Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So after my countless posts on here worried that the "WT" tires would be less than ideal on 25 id rims, I sucked it up and bought one. I now have a 2.4 WT DHR2 in EXO+ in the front on an Arch MK3, and a 2.3 DHR2 in DD on a Flow EX in the rear.

I weighed both tires before mounting and the 2.3 DD came in at 1004g, and the 2.4 EXO+ came in at 932g. While stiffer and thicker than a plain EXO casing, the EXO+ is noticeably less stiff than the DD. I think the main difference is that the DD has that extra plastic protector at the bead. For 70g, I think I prefer having that extra protection and stiffness of DD on my back wheel.

Two rides in (granted in hero dirt conditions), and all is right with the world. First ride I had to get used to all that extra grip in the front, I was actually turning in too much and going off line. Straight-line bombing down rough trails is fantastic. Creeping down steep mossy rock faces is good too. Grabbing a handful of brakes on loose over hard when I noticed I'd blown past the entrance to the trail led to stopping much quicker than the last time I did the same thing in the same spot. I haven't noticed much difference in difference in rolling resistance, except on the ashphalt sections. Overall impressions are :thumb::thumb:

FWIW, the tires I replaced were a 2.3 Butcher Grid in the front (that got a sidewall cut at the bead from a pinch flat) and a 2.3 Aggressor DD in the rear. I have to agree with others on here that the rubber compound on the Butchers sucks donkeys nuts in the wet and the Grid casing is caca. Aggressors are fine when new, but I find their performance fades quickly once they get the least bit worn.

edited to add: the knobs on the 2.4 are much bigger and deeper than on the 2.3. Not entirely sure what difference that makes.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Rubber compound matters here too. Maxxis doesn't make the DHRII in a 2.4, Maxx Grip, Exo casing but they should. I'd run those on the front of trail bikes if they did, but instead mostly go for the 2.5 DHF in that same configuration because the better rubber trumps the improved braking of the DHR if making a true apples-apples comparison of the two.
:stupid:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Tried the Spesh Eliminator 2.6 Grids...piles of hot garbage. At sensible pressures they feel like bouncy basketballs, but if you lower pressure there’s no support. In both cases the grip is a joke at any lean angle. They ride nothing like the 2.3 I tried.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Haven't tried the Verdict yet as the local importer hasn't brought that tyre into NZ yet but I totally rate the WTB Judge's ability in the wet.
Hooks up better than the 29x2.5 DHF on the front of my bike in Wellingtons wet rocks, roots and mud.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Haven't tried the Verdict yet as the local importer hasn't brought that tyre into NZ yet but I totally rate the WTB Judge's ability in the wet.
Hooks up better than the 29x2.5 DHF on the front of my bike in Wellingtons wet rocks, roots and mud.
I looked at those in the shop last week, same weight as DH casing Assegais.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm digging my 650b x 2.4 Exo+ DHR2s a lot so far, running 22 and 24 psi tubeless on dt ex471 rims and it seems to be the sweet spot for my riding, style and weight. On really hard cornering I managed to get burping sounds but no pressure loss occurred.

So far so good.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
What's dhr 2 in maxxterra casing like as a rear trail tire? Not too draggy?

Are 2.3 maxxis high rollers fine on 30 mm inner width rims or do they get too square?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
HR or HR2? I'm running a 2.3 tubeless ready HR2 as a rear tire on a 30mm inner width rim. Previously had the non-TR 2.4 one there. To my surprise, both tires measured THE FUCKING EXACT SAME, 56mm at the casing if memory serves me well. It's not too square, with 25-28 PSI.

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
What's dhr 2 in maxxterra casing like as a rear trail tire? Not too draggy?
The dhr 2 is my go to rear tire. I have ran it in the maxxterra compound and didn’t notice the difference in peddling. But it wear out a lot fast than I had hoped.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
HR or HR2? I'm running a 2.3 tubeless ready HR2 as a rear tire on a 30mm inner width rim. Previously had the non-TR 2.4 one there. To my surprise, both tires measured THE FUCKING EXACT SAME, 56mm at the casing if memory serves me well. It's not too square, with 25-28 PSI.
HR2. Recently replaced the 26" rear rim with a 27.5" one. I have a HR2 and DHF both in 2.3 that I can use but I was thinking of getting another 2.4 DHR 2 for a bit more volume and comfort because I'm on a hardtail. Thanks for the info. Surprised the 2.3 and 2.4 measured the same.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Surprised the 2.3 and 2.4 measured the same.
Yup, same happened to me. I happen to have a pretty good "eye-o-meter" so when I mounted the TR 2.3 and looked at the front non-TR 2.4, both inflated to 28 PSI, I said "WTF?" and ran for my calipers. Upon measuring, I confirmed both tires measured 56mm on the casing and about 59 on the side knobs. I think I have a picture of both wheels side by side somewhere. I'll upload it if I find it.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Yup, same happened to me. I happen to have a pretty good "eye-o-meter" so when I mounted the TR 2.3 and looked at the front non-TR 2.4, both inflated to 28 PSI, I said "WTF?" and ran for my calipers. Upon measuring, I confirmed both tires measured 56mm on the casing and about 59 on the side knobs. I think I have a picture of both wheels side by side somewhere. I'll upload it if I find it.
No, I meant I was surprised by your finding that both tires measured the same. :D
Btw, how much do maxxis tires cost over there? Here, some online vendors (including fb) sell maxxterra and some maxxgrip tires for $40 or less. This includes dhf, dhr 2, hr 2 and assegai.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The dhr 2 is my go to rear tire. I have ran it in the maxxterra compound and didn’t notice the difference in peddling. But it wear out a lot fast than I had hoped.
I had the same observation. It wore out a little faster than I'd hoped.

That said, performance didn't degrade too much as it wore out, unlike the Aggressor I had on before. I found the Aggressor is great when it's new, but the second it starts to wear, it somehow becomes useless. The DHR2 is my new go-to, mainly because of the better wear characteristics, but also for better cornering, better performance in the wet and better braking. I didn't notice much of a difference in rolling resistance either (except on the road).

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I had the same observation. It wore out a little faster than I'd hoped.

That said, performance didn't degrade too much as it wore out, unlike the Aggressor I had on before. I found the Aggressor is great when it's new, but the second it starts to wear, it somehow becomes useless. The DHR2 is my new go-to, mainly because of the better wear characteristics, but also for better cornering, better performance in the wet and better braking. I didn't notice much of a difference in rolling resistance either (except on the road).
Have you tried a DD 2.3 Minion SS in the rear yet? Much more predictable than the Aggressor, IMHO; and with real side knobs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Have you tried a DD 2.3 Minion SS in the rear yet? Much more predictable than the Aggressor, IMHO; and with real side knobs.
I think I tried the EXO version, which didn't last too long. But that's a good point. I might see about picking one up for next summer. But the tire I get may come down to cost: the SG Rock Razor was pretty decent when I tried it, and the I liked the Slaughter quite a bit (until I cut the sidewall of the GRID casing). I might see if they offer them with the Black Diamond casing. Edited to add: nope. No Slaughter in BlckDmnd. No big loss, their other tires are close to $100 cndn pesos.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Rubber compound matters here too. Maxxis doesn't make the DHRII in a 2.4, Maxx Grip, Exo casing but they should. I'd run those on the front of trail bikes if they did, but instead mostly go for the 2.5 DHF in that same configuration because the better rubber trumps the improved braking of the DHR if making a true apples-apples comparison of the two.
Your prayers have been answered.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Not until they make that tire in a proper diameter they haven't.

I didn't realize they were doing a 29er though, so maybe that's encouraging? But the 27.5 version doesn't exist.
Damn, and I was within a couple of inches! That is almost as good as horseshoes and hand-grenades.

BTW - I thought the proper diameter was 26" :monkey:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Friend of mine just switched to onza tires because he gets them for free. He has the Aquila on his dh bike and the citius/ibex on his trail bike. He said the aquila is grippy but wears fast being 40a. It reminds him of the butcher. He set it up it tubeless (tirecare sealant). He is quite impressed with the citius which offers a lot of grip. He usually runs 28 psi front and rear (apparently if you corner hard enough you will burp any tire).

http://i68.tinypic.com/2rhlfsy.jpg[/IMG]']http://i68.tinypic.com/2rhlfsy.jpg[/IMG]']http://i68.tinypic.com/2rhlfsy.jpg[/IMG]']http://i67.tinypic.com/2e2gdie.jpg[/IMG]']
Your buddy still riding Aquilas? I saw a review of the trail version over on Bikerumor, and it piqued my curiosity... but it's hard to trust someone who doesn't like the party channel on tires... so I'm wondering what teh :monkey: thinks...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anyone having fun in the rear with a Dissector yet? I've order one in 27/2.4, only Exo but I'll run it ghetto tubeless.
Yes, Exo on the back of the 29r trailbike.
Hardpack forest trails with leaves / pine needles.
Had a 2.4 Rekon on for the summer. Good on the hardpack stuff, but it is shallow so will not punch through falls leaves / pine straw. So mid-late fall I picked up the new rubber but only got a few rides on it before winter arrived. Initial impressions are positive, It rolls very well, not as well as a Rekon, but considering the knob size and spacing, it is surprisingly fast. It seems to have no problem with the leaf and pine litter or any loose over I have encountered. Unless I find something weird about it after more miles and varied terrain it will be staying.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Your buddy still riding Aquilas? I saw a review of the trail version over on Bikerumor, and it piqued my curiosity... but it's hard to trust someone who doesn't like the party channel on tires... so I'm wondering what teh :monkey: thinks...
Not anymore. He now uses Vee rubber snap wce and likes them a lot too. But as I recall he didn't say anything negative about the aquilas and quite liked them. I guess he just gets along with tires that resemble the dhf.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Using a 27.5 x 2.6 Forekaster 3C exo Maxxterra as a rear tire (30 mm inner width rim) on my hardtail. Quite cheap over here. My trails are not rocky so the exo is fine. It rolls ok on hardpack although I thought it would be faster. I noticed some drag when climbing a concrete road. Doesn't corner or "bite" as well as a high roller 2 or vigilante but those tires are more knobby of course. It is supposed to be good in the wet but I haven't tried it in bad weather yet.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I’m about to experiment on a Goodyear Escape EN Ultimate.

I’m gun’ die. It looks pretty crappy.

(I needed a new rear tire and got it for $20...)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So this was an interesting article. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rear-tire-grouptest-which-enduro-tire-is-best.html

He liked the Aggressor. My only issue with the Aggressor is that they are great when new, but wear past the "good" stage very quickly. Mostly, I find the sideknobs get undercut very quickly.

My go-to is the DHR 2. But I'm always curious to try new things, and his praise for the Vittoria Martello got me curious. Anyone have any time on them? Mostly curious about the casings...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So this was an interesting article. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rear-tire-grouptest-which-enduro-tire-is-best.html

He liked the Aggressor. My only issue with the Aggressor is that they are great when new, but wear past the "good" stage very quickly. Mostly, I find the sideknobs get undercut very quickly.

My go-to is the DHR 2. But I'm always curious to try new things, and his praise for the Vittoria Martello got me curious. Anyone have any time on them? Mostly curious about the casings...
1242g - That's likely a pretty beefy casing.