Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I gave a SuperTrail Soft version of the MM/BB a try over the fall / winter, and didn't like them. They're heavy as shit even in the trail casing, and don't have the ultra soft compound available then. Combined they felt slower than an EXO+ Assegai & EXO DHR with CushCore, and as you figured, felt less confident on off-camber. I never got a chance to see how the durability faired, as I took them off within a couple weeks.
What pressure did you run them at and as stated the purple ultra soft is a lot grippier. And at that grip astonishing long lasting as a front tire.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Got the Assegai / DHR2 combo on the DH bike. Really Really like it.
Downhill casings. Front is MaxxGrip and rear is Single (Boo, 26" only in 3C-MG, ST or Single) the others are just too much to pedal on the stupid transfers at the "local" hills. A Dual or 3C-MT would be very nice.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
The DHR2 2.4" DD/3C MaxxTerra is available in both 27 and 29. It will be my next rear tire, as I prefer Maxxterra for a grip/longevity compromise too.

Yes, all the Maxxis 2.3s have too puny of side knobs, imho.
been running that out back the past year or so, with a 2.5 dhf up front in the north carolina dirt/rocks/mostly loose over hard. no complaints. both doubledown casing. because the peace of mind is worth the weight penalty.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I actually didn't mind the dhr II or higj roller
I gave a SuperTrail Soft version of the MM/BB a try over the fall / winter, and didn't like them. They're heavy as shit even in the trail casing, and don't have the ultra soft compound available then. Combined they felt slower than an EXO+ Assegai & EXO DHR with CushCore, and as you figured, felt less confident on off-camber. I never got a chance to see how the durability faired, as I took them off within a couple weeks.
What psi did you run them?
Also what size ie width?

I have no issues landing drops off camber in hard pack shit dirt and ripping what we call kitty litter for dirt here...only time I had an issue was either too low of psi and they felt sluggish but so have any tire I've ran and the sidewall rolled a bit..tried some 2.8 maxxis NEVER AGAIN.. felt like I was wrestling a marshmallow and losing...
If you have too thin of rims and expose too much sidewall...they are a larger volume tire.

Not saying they didn't work for you we all have different preferences for how and what we ride
Just trying to see if you gave em a fair shake or possibly a reason unforseen..or it could be they just didn't work for you...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
What pressure did you run them at and as stated the purple ultra soft is a lot grippier. And at that grip astonishing long lasting as a front tire.
I was running the 29x2.40s. Ran 20 and 21 psi in the front, 22 and 23 psi in the rear. I weigh 165 and ride trails that don't have rocks.

I've heard great things about the purple ultra soft compound, but 1,330g for a front tire (29x2.40 SG) can fuck right off.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've heard great things about the purple ultra soft compound, but 1,330g for a front tire (29x2.40 SG) can fuck right off.
Sucks they dropped/changed the 2.35" tyre. Not sure why but there's a significant weight difference between the 2.4 and 2.35 versions from what I've seen, and they really don't appear to be much bigger.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Sucks they dropped/changed the 2.35" tyre. Not sure why but there's a significant weight difference between the 2.4 and 2.35 versions from what I've seen, and they really don't appear to be much bigger.
They apparently really beefed up all their casings with the whole new "Super" change last year. Maybe they got tired of getting a bad wrap for having casings made out of tissue paper and knobs that tore off easily? Even the Super Trail casings got way heavier than the old Addix SnakeSkin ones. I previously had a set of 29x2.35 Addix Soft Snake Skin Magic Marys that were between 900-1000g, and the new Super Trail 29x2.40 was 1230. I have no idea why they don't make an UltraSoft Super Trail version now - it'd be fine for a tough trail tire.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
1400g on my scale. i recently swapped from SG MM / BB to DD DHR2 / EXO+AG (fuckyeahacronyms) and dropped a full pound of rotating weight. i'm not heavy and/or smashy enough to *really* need a SG casing anyways, just need ultrasoft rubber for our wetcoast conditions. an ultrasoft supertrail MM would sure be nice. i hate paying maxxis pricing (esp. with how quickly they get used up).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
BTW, DHRIIs are out of stock nearly everywhere in 29" DD Terra 2.5 flavour... grab some now if you need. I think it's a very popular tire.

been running that out back the past year or so, with a 2.5 dhf up front in the north carolina dirt/rocks/mostly loose over hard. no complaints. both doubledown casing. because the peace of mind is worth the weight penalty.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So educate me on e13 tires? Any experience? Compounds?
27/2.35 TRS Race is one of my favorite front tires. Good grip, rolling resistance OK, no issues tubeless, great side knobs, wears OK. Works much better than certain *cough*ock'r*cough* tires at much less weight on my trails. I have one on le bike now. Other e13 tires suck.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
27/2.35 TRS Race is one of my favorite front tires. Good grip, rolling resistance OK, no issues tubeless, great side knobs, wears OK. Works much better than certain *cough*ock'r*cough* tires at much less weight on my trails. I have one on le bike now. Other e13 tires suck.
Seems like they are on 3rd revision. Kinda heavy. What casing in maxxis flavor would u compare their trail casing to?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Seems like they are on 3rd revision. Kinda heavy. What casing in maxxis flavor would u compare their trail casing to?
Exo+, ish for their lightest offering.

I like them for a faster rolling tire, oriented towards drier/firmer conditions that still grips really well. Mostly run the enduro casing. They can be insanely hard to get on and off though. The bead is really, really tight.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Exo+, ish for their lightest offering.

I like them for a faster rolling tire, oriented towards drier/firmer conditions that still grips really well. Mostly run the enduro casing. They can be insanely hard to get on and off though. The bead is really, really tight.
Thx good to know. Prolly give em a shot. Maxxis must be gold plated lately, becoming rare and spendy.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
As I said in the DH thread, last weekends race we did a quick look over the shuttle trailers and seriously 90% of the field was running Assegai\DHR2 combos
Scott's DH team manager recently wrote on a french forum that Assegai and DHR2 in different constellation covers 95% of the needs of his riders. Assegai front and dhr2 back is by far the most used combo

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
i run 27.5...and will likely try something different on the back next time. i think i prefer a dhf, actually. but will still check on supply...
For our dirt I've been loving the aggressor 2.5 DD for a while out back and I've been fine on an EXO assegai out front. I've always preferred some rolling speed out back and knowing that the rear will drift before the front lets go. No issues with local stuff or the Piz either. The 2.5 aggressor is a much better tire than the 2.3 in terms of grip and predictability IMO. Hard to find those aggressors right now tho.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Trek/Bontrager's new Assegai/DHR2 tyres

I've never run the Bontrager tyres - anyone know if the casings are any good?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I've been running an XR4 on the back of my big dumb hardtail. Not very rocky around here so cutting a sidewall is hard to do, but plenty of roots. Recently noticed the rear rim is beat to shit but the tire has been fine, so fairly impressed with the abuse it has taken.

Also have been running an SE4 on the back of the full suspension bike. It has lived a much easier life but as also been fine.

For comparison, I have destroyed two EXO casings on the fully on the same trails in less time than I have ran the Bontragers.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Like westy above, I've had good look with both the XR4 and SE5 models I've tried. Just did a bumpy mountain mission in May with a new XR4 out back and it survived with no issues (and this is the 800-900 gram version). I don't generally run super low pressure, but I was pretty happy with the sidewall performance. Will continue to bang.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I’ve also had luck with the XR4 and XR5 on the trail bike. They wear well and have dealt with my 200 pounds admirably. Frequently priced pretty reasonably as well.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
We just started a Vittoria account so I ordered a few each of all their MTB tires except the Mezcal XC tire and I didn't get any in "XC" casing. Their "Trail" and "Enduro" casings are supposed to be similar to EXO+ and Double Down. They're all available in 2.35" or 2.6", which on paper sounded a little too small or too big. I was assured their 2.6 is similar to an Assegai 2.5, rather than a Dissector 2.6 (which is kinda a "plus" size), so I ordered all 2.6s. No rubber compound options. Their MSRP is $10-30 less than Maxxis so that alone seemed reason enough to try carrying them. When I get back from my DH vacation in BuckoW world they should be in so I'll give'em a try. Anyone have any experience with them?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
We just started a Vittoria account so I ordered a few each of all their MTB tires except the Mezcal XC tire and I didn't get any in "XC" casing. Their "Trail" and "Enduro" casings are supposed to be similar to EXO+ and Double Down. They're all available in 2.35" or 2.6", which on paper sounded a little too small or too big. I was assured their 2.6 is similar to an Assegai 2.5, rather than a Dissector 2.6 (which is kinda a "plus" size), so I ordered all 2.6s. No rubber compound options. Their MSRP is $10-30 less than Maxxis so that alone seemed reason enough to try carrying them. When I get back from my DH vacation in BuckoW world they should be in so I'll give'em a try. Anyone have any experience with them?
I've been through a set of "Trail" Gomas (discontinued model, 2.4 F, 2.25 R) and while I liked the casing and rubber compound, their shape was too tall/rounded for my likings, leading to the corner knobs sitting too low on the shoulder. And once the grippier surface compound got worn out (which unfortunately didn't take that much), the exposed harder substrate made them a death trap on wet and loose over hardpack. Came back to Maxxis DHRs afterwards.

I'd say their "Trail" casing is a bit more supportive than the regular EXO on Maxxis. Their volume always measures taller and narrower than advertized, at least for the XC models my fellows have been riding and the Gomas I went through.

I've been tempted to try a set of their newer models (Mazza F, Martello R) but since I haven't been riding that much I never got up to the point of ordering them.

Looking forward to your experience/review!

EDIT: I've just noticed they discontinued their DH line. Bummer.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I ran Gomas in the past and was always impressed by the casings and the compound (for trail use). Agree that the profile was too round. When those went away, I tried some of the new "graphene" tires and they were really squirmy and traction on wet roots was spectacularly poor. Bummed as I'd have liked new tire profile / tread pattern on the old Goma carcass. Kinda like the Mich WR2, just leave construction the same and add some Maxxis copy cat patterns. It's not that hard.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I ran Gomas in the past and was always impressed by the casings and the compound (for trail use). Agree that the profile was too round. When those went away, I tried some of the new "graphene" tires and they were really squirmy and traction on wet roots was spectacularly poor. Bummed as I'd have liked new tire profile / tread pattern on the old Goma carcass. Kinda like the Mich WR2, just leave construction the same and add some Maxxis copy cat patterns. It's not that hard.
Mazzas are actually some rework of the Gomas, at least the center blocks look pretty similar, but with a squarer profile. Maybe the Enduro casing is worth it.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been through a set of "Trail" Gomas (discontinued model, 2.4 F, 2.25 R) and while I liked the casing and rubber compound, their shape was too tall/rounded for my likings, leading to the corner knobs sitting too low on the shoulder. And once the grippier surface compound got worn out (which unfortunately didn't take that much), the exposed harder substrate made them a death trap on wet and loose over hardpack. Came back to Maxxis DHRs afterwards.

I'd say their "Trail" casing is a bit more supportive than the regular EXO on Maxxis. Their volume always measures taller and narrower than advertized, at least for the XC models my fellows have been riding and the Gomas I went through.

I've been tempted to try a set of their newer models (Mazza F, Martello R) but since I haven't been riding that much I never got up to the point of ordering them.

Looking forward to your experience/review!

EDIT: I've just noticed they discontinued their DH line. Bummer.
re the tall and narrow comment: what (inner) width rims are you running them on?