Quantcast

What wheels/rims is everyone using??

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And then I sobbed.
Haha!!

I just meant what became of the wheels... That's one thing you definitely can't deny about the 729 vs 823 question, the 729s do seem to ding a little easier. In 8+ years or so of running the things I've only broken/flatspotted two of them. The dings don't seem to matter. I've been on the same wheels for 3 years now and they're dinged in a few places but they're still completely round.

I was just wondering because I have some friends that consider a dinged rim 'done'.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Yea, I'll keep running rims even if they're dinged, as long as they're holding air. My rear 729 has about 5 dings which I bent back with a crescent. I have large flat spots on the front as well as rear where the rims buckled at the angled section joining the rim sidewalls to the spoke face portions. So there is a bit of a hop in both wheels. However, I'm sure that all of these detriments could have been avoided with the thorough application of carbonz everywhere.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I'm running Alex Supra 28 rims laced to Saint 810/815 hubs with DT Competition 14/15g spokes and brass nipples. I build my wheels and I really like the Supra 28 rims. I'll use the Alex Supra D rims if I need something a little more burly.
The SupraD is actually lighter & wider than the Supra28. I thought about trying the Supra30 but I had doubts about long term stability

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The SupraD is actually lighter & wider than the Supra28. I thought about trying the Supra30 but I had doubts about long term stability
Wider yes, lighter no. The 28 is 30g lighter per rim. I have some Supra 30 rims as well, but I don't really like how loosely the tire bead fits on them.