Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I thought @kidwoo was vouching for that compound? Does he never ride wet shit or something?
I just don't buy dumb tires like hillbillys :D

I rode down a sopping wet raining greens creek with that tire faster than my skills should have allowed. You know greens. That trail that's normally wet even when everything else is dry.....that one.

That's wet rock and roots though. Maybe they suck in mud? Maybe dapeach needs to realize he can run a tire that big about 5-8 psi lower than he normally does?

These questions and more on Obvious First Thoughts by kidwoo, brought to you by public radio international.

rokofullr: you know those drought years you hear about? Yeah it's muddy bike season. That's what that means. Biking. In mud. Up here. ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just don't buy dumb tires like hillbillys :D

That's wet rock and roots though. Maybe they suck in mud? Maybe dapeach needs to realize he can run a tire that big about 5-8 psi lower than he normally does?
2.6 Butcher?

I'm sure they don't make sense everywhere, but the Shorty is really good here in the winter when things get wet, and they're kinda the same idea as a Hillbilly. The tread pattern on the newer ones looks pretty good (for that genre of tire, which, yeah definitely needs soft ground to make sense). Unlike the old one which had like, 3 knobs on the whole tire.

I mean the stuff about the Hillbilly is coming from a buddy. I haven't ridden them. He is a good rider, and I agree with his bike opinions a lot of the time, but he's definitely just a moron maybe 5% of the time too. :D

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I had a 2.6 butcher and a 2.6 slaughter. I'm literally thinking about buying a different frame so those tires fit better. I liked the compound that much.

When you guys say not good in wet, do you mean not sticking to hard wet surfaces like roots, or because they gum up? That's probably the one situation I didn't ride them in too much.....sticky mud.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I rode it in SUPER dry dusty conditions (deep dust in what should be nice "loamer" trails) and it was awesome.

This was the first rain we'd had in quite a while, so maybe it was just because all the roots and rocks had a paste layer on them after all the dry weather, but on stuff where a Magic Mary Vert Star, or hell, even a DHF Maxxgrip was sticking, the Butcher was slithering this way and that. It was all fahked up. #sandlerbuffoon

I dunno, maybe I was having an off day. Either way, it is now hanging in my shed in wait. My new Magic Mary Super Soft is now mounted up and looking angry while catching the flies dumb enough to get too close in my shed.

And my Saints with 203 front rotor are also back in action.
151B080A-A6BF-4DB2-B792-B6106EC342C6.jpeg

Anyone want some TRPs????
693F8B6B-EBCE-4EBD-8EEE-F450B275E174.jpeg

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
He definitely meant not sticking to wet stuff. We don't get a ton of really gooey mud here. Just having no grip at all on wet roots was the complaint.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, 2.3 to 2.6 is a big jump.

While we're asking Santa for stuff, the trail bike tire that I really want is a 2.4 DHR 2 in the stickier 3C compound, Exo. The 2.5 DHF in that rubber is great, but the DHR definitely brakes better, as a tread pattern.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Yeah, 2.3 to 2.6 is a big jump.

While we're asking Santa for stuff, the trail bike tire that I really want is a 2.4 DHR 2 in the stickier 3C compound, Exo. The 2.5 DHF in that rubber is great, but the DHR definitely brakes better, as a tread pattern.
:stupid: I'm running the 2.5 DHF DD out front at the moment and it's a good one, but it's on the heavier side of things.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Is there a hard compound or bike park compound in Doubledown/Reinforced/whatever strong sidewall (~1000g) by any manufacturer?

I’ve been riding so much this year, that rear tire longevity has become an issue, and sticky rubber isn’t super necessary in the rear here.

EDIT: it looks like even DH tires in 27 and hard compound are scarce. I guess my choices are 3C DD or getting lucky on an oem DH on closeout somewhere.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is there a hard compound or bike park compound in Doubledown/Reinforced/whatever strong sidewall (~1000g) by any manufacturer?

I’ve been riding so much this year, that rear tire longevity has become an issue, and sticky rubber isn’t super necessary in the rear here.

EDIT: it looks like even DH tires in 27 and hard compound are scarce. I guess my choices are 3C DD or getting lucky on an oem DH on closeout somewhere.
Michelin WR2, GumX.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That's what I'm on right now, and want something to last longer. I meant a harder compound than these, and similar (Maxterra)

Yes it's a great tire!
I'm not sure if it has much more longevity than 3C MaxxTerra.

I will stick with the Michelin if I can buy more at $55 though. :headbang:

Michelin WR2, GumX.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am very happy with my summer Orange Snakey Mary / Slaughter 2.3 GRID gripton combo. My next pair for fall & winter is 2.6 / 2.3 Butcher GRID pair. I am very curious about that one.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Managed to pinch flat a 2.3 Exo DHF directly through a side knob today. Cut the knob right in half. :rofl:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Split the sidewall on the rear Michelin Wild Enduro a few weeks back. Not a svelte tire by any means. M70 wheel took hit like a champ but could use quick truing.

Three dynaplugs and many rides later tire is going strong.
Headed to VT for 4 days of DH and shuttles, will see if tire survives.

36B7D342-73B2-4214-9B93-4CAC1A070D75.png
E11829EB-A439-4D1D-A79A-4486D1BD20F9.png

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So... does that tire belong in this thread or another one? :D
Jury's still out but up to this point I was loving these tires.
I never had a failure with the WR2, so that's my standard, and other than this issue these tires have delivered.