Quantcast

What wheels/rims is everyone using??

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
I about to have a wheelset built soon and I'm trying to decide which setup to go with. I was looking at Mavic EX823 with either Hope evo or Hadley hubs. i havent thought about spokes yet.

I plan to run tubeless and want something solid.

Any suggestions or advice??

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
823s are bulletproof.
I would never use Ringle hubs again, I had bad luck time after time with those.
For the DH bike, either the Hope or Hadley would be a fine choice. I use Hadley.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
In my experience, 823s can take enormous amounts of abuse. My 729s dented relatively easily, in contrast. The 823s are somewhat heavy however, so I prefer 819s for super smooth, groomed resort type trails.

I run hadley as well as hope for rear hubs, I love the engagement of my hadley, but hope is a little lighter, fwiw.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Hadley + 823 :thumb:

I have a wheelset with this combo that's still going after 7 years. I can't even true them any more cause the nipples have seized onto the spokes...

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I had Hope 823 and they were great. I now have Fulcrum Red Fire and they are better. For the money though, it has to be Hope 823.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
DT Swiss EX500 on Hope Pro 2's. I know no one likes EX500's but imo they are the best rims out there if you want to run tubes. Here's why:

1. They are light
2. They never pinch because they bend/fold instead
3. They actually hold their shape really well considering the above point
4. They are cheap so if you do completely **** them it doesn't cost much to buy a new rim

I have had a pair of ex500's for 2 years and beaten the absolute **** out of them and I have only just replaced them.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Stans Flow or Atom Lab Pimp Lite front rim(Flow for me, Pimp if your heavy).
Tune or Atom Lab Pimp front hubs(nothing lighter).
Atom Lab P-Lite or 823 rear, about the same strength, Atom lab ghettoed is lighter and I think better set up.
Atom P-Lte rear hub seems okay, freehub undid itself once, but it may have just not been done up right at factory, had plenty of engagement points. I also have Hadley, Profile, and I9 rears, and rate them all. Pretty keen to check out the new Profile, and have always wanted to try a King. I have a stock pile of hubs but, so no more purchasing for me.

travis138

Chimp
May 3, 2007
Seaside, CA
I just got my new wheels in. Went with 823 rims for the first time because I wanted to go tubeless. Saint hubs and Sapim spokes. The wheelset doesn't feel that heavy but I haven't weighed it yet. No frame yet so I can't say much else but they look nice in my living room lol.

Previously I've had Sun MTX 31/Hadley and they held up really well.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Was running the azonic outlaws and also MTX33 rims with hope pro II hubs. Outlaws gave out 3yrs later and just replaced them with easton havoc's. I'm really impressed with the havoc's. MTX and hope hubs wheels is still running good no problems.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've only heard good things about the 823s although I haven't run them myself. I'm a big fan of the Supra D from Alex and I've run them successfully for years. Only killed one but that was a monumental stuff up on my part 50/50 casing a stepdown. Aside from that one incident, I've cased the crap out of all kinds of stuff without hurting the Supras. Anyone who saw me "discovering" the last jump on Schleyer will testify that nothing should have rolled out of that one.

dylan s

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
823's on dt swiss 440 hubs are the most reliable wheels you can buy. 823's laced to any hub will serve you well.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
823's in my experience don't hold a non-tubeless tire on when done tubeless. I was blowing off brand new swamp-things at 35psi right off my back rim in sharp "slammy" corners.

Personally run Nukeproof rims on my bikes now. They're a cheaper way of getting Sun mtx rims. 31's on the Demo and 29's on the sx trail.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Of the rear hubs I own (CK, hope, havoc, others) the 72 pt Hadley is my favorite. For front hub, Hopes are fairly light and cheap.

Mostly like 823s but have destroyed one in a situation that wasn't that harsh. And not quite wide enough for the tires I'm using these days. Eg the new Michelin 2.5s, which have much bigger casing than DHFs.

On go-rides recommendation, have been running FR600s for two seasons with no issues. Wide, stiff, lighter than 823s, and the new alloy is not as soft as the older 6.1 version.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
running 823/Hadley for a while. Tubeless works with Schwalbe, no problems whatsoever.

If I want lighter, I'd wait for Carbon :weee:

ronnyg801

Chimp
May 27, 2009
Just had a set of Stans flows and hope hubs built up. I have been on some ****ty outlaws for a few years, so far so good, only one day on them, They feel SOO much better than the outlaws.

I know they are a light build, I will be content if I can get a good season out of them, stoked if I can get two. I am not hard on bike parts though so I am anticipating the latter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
823's in my experience don't hold a non-tubeless tire on when done tubeless. I was blowing off brand new swamp-things at 35psi right off my back rim in sharp "slammy" corners.
That's kind of weird. I've been running various 2.5 minions for years, plus some old proto michelins, and now some kenda BBGs tubeless on them with no problems. I poked a hole in a minion a while back but nothing related to the tire seating.

I wonder if it's just the swamp things having a little more leverage being taller.

I don't remember numbers but I do know that I end up running higher pressures with tubeless.

Again though, that's on a 7" bike, not my 'true' dh bike. I still beat the shlt out of it though.

Last edited:

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
823/burgtecs.

just swapped to a set of fulcrum red heats.

lost around 1 lbs on that swap.. (36 hole 823s with 2.0 steel spokes)

But i am saving the old set as they are bombproof.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Hope hubs are nice, Hadley are a couple of degrees nicer. I generally can't afford Mavic rims, so have made due with softer Alex (Outlaws)/ WTB/ Sun instead. They all dinged somewhat easily, but all held true/ round fairly well anyway, and can be straightened with a crescent wrench. It might take a little more to dent a Mavic, but I've seen them crack when they do.
I laced up a Spike Spank last season, and was pretty impressed with it for how long I got to ride it. They're not much cheaper than Mavic rims, tho.

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
Hope hubs, dt comp spokes and new spank/dt500 /flow rims.

to me mavic has dropped the ball of late. there rims are to heavy for how wide they are. a few years age they were the leader in the rim game, imoh every other rim maker has got something better at a better price now.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
Has anyone else had issues with not tubless tires not sealing on the 823's? What about spokes? Are there noticible differences in reliability/durability between companies?

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
I still don't get everyone's hard on for 823s on dh bikes.

Why not just go with 729s and get a much better tire profile?

I run 823s on my 7" bikes but that's mostly because I want them tubeless and I run 2.35-ish tires.
i'm with woo on this one, although i use 823s on my DH bike at the moment.

i really had to get used to the much rounder profile the 823s gives the tires after switching from 729s. what i like about the 823 is their total bombproofness and the ease of installing tubeless tires without rimstrips and sh*t.

the 729s give the tirea a much "flatter" tire profile which i actually prefer, but, well, now i'm stuck with 823s and because they are really, really bombproof i guess i'll be on them for another while... :D

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Two sets of Saints laced to MTXs for practice that I rotate. MTXs are $23 from QBP lol. I go through a rear rim about every 3 months or so. For race I9s laced to their DH rim. I9's on the trail bike although I am currently rocking my crappy oem specialized wheels until I get my new ones.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Oh as an add to my post, I now run DT hubs on both my bikes and they are simply the best design by far (and reliable so far). Engagement mechanism is bomb-proof and easy to service. They also run symmetrical flanges on their 150 440s, like your supposed to do. Definitely worth getting if you find them cheap like I did.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I about to have a wheelset built soon and I'm trying to decide which setup to go with. I was looking at Mavic EX823 with either Hope evo or Hadley hubs. i havent thought about spokes yet.

I plan to run tubeless and want something solid.

Any suggestions or advice??
Call I-9 get the color you want and lace them to 823's and if you have a problem you can stop by and they can fix'em.
You are somewhere in the southeast right? Having "your" wheel builder accessible/available to personally talk to and/or a quick shipping distance means a lot. Getting some random person/shop to build your wheels sucks.
Yeah they are pricey but worth it.Better & quicker engagement than Hadley or King.
I've run the 823's and they are probably the best choice for tubeless DH setup.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm running Alex Supra 28 rims laced to Saint 810/815 hubs with DT Competition 14/15g spokes and brass nipples. I build my wheels and I really like the Supra 28 rims. I'll use the Alex Supra D rims if I need something a little more burly.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
Call I-9 get the color you want and lace them to 823's and if you have a problem you can stop by and they can fix'em.
You are somewhere in the southeast right? Having "your" wheel builder accessible/available to personally talk to and/or a quick shipping distance means a lot. Getting some random person/shop to build your wheels sucks.
Yeah they are pricey but worth it.Better & quicker engagement than Hadley or King.
I've run the 823's and they are probably the best choice for tubeless DH setup.
Yeah, I'm in raleigh. Thanks for pointing I-9 out. I think i'm gonna go that route. Much easier dealing with a local company. Their stuff looks really nice too!

Do you use I-9? How have their spokes held up? I'm not the smoothest rider so the alum kinda worries me.

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
did anyone tried the new WTB I23 AM rims?
http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/rims/allmountain/products-wheels-rims-all-mountain-frequency-tcs-i23/

do you think they are strong enough for DH riding?
will they hold non tubeless tires?
Not sure about the 123 AM but I found these a few months back and been considering them due to price, width and weight.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35296

My rear 721 is almost up and has been amazing for the 3 years I been running it but CRC state they cannot ship out of EU. Will be trying Nukeproof's "MTX" rims when I get home later this year and thinking of trying some flows too.