Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So I'm now 4 slashes in 4 rides with these damn Maxxis EXO tires. They failed tubeless so I put in tubes until I buy something else....and slashed again. 25f 28r, 650B wheels with 25mm inner width rims. 185# bag of dicks.

Seriously, fuck these things. Time to fork over more money to the undeserving bike industry.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I thought the correct answer was downhil/DD casing?

You know what the definition of insanity is right?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I know the definition of laziness and having tubes sitting around...I'm also trying to avoid spending $150 for some faggy trail bike tires.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
So I'm now 4 slashes in 4 rides with these damn Maxxis EXO tires. They failed tubeless so I put in tubes until I buy something else....and slashed again. 25f 28r, 650B wheels with 25mm inner width rims. 185# bag of dicks.

Seriously, fuck these things. Time to fork over more money to the undeserving bike industry.
you must be doing it wrong. in 5+ years of running exos for hack-ass ruff trail riding (east coast rox included) with occasional dh days i have never, ever slashed a sidewall. burped, sure, every once in a while if i didn't keep on top of my pressure (although the tubeless-ready seemed to lock in quite nicely so fingers crossed). i weigh 165# and run 26", 26mm inner dia. rims at about the same pressures. your problem must therefore be too-big wheels, and one mm too small id.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
you must be doing it wrong. in 5+ years of running exos for hack-ass ruff trail riding (east coast rox included) with occasional dh days i have never, ever slashed a sidewall. burped, sure, every once in a while if i didn't keep on top of my pressure (although the tubeless-ready seemed to lock in quite nicely so fingers crossed). i weigh 165# and run 26", 26mm inner dia. rims at about the same pressures. your problem must therefore be too-big wheels, and one mm too small id.
Perhaps his rocks are just too sharp.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've been running the EXO's the last few years without issue. Have they started to suck recently??

Our rocks are sharp here, and lots of situations where you have to take low lines between rocks, so perhaps more opportunity for sidewall slashing? Still the same terrain I've been riding them on for years.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I came to post how awesome my first ride on my DHR II was. What an amazing upgrade from the Hans Dampf (to no ones surprise). Running EXO DHR II front and GRID Slaughter rear. Now I know what it's like to be able to corner...

@ Hack... Have your slashes all been on the rear tire? I'm hoping the GRID casing is tough enough for a rear tire. Otherwise I have a WTB Tough casing that will go on there...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
No, equal front and rear. 1x on tubeless for each, 1x tubed for each.

Pretty sure the Grid casing is tougher. I'm also pretty sure that most condoms are tougher.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Could be. It's been on multi-use trails in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. On one hand, they get a lot of traffic. On the other hand, they do get maintained.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Have you tried changing your name?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Their rear tyres suck, but the Mavic Crossmax Charge on the front is really good.
more beef in the sidewalls than the EXO's and pretty damn grippy for sure.

for the last week and a bit I've been experimenting with the TRS+ in the dual compound on the back of the bike.
So far no problems with air loss, these things love the wet rocks and roots!
BUT on the rear they are shit on muddy climbs (waaaay worse than the slippery Mavic Quest they replaced).
The ramped centre knobs just won't grip when you put any power thru them in the mud.
I could turn the tyre around to get climbing grip, but then I'd loose the awesome braking that I have.
I think these would make brilliant front tyres for rocks and roots, just not so great (for me riding up) on the rear.

The further west you get the sharper the rocks get. Fucking things are like scalpels in, say, AZ or OR...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Just go buy some specialized grid tires. Maxxis is all over the place with what they consider EXO now.

And no that doesn't mean a purgatory, you 29er humping fool. Butchers and slaughters. Nothing else need exist.
No more 29er actually. Though I still have it for sale.

Some Grid casing tires are looking the most reasonable price-wise actually.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Just go buy some specialized grid tires. Maxxis is all over the place with what they consider EXO now.

And no that doesn't mean a purgatory, you 29er humping fool. Butchers and slaughters. Nothing else need exist.
This, but like I said earlier in the thread the Hill Billy is also the "good" Grid casing.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's all sandstone around here. Landing/sliding through the low points in these rocks seems to do it. I'm pretty sure it was this exact section that did it yesterday actually. In the air coming off high left, landing in the shit in the middle, going off the screen lower right.

I wonder if it's just when the tire is loaded heavily and the sidewall is pushed out to the side it's seeing vertical rock edges?

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Following my load of EXO tires that have detonated recently, here is a double down Aggressor with 8 rides on it. Counting my lucky stars a big patch my buddy had held the tube in for the ride down the mtn. Pisgah National Forest NC.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Its it's own country Brah..... better build a wall around those foreign fuckers stat!
Oh and don't for get to make them pay for it or you'll cut their water off. :thumb:
Wall off California? that sounds intriguing

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
So sick of flat tyres on my trailbike right now. Tried an Exo HR2 with some success, think I'll go back to that. The DHR2 Exo I tried managed to somehow combine being heavy and slow rolling with pinch flatting constantly and having fairly average grip. Put an Ikon on for a long trail ride/race recently and it actually surprised me for its levels of grip/speed but flats too damn easily as well. Really don't want a DH tyre on my already overweight trail bike.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
What are you folks still discussing? If an unproven tweener-thickness sidewall will work out? If maxxis still knows how to make tires in anything but 26"? If california rocks are as sharp as beast-coast-rox? If woo's born-on-tire-freshness-date has any there there?

Get a DH tire and HTFU.

Alternatively, refer to http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/what-trail-bike-tire-casings-dont-suck.276601/#post-4135694
No need for dh tires...

2.4 Hr2 in exo up front and a grid slaughter in the rear....riding the same trails he does and I rarely flat...

Some of the newer exo tires seem lighter than the old ones...stick with the 2.4 Hr2's or dhf 2.3's..work great...if you want to ride the good trails around here you're in for 3000+ feet of climbing...not really fun with 1200g tires..

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
No need for dh tires...
Hear that Hacktastic? Now, get some of what wydopen recommends ... and if they tear, you'll know what to do.

This being RM, discussions will continue 5 more years.