Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry if I missed this earlier, but does anyone know if Maxxis has any plans to expand the range of tire sizes available with the DD casing? Looking for a Minion DHR II with the DD casing, but they only come in a 2.3 from what I can tell, which is pretty pinner.

The minion page on the website doesn't even list the DD casing as an option. Is that casing being discontinued?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I sense you are not the biggest fan of Schwalbe thread designs. To my excuse, I bought a pair for $20 and only use it on my winter bike, for which it performs amicably.

PS: The tire is not on backwards.
Kidwoo's point is that those work better when mounted backwards from how Schwalbe says you should.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
AKA: The Comp 16 complex. I miss messing with folks heads the first few years those things were popular.

Kid has this down. You don't ever tell anyone this revelation until they've had at least 2 months running their tyre the wrong way round. ;)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
But....but......
Kidwoo's point is that those work better when mounted backwards from how Schwalbe says you should.
AKA: The Comp 16 complex. I miss messing with folks heads the first few years those things were popular.

Kid has this down. You don't ever tell anyone this revelation until they've had at least 2 months running their tyre the wrong way round. ;)
:bonk: :oops:

I see. They are confusing for sure. For riding in snow, I don't really care that much though. :homer:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Sorry if I missed this earlier, but does anyone know if Maxxis has any plans to expand the range of tire sizes available with the DD casing? Looking for a Minion DHR II with the DD casing, but they only come in a 2.3 from what I can tell, which is pretty pinner.

The minion page on the website doesn't even list the DD casing as an option. Is that casing being discontinued?
The NZ distributor has them listed.... NZ retail looks to be about $119.90, so not at the cheap end of the market.
MM95B MAX 27.5 x 2.40 WT MINION DHR II 3C/TR/DD MAXX TERRA FOLDABLE

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Since all the WC DH guys will be elsewhere next weekend I think I have a real chance of winning 1st over all in the Sea Otter Classic Mostly Downhill. Those other dudes who show up like Mitch Ropelato and Kyle Strait aren't very fast.

In the interest in shaving a few .01s I'm trying to optimize my tire choice. I'm down to two options based on what I have on hand.

1.) Front - DHF, 2.3, 3C MaxTerra, EXO
Rear - DHF, 2.3, 3C MaxTerra, DD

2.) Front - DHF, 2.3, 3C MaxTerra, EXO
Rear - HRII, 2.4, 60a, EXO

I also have a DHF (2.3, 3C MaxTerra, DD) and a Magic Mary (orange, snake skin) lying around but I don't think those will provide the low rolling resistance I'm looking for.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The Sea Otter DH course is pretty wide open; I'd run a 2.4/2.5 Maxxis for more grip and I wouldn't run an EXO in the rear. Also you may want those Magic Marys or similar if it rains.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Rolling resistance, David, is a feminist issue...

:D
I am a registered male feminist so it's ok

The Sea Otter DH course is pretty wide open; I'd run a 2.4/2.5 Maxxis for more grip and I wouldn't run an EXO in the rear. Also you may want those Magic Marys or similar if it rains.
Rain possible Wednesday night/Thursday morning as usual. Probably sunny the rest of the weekend as usual. I'm bringing the MM either way cause I've got space in the truck and there's no reason not to.

I'd run a DD HRII if I had one. That HRII a60 is one of the tires that came stocked and there's only like one rock on that course I'd have be trying really hard to actually flat unless something goes really wrong. I've ridden that HRII on some of the dry flat out trails around us and it's fine.

I guess the real question is what rolls faster DHF, 3C MaxTerra, DD in 2.3 or HRII, a60, EXO in 2.4????????

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Need to replace rear tire on trail bike. Got two options.
What to do? :confused:

How do those Michelins go in loamy, rooty terrain? Are they more of a rocky, gravely specific thing? Thrying to pick a rear Enderpo tyre for BC later this year.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
How do those Michelins go in loamy, rooty terrain? Are they more of a rocky, gravely specific thing? Thrying to pick a rear Enderpo tyre for BC later this year.
IMMO they are right like you described them. I did not like them as soon as it got a bit wet and rooty. Wet and rocks, no problem.
Ah, just read about the rear usage. I have no idea. Take a DHR2 for that.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ah, just read about the rear usage. I have no idea. Take a DHR2 for that.
Cheers, trying to decide on something for BC trails. The only DHR2 experience I had sucked but it was the dual compound rubbish. A proper compound is probably a completely different animal.

rscecil007

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007

FWIW, I contacted Maxxis a week or so ago to ask if they were going to release a DHR2 2.4 WT in the dual compound and double down casing, they said no plans...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cheers, trying to decide on something for BC trails. The only DHR2 experience I had sucked but it was the dual compound rubbish. A proper compound is probably a completely different animal.
I like the DHR2 a lot as a rear PNW tire.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I saw a few yesterday at cyclepaths in truckee. They're calling the DD "dh casing" now.

edit: for mtb tires, not roadbikes FWIW

I would think 1200+g tire with a folding bead is DD

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-311-140-minion-dhr-ii

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not with a folding bead they're not.
Oh weird. I only looked at the 26" ones, which are all listed as "WIRE" at your link. Huh.

They do still list a 650b 2.3 DD though. 1000g. Same tire in EXO is 800g. 2.4 EXO is 900g. So I think those 1200g, 2.4 "folding" DH tires are something different and new.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh weird. I only looked at the 26" ones, which are all listed as "WIRE" at your link. Huh.
Yeah I think it's just renaming the DD ones. The tires I saw were 27.5 x 2.4 (non-WT), folding bead, heavy, and had a DD logo on the side, but the plastic display thing said "dh casing" on it. Or vice versa, didn't care enough to imprint it.

The pisser is of course in OGripper's case, the one 29er tire they offer is a DD max grip 3C which isn't something you'd likely want on the back of your trail bike.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yeah I think it's just renaming the DD ones. The tires I saw were 27.5 x 2.4 (non-WT), folding bead, heavy, and had a DD logo on the side, but the plastic display thing said "dh casing" on it. Or vice versa, didn't care enough to imprint it.

The pisser is of course in OGripper's case, the one 29er tire they offer is a DD max grip 3C which isn't something you'd likely want on the back of your trail bike.
The TR DH tires are 60tpi and about 100g heavier than the 120tpi TR DD tires.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Jeezus. And your terrain is mostly loamy dirt, no?

How long did they last?
There are rocks here and there too... I ran this all winter. My other ones I ran previously didn't wear so quickly. I suspect maybe they either froze and got brittle on one of my rides, or I started cornering a lot harder. Not sure.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Meh. Back tires go quick.

My rear g5s look like that after two days at whistler.

In more important news. I feel like I should let you know you have a carbon handlebar on your bike. Just fyi. The transition between "usable" and should be replaced happens even faster with those. Some would say instantaneous.