost a side knob yet either which is a nice change compared to my previous Schwalbe tires.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Ride report: I've been quite happy with the Soft Addix MM in the front so far. Rolling resistance is acceptable, good sidewall support even with sub-25PSI, very competent on wet roots. I have not lost a side knob yet either which is a nice change compared to my previous Schwalbe tires.
What's you local again? I liked Schwalbe but they would not last against the rocks and roots. If things have changed, that would be nice.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What's you local again? I liked Schwalbe but they would not last against the rocks and roots. If things have changed, that would be nice.
East coast roxx of New England. I typically got ~100 miles out of Schwalbe tires before ripping holes / knobs off, but the Addix MM is a champ.

And which casing, SuperGravity?
Nah, SnakeSkin. I don't destroy front tires as much as the rear ones, SS is fine in the front.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
@slyfink Finally got around to messing with tires. Had a chance to compare the DHF 2.3 and DHF 2.5 WT. Both on the same 25mm internal rim, both aired up to 25PSI. The older 2.3 tire is a rear tire so it's in the DD casing, this may affect how much it expands under pressure so I decided to measure at a pretty low pressure.

Definitely a bit rounder and less of that defined edge feeling when leaning the bike but it worked just fine. I was looking for more traction on the front end so I went with the 3C MaxxGrip while the old DHF 2.3 it was replacing was a MaxxTerra. Not sure how much of the additional grabbyness was from the rubber compound and how much was from the bigger contact patch. I have one day on some local trails in Oakland (Joaquin Miller) and one day in Santa Cruz (didn't get on anything crazy since I had my girlfriend with me) on this tire so far.

I still wish they made the DHF2.5 in a regular casing size. Guess my next move is to destroy my front wheel enough to need a new rim.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Merlin has orange addix MM supergravity for cheapish. Just grabbed one for the rear, rather than paying the extra $20 to try BLCK DEMN butcher or DHR2 DD.

Was a bit concerned orange Addix Soft would be harder than 3C Maxxterra, so held off on trying one in the front. No deals on the purple Snakeskins.

Seems like a lot of sales on Schwalbe right now, so maybe they are discontinuing and renaming everything again?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Seems odd, but thanks. What maxxis compound would you compare the Orange Soft Addix to?
@djjohnr
The tread patterns are too different for me to give a useful comparison just on the compound. I don't trust the squeeze test - I have DHFs in Supertacky and 3C, the 3Cs are softer but I prefer the grip of the Supertackys. For my local conditions (super baked and slippery hardpacked clay covered in "loam dust") the soft/orange MM grips better than any Maxxis tire I've ever run.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks, that sounds good to me. Looking forward to trying them.

As regards compounds, I think the 3C - Maxxterra is a bit hard for a front tire. It works fine in dry soft, but on rocks maybe not excellent.

Olga_icannot

Chimp
Aug 16, 2014
Seattle
Merlin has orange addix MM supergravity for cheapish. Just grabbed one for the rear, rather than paying the extra $20 to try BLCK DEMN butcher or DHR2 DD.
FWIW, Chain Reaction has 26" Supergravity Magic Mary in both soft and ultra soft for $53US. I tend to run Spec. or Maxxis tires but at that price I figured why not give them a shot. Seems like CR lowered the free shipping threshold to $49 too so a single tire ships for free. Here's hoping Schwalbe + 26" don't lead to my death.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
:panic::panic::panic:

You're living in the past!!

Now your options are 3C Maxx Terra, 3C Maxx Grip, or Dual (unless you're still running 26" tires or if we are talking about DH casings)

Similar to 3C Maxx Terra. Not as soft as 3C Maxx Grip.
Yeah, I used those two for the squeeze test point since both are DH casing. I also have some sets of 2.5WTs in DD Max Grip and EXO Dual Compound. I find 2.35 Snakeskin MM oranges give me more grip than 2.5WT DD DHF Max Grips in local conditions, but that should be due to tread pattern rather than compound or casing.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yeah? Try a dual-compound High Roller 2 on the front some time. :dead:
Already did. They shipped stock on my Capra. I ate shit on some roots on the first ride then blew out a turn on the second ride where I've never had issues before.

They were quickly replaced :banana:

I've got them sitting around in good condition if you want them. Seems like you're a big fan.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just moved to a 2.5 Maxx Grip from the 2.3 Maxx Terra (both DHF) and I agree. Much happier with extra grip up front.
I put a maxxgrip 2.5 minion DHF on up front in late May and I’ve liked it a lot. It’s starting to give up the ghost now, though. 2.5 months is pretty decent tire life for that much grip.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Already did. They shipped stock on my Capra. I ate shit on some roots on the first ride then blew out a turn on the second ride where I've never had issues before.

They were quickly replaced :banana:

I've got them sitting around in good condition if you want them. Seems like you're a big fan.
I just found out that they are actually really pretty good on moist, super-tacky dirt with no rocks or roots.

Then again, every other knobby tire on the planet is too under those conditions.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Was a bit concerned orange Addix Soft would be harder than 3C Maxxterra, so held off on trying one in the front. No deals on the purple Snakeskins.
They're good, just grab them. The Orange MM is still a really good tyre, maybe just a little bit worse in the wet than a Purple. They're both still better than current Maxxis front tyres IMO.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Ok I gave in and ordered - hard to pass up $55. Need to wear out this HRII 3C up front first. (The HRII side knobs work fine, don’t come at me.)

Dual Schwalbe MMs it will be and then on to the new Butcher after that.

What is this wet conditions you speak of?

They're good, just grab them. The Orange MM is still a really good tyre, maybe just a little bit worse in the wet than a Purple. They're both still better than current Maxxis front tyres IMO.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is that the new rubber compound that has nearly as stupid a name as Michelin's line of compounds? :D
Yep. I haven't ridden it, but a buddy tried the Hillbilly in that compound and also said that it was pretty much instant death on wet roots.