Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
At 30 grams, it sounds more like a heavier fabric than more layers. :nerd:

SpeculationMonkey rulz! :hmm:
Silkworm is an exclusive material incorporated into the casing of select models, increasing puncture and tear resistance. Silkworm is featured under the tread as a breaker.

SilkShield offers protection from bead to bead whereas Silkworm is found under the tread only.

SilkShield provides an additional level of protection for sidewalls as well as under the tread.

DoubleDown

DoubleDown (DD) is the next step in the evolution of the dual-ply tire casing for enduro racing. Two 120 TPI casing layers reinforced with a butyl insert provide the enduro racer with the support and protection of a downhill tire, but in a lighter package.

https://www.maxxis.com/technology/bike-technology

Imo, the butyl insert is what makes the DD great. My problem has always been pinching tires, and DD has solved that. So EXO+ is a pass from me. Until I hear otherwise...

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Silkworm is an exclusive material incorporated into the casing of select models, increasing puncture and tear resistance. Silkworm is featured under the tread as a breaker.

SilkShield offers protection from bead to bead whereas Silkworm is found under the tread only.

SilkShield provides an additional level of protection for sidewalls as well as under the tread.

DoubleDown (DD) is the next step in the evolution of the dual-ply tire casing for enduro racing. Two 120 TPI casing layers reinforced with a butyl insert provide the enduro racer with the support and protection of a downhill tire, but in a lighter package.

https://www.maxxis.com/technology/bike-technology

Imo, the butyl insert is what makes the DD great. My problem has always been pinching tires, and DD has solved that. So EXO+ is a pass from me. Until I hear otherwise...
Have not yet tried DD, but it sounds like it would be a nice fit for me, if they made it in something I would like.
Such as a 26" DHR2 2.4 in MaxTerra.
Then maybe an Exo+ / DD Assguy in MaxGrip or ST for the steering end.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I’ve found DD tires really dead feeling.
They’re ok once the break in but I’m not a fan.

The butyl insert has been around for ages.
Back when CST made tires for WTB it was called Inner Peace.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are the EXO+ tires actually available anywhere? I ordered a new DHR II from Universal and it is a normal EXO sans +. I’m going to return it and hold out with my Rekon for a few more weeks...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are the EXO+ tires actually available anywhere? I ordered a new DHR II from Universal and it is a normal EXO sans +. I’m going to return it and hold out with my Rekon for a few more weeks...
No, and I don't think they will be imminently.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
i also think the Soft magic mary i have in the front may be wearing out faster than a maxxterra exo maxxis tire.
so far, I think it's worth it for the extra grip in the loose.