Quantcast

what was your first BMX bike?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
First real BMX bike was a Diamond Back Silver Streak! When that got stolen I got a Diamond Back Formula One. When that got stolen I got out of biking untill I was college because of monitary issues.

ELi

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Northern NJ
Not sure of year...1983-1984, yellow Huffy with yellow Skyway Tuff Wheels. Beat that thing to death! Ah, those were the days...

:thumb:
1 gear- NO STINKIN DERAILLEURS!!
tight chain- no dropping
coaster brakes
nothing sealed- had to constantly lube everything! (Wolf's Head lube, of course!)
:thumb:

I've even got a pic somewhere of me jumping the thing...no helmet, no pads, no NOTHING! (Also no scanner... :mad: )

ELi

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think it was a CW Stu Thompson edition...I didn't have it very long, someone broke into my garage and stole it after about 3 months....bastards!

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
First was a Diamond Silver Streak, then I got sponsored by DB and got Harry Leary Turbo Lite. Sweet bike 1 1/8 sew ups 3pc tintanium cranks, painted black with sliver decals, racing the NBL National Circuit mmm those were the days. 12 expert racing "Chicken" George Severs or something like that. I remember going to the Grands....man that brings back memories. Now it's DH :)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
My first real bmx bike was a 1986 Haro Sport w/ Skyway Tuff IIs. I was like the most popular kid in the 5th grade that year when I got that bike. Even though I couldn't ride to save my life, that bike was my pride and joy. Made me into the bike geek I am today.

-ska todd

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by Froggy
First was a Diamond Silver Streak, then I got sponsored by DB and got Harry Leary Turbo Lite. Sweet bike 1 1/8 sew ups 3pc tintanium cranks, painted black with sliver decals, racing the NBL National Circuit mmm those were the days. 12 expert racing "Chicken" George Severs or something like that. I remember going to the Grands....man that brings back memories. Now it's DH :)
I wanted that Harry Leary soooooo bad! I had forgotten what that bike was named. Harry Leary Turbo! Kick a**!

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
i don't recal the name of the bike, "chevette" i think. Steel Only, it was heavier like hell.
then i had a Leader(very cheap),a Raleigh. (was Ok), GT Mach one (my first real race bike), then a Free Agent (really cool) and my last one, and Elf Double Cross.

tha about it

Yanick

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Here is a pic of the DB silver streak.

There is a bunch of stuff at bmxmuseum.com. I just found that site and its bringing back alot of memories. :)

Attachments

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Wow, I had a SilverStreak too! DiamondBack was this shiite back then.

My first BMX bike was a Redline, then I had a Mongoose at some point, and then there was this other one, can't quite remember Bear something? Anyone remember something like this. It's been so long...!

I used to get a weekly allowance and spend all of it every other weekend on bike parts. I used to build bikes all the time. I haven't built a bike since I was twelve or so. Hmmm....next project perhaps.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
No prob. This is the one you are lookin for I'm sure. I just found a pic of it on the web. I had drilled so many holes in it to make it lighter when I was kid. What was I thinking....lol

R

RideMonkey

My first bike was a CW Stu Thompson edition that I nabbed outta some suckers garage.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
FUnny RM.

But, also not so funny. I had a total of six different bikes stolen from me when I was a kid, and 4 of them were stolen from my garage. I got into skateboarding after that, and there began the broken bones saga.

S

seth399

my first bike was a bmx that was reeeeeeeeeal tiny, it was a Kent, i had like 3 ofthose at all times and broke them repeatedly

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I had a few no-name bikes during the mid 70's.. then got a Murry for Christmas in 1978 (I think...).

The first BMX bike I got and actually raced on was a Schwinn Predator for Christmas 1982 - which later recieved many mods and I still have it (but it's too small for me to ride).

Currently, I have a slightly hopped up Gary Fisher Lush Rush that doesn't get ridden enough...

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
My first was when I was 4 and it had hard rubber tire with no air. My first real bmx was a Mongoose, which I loved until I bent it in half down some stairs :eek:

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
mongoose mitygoose...16in wheels...yup that was the shizznipp. then a trek SUB-atomic, bent the ****outa that thing...now a s&m dirtbike classic....SwEeT bike..i love the thing

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by ridemonkey
My first bike was a CW Stu Thompson edition that I nabbed outta some suckers garage.
and now I have come back to return the favor....muuuuhahahahaha....

The first one was an old junky Schwinn Stingray. Green. Was cool though with the twinn "rails" going from in front of the headtube all the way back to the rear triangle all in one swoop. Had these bullet caps at the front tips. Totally cool! Next was another Army Navy surplus bike that I never knew the name of. The third or fourth bike was a white Hutch racer bike. It had this smoked out colored chainguide, man I thought that was the cats meow! Curved rear end and everything. I learned so much about taking bikes apart and puttign them back together with that bike. I'd tear it down in a million different peices, and then HAVE to get it back together myself, cause my dad would NOT help me, nor would he PAY for someone to fix what I had screwed up. he he
Then I got this Auburn BMX bike. Sweet. It was one of the first ones. The bolt on rear triangle. 4130 front and rear. I think they only did the chromed rearends for a year or two before they swithed to Aluminum Rearends.
That one lasted for about three years before someone stole it.
Which is how I got into mountain bikes! Got the homeowners to pay for it. Then worked a deal with a friend who worked at a shop. He sold me his old mnt. bike.
There ya have it. Now I'm a Monkey Brother.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I never had one...I always had 10 spds. Sigh...

My little bro had BMX's. I would steal them all the time. He had an orange Canadian Tire Supercycle with a coaster brake. And then he had a Raleigh sumthinerother and then a Fox. He had it set up for flat-land freestyle. Too bad none of use could anything more than endos...

omniphile

Chimp
Nov 4, 2001
factory kuwahara, teardrop frame.

i still have it and ride it, all original except new tires and seat. at the bmx track, the kids freak out 'cause it is older than most of them.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
i think it was around 1978 or 79 but i am not so sure... (my old brain ain't so good at stuff like that.
I was a diamondback; but among the early ones with the forks with 2 sets of dropouts -- one in front and one a straight below the fork leg. anyone remember these?
O_D_D

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
awww man, i was building up a PK before i got my diamondback.. i was real young and money was tight so the beautiful, beautiful PK went bye bye. It was a deep midnight blue with gold stickers, had redline flight cranks, .... that was a sad day. Just recently sold my OM Flyer........ (but the guy who is a friend) has not really done much in the way of paying me yet so i may have to get it back and look for a new home for it...... ( he owns a shop and is supposed to set me up w/a new bmx at cost.)
yeah SE was the $h!t
always wanted a quadangle

check out the guys from SE in their new company:
http://www.alliantbicycles.com/
looks more race oriented than anything else; but some of the frames look pretty cool.
O_D_D

Nov 28, 2001
My First bike was a white huffy with Red parts, but when the parents saw I was REALLY into it I got a Quadangle. Man that bike was IT! Few years later it was a red JMC with Uni seat. That was a light bike!