Quantcast

What type of Video Camera for Trails?

mike.s

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Looking to get another video camera to do some vids of our trails at the house can anyone recommend what is best and will give quality vids for editing, making profesional videos and durable. Thanks.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
I work at a video production rentals house. The best quality you're going to get for cheap is HDV. I'd not recommend JVC's, since they are the only ones that do 720p. The sony's do 1080i, and have a good 24p mode. Post production and editing HDV can be quirky, due to the "long GOP" compression. If you've got more money to spend, I'd recommend a Panasonic HVX-200. It shoots on P2 cards. There are no tapes, so you never have to capture, you shoot straight to files. And it's multi-format and frame rate. It will also shoot on DV tapes if you want to, with lower quality.

For the best price, panasonic DVX-100B looks amazing. It's not HD, but it does have an animorphic mode, and the 24p looks insanely good. It shoots on DV tapes.

Last of all, there are 35mm lens adapters available for both the panasonic cameras I mentioned above. These will get you professional quality.

Oh, and the Panasonics seem to be more durable than the sonys.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
just to go against the grain....i've had good luck with cannon. the gl2 is pretty solid and is a world of difference from any dv you've seen. If you have a bit of extra dough I'd go for the xl2.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
XL2's are in the same league as DVX100B's, but just a few weeks ago I set up the two cameras next to each other for a test... the DVX100B is a world of difference from the XL2! With that said, something like a gl2 would murder anything from walmart. As long as your camera has 3 ccd's, and can pull down 24 frames, you've got a leg up on most of the you-tubers out there.

Does the GL2 do 24p?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
if it does they make it a bitch to set cause i havn't found it yet. did you check my vid in the pnw? that was gl2 on b&w.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
just to go against the grain....i've had good luck with cannon. the gl2 is pretty solid and is a world of difference from any dv you've seen. If you have a bit of extra dough I'd go for the xl2.
I also use a GL2 and have been very pleased with it's results .

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
One of my roommates in college bought a GL1 to shoot skateboarding. It had sort of a 30p mode called "frame mode." Look for that in the menus on the GL2, I remember having it turned on gave it kind of a progressive scan look.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
One of my roommates in college bought a GL1 to shoot skateboarding. It had sort of a 30p mode called "frame mode." Look for that in the menus on the GL2, I remember having it turned on gave it kind of a progressive scan look.
Personally, I think the frame mode looks like ass. I've been using a GL2 for about two years and will be buying a dvx 100b pretty soon here.

The ONLY thing the GL2 does better is catching low light. And there's no 24 frame capability. I can get it in after effects however.......or so I'm told:D Haven't figured out how yet though.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Any one have a recommendation for a decent sub $1k camera in a smaller size? I'd love to get one of the ones mentioned like the DVX-100B or Canon but I just wouldn't need that much or want to carry it to the trails or on snowboard trips.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Any one have a recommendation for a decent sub $1k camera in a smaller size? I'd love to get one of the ones mentioned like the DVX-100B or Canon but I just wouldn't need that much or want to carry it to the trails or on snowboard trips.
It's actually much easier than you think.

I throw my GL2 in my dakine nomad with a t-shirt around it and it's fine.

It's kind of nice to be able to have your 'good' camera with you when you want to get some worthwhile footage.

I don't know if you've seen any of the vids I've put up but I've never regretted having a 'bigger' camera. Little cameras typically come with little features;)

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
you might pm one of the guys from virutal decent (fluidride) to see what they are shooting with. Their footage is effing amazing and the camera is pretty small. if you check out the pnw forum they have a couple videos up in a post right now.

sixgun: ya, the gl2 does have "frame" mode, its pretty ba for a camera at that price point.