Quantcast

What was I thinking ? ( or splat does a triathalon)

splat

Nam I am
Well , Last year My wife started to get into triathalons, she did one last year , and a couple this year . so she finds out there is one in New london NH, and it starts less than a Mile from her parents house.

She decides she is doing it . hey her parents will be watching the Kids. it a short tri. so why not do it too! so I going to do it too.

well we rode our bikes to the start , really good move , traffic was messy.

it is kind of unusual route. it is 1/4 mile swim , then a 2.6 mile run then 5.7 mile bike . but the swim starts about 1/2 mile from the run/bike transition /finishline/registration.

Now I have done no real swimming training other than swimming with the kids, and no real running.

So we register and head down to the beach. My wife and I bot h go out in the 4th wave I did my swim in 7:31 ( 136 out of 171 )

then I get out and run the 2.6 miles the one thing is the last 1/2 mile of the run is Up a pretty steep hill. well I did my run in 26:17 ( 125 out of 171 )

then I get on my Bike ( o was I so glad to see my Bike! ) the first mile was downhill into the wind, I was flying ! I just kept pushing as hard as I could in my biggest gear, I passed about 10 people in the first mile , then the next 3 or so miles were mild rollers and I just kept passing people and pushing hard and the final half mile was climbing that same brute that we had to run up , but the mile leading up to that was nice and flat. so I set my self up and hit that hill with as much speed as I could jumped out of the saddle and just pwered up it at a really good clip (passed at least 10 people on that hill ) I pushed so hard as I crested I dam near puked , but I didn't sprinted the last 200 yards to the finish.
My bike leg ( including changing to riding gear ) was 18:31 Ranked ( 23 out of 171)

My over rank was 109 out of 171.

I think I'll stick to Bike racing ! Much more my style

splat

Nam I am
Echo said:
Man that sounds like fun! Well except for the swimming part and the running part :p

That about sums it all up right there !

O and I didn't mention , after the race, you put you race number in to a raffle , and I won the grand prize a Season Ski Pass to Mt Sunapee ( retail Price $850) Wooo hooo even though I'm sure my wife is going to steal it from me.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Cool that you had a good time and great bike leg but you forgot to mention how your wife did.

Anyhow - running a few miles a week is excellent cross training, I just started up again after three months off.

Last year Eric strt6 did a triathlon series and some serious training - not sure what distance he did though.

splat

Nam I am
Serial Midget said:
Cool that you had a good time and great bike leg but you forgot to mention how your wife did.

Anyhow - running a few miles a week is excellent cross training, I just started up again after three months off.

Last year Eric strt6 did a triathlon series and some serious training - not sure what distance he did though.

Eric does much longer tri's ( and far far far better than me , if I remeber right)

Wife did 160 out of 171. weird thing is she was very consistant Ranked 142/swim 148/run 131/bike , one would have thought her overall would have been higher.