Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's okay man. You can like tires that I talk shit about. I've been biking a long time. I've never had or even known anyone to get continental tires to last. Maybe they've improved. But I've wasted too much money on crap from them in the past and watched too many other people do the same. They make lots of tires that grip okay in a general sense due largely to oversizing and soft rubber. If they're working for you, great. Just ignore me.
Don't get me wrong, Conti was always "awesome car and road bike tires, MTB, not so much" for me. But some of their newer efforts seem to be legit. I am mainly on Maxxis and Intense tires because Schwalbe suck! Don't last, don't grip or if they do they are super slow rolling, pop off rims when run tubeless, puncture way easier than Maxxis and most of the times the hole is too big for the sealant to close it. On top of it their TableTop was seriously heavier than advertised and CS said: variations in production. Yeah right, never seen this with Maxxis.

That leaves me interested in an allround tire similar to Magic Marry that works. So Baron is on the list.
And I know you probably suggest a Kenda Nevegal because it is the favorite tire of RC and MBA, but I fell in that trap already, thanks. ;) :weee:

Real world pic of Baron Projekt:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I had three Conti casings faililing terribly, always got a free replacement, but two times it was a UST Rubber Queen weighing 1.2 kg. Thanks, done.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't get me wrong, Conti was always "awesome car and road bike tires,
STOP RIGHT THERE!

Conti road bike tyre carcasses suck big time too.
Those stupid brown exposed threads in the side of the casings delaminate about 1000-1500 miles before the actual tread wears out.
Never liked a single conti MTB tyre. All their tyre designs I have ever tried had too rounded a profile for my liking.

I don't even get this thread.

Single ply Maxxis tyres are absolutely fine for trail riding if run at decent pressures and you're not a complete muppet with line choice.

Plenty muppets do trail ride with dual plys...

Make your mind up and suck it up!

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Don't get me wrong, Conti was always "awesome car and road bike tires, MTB, not so much" for me. But some of their newer efforts seem to be legit. I am mainly on Maxxis and Intense tires because Schwalbe suck! Don't last, don't grip or if they do they are super slow rolling, pop off rims when run tubeless, puncture way easier than Maxxis and most of the times the hole is too big for the sealant to close it. On top of it their TableTop was seriously heavier than advertised and CS said: variations in production. Yeah right, never seen this with Maxxis.

That leaves me interested in an allround tire similar to Magic Marry that works. So Baron is on the list.
And I know you probably suggest a Kenda Nevegal because it is the favorite tire of RC and MBA, but I fell in that trap already, thanks. ;) :weee:

Real world pic of Baron Projekt:
intense still makes tires?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Dear god.

Intense bikes (to the point that it's your username), vee rubber, and continental tires........

We gotta have an intervention before suntour or ellsworth enters the picture. This is getting dangerous.
He said Jehova! Where are the stones?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
intense still makes tires?
Nope, but I bought a stack NOS when one vendor kicked them out for like under $5-8 a pop. Heavy, but crazy how good those Intruder and 909s can be in the right conditions. And they were ahead of time: their 2.5 is like Plus size these days. :D

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
STOP RIGHT THERE!

Conti road bike tyre carcasses suck big time too.
Those stupid brown exposed threads in the side of the casings delaminate about 1000-1500 miles before the actual tread wears out.
They make the GP4000 with not rubber coated sidewalls?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Dear god.

Intense bikes (to the point that it's your username), vee rubber, and continental tires........

We gotta have an intervention before suntour or ellsworth enters the picture. This is getting dangerous.
You can relax, I never owned an Ellsworth or anything Suntour. :D
But yeah, I had a serious Intense addiction. But luckily they cured that for me by moving most of their production overseas. ;)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
4 Seasons

if a company can't make a durable premium winter version I'm fucked if I'm using their race tyres.
Why would you buy winter tires in a weight weenie skinwall version????? :wtf:
I'm so confused... what the hell are you guys talking about?!?! car tires? road bike tires? This thread has gone from "which tires are good?", to "these tires suck", to car tires?!!?! Now I'm doubting whether I did the right thing buying my Conti Tires for my car... Oh Ridemonkey, you so crazy!!!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why would conti manufacture winter tires in a weight weenie skinwall version????? :wtf:
FWIW I ride winter tyres all year round.
Yay Scotland!
The (not Conti) tyres I now choose to use have superior ride quality, grip and durability to 4Seasons and are actually lighter.

Would you buy shitty (heavy) tyres for a carbon TCR?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Winter bike?

Ha ha... FUCK OFF!

Neither me or any of my 10 bikes is a PUSSY who's afraid of cold or rain. Thanks.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Winter bike?

Ha ha... FUCK OFF!

Neither me or any of my 10 bikes is a PUSSY who's afraid of cold or rain. Thanks.
I needed an excuse to buy another bike, so declaring the old one as winter bike did the trick. :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Our lowest recorded temperature is -27C
It's never been too cold to ride my mike here.

Sometimes I've even been known to wear gloves

*waves Cock*

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Our lowest recorded temperature is -27C
It's never been too cold to ride my mike here.

Sometimes I've even been known to wear gloves

*waves Cock*
Gawd, PLEASE tell us more about how tough you are...

Would you like the rest of us mere mortals to form a line to blow you? Or shall we just go for it all at once?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
FWIW I ride winter tyres all year round.
Yay Scotland!
The (not Conti) tyres I now choose to use have superior ride quality, grip and durability to 4Seasons and are actually lighter.

Would you buy shitty (heavy) tyres for a carbon TCR?
I've got your winter tire right here.
57889804-Frosty+Bottomsmall.jpg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ha ha... a few years back during the worst winter we'd had here for a few years I went night riding locally with a mate on his new fatbike. I rode my semi slick shod dirt jump bike as usual. half way up the first climb (as expected) I had to push. a whole 50 metres further on so did he. apparently it was the wrong kind of snow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ha ha... a few years back during the worst winter we'd had here for a few years I went night riding locally with a mate on his new fatbike. I rode my semi slick shod dirt jump bike as usual. half way up the first climb (as expected) I had to push. a whole 50 metres further on so did he. apparently it was the wrong kind of snow.
Yeah, I've noticed on all the automotive boards when you start talking about winter and places where you actually need studded tires that there's always one guy that feels the need to post about how he drives a 69 camaro with racing slicks and drives it across frozen mountain passes on glare ice.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah, I've noticed on all the automotive boards when you start talking about winter and places where you actually need studded tires that there's always one guy that feels the need to post about how he drives a 69 camaro with racing slicks and drives it across frozen mountain passes on glare ice.
Fury Road would have one fuck of a long dull film had you guys got your way...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
3 shuttle laps today - 2 at White Ranch and one on Chimney Gulch. Lots of rocks were bashed at mid to high 20's psi. No flats were incurred. Michelins still look pretty solid from a wear perspective. I like 'em.