Quantcast

what would be your ideal bmx frame?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
go off the deep end here.
what are your pet peeves.

if you could have a bike built ground up for bmx type riding, what would it be like?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
My Ideal bmx bike is my Tonic Fab Fall guy. It's one of the nicest frames I've ever seen. In my old age, I need a fork, other then that, it rides very pretty much just like the following:

My ideal true 20" bmx bike would be a fly bikes Pantera 21.4" top tube, Industry Odyssey Hazard casstte hub (or just a hazard wheel set), T-1 Rueban bars, We the people Royal cranks with ti spindle. S&M Pitch Fork, Mosh digital saddle, Odyssey brakes with Kool Stop fat pads (Salmon). Big Cheese grips. Profile Imperial chain wheel. Smallest gearing I could fit.

A lot of the parts listed I run on my fall guy. A few I'm planning on adding.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i would like a frame with a little bit of a longer rear end, simply because i feel like a clown on my standard. i REALLy would love to see some street frames with v tabs. **** even if a street frame with just v tabs came out i would buy it first thing.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
vandal misdemeanor frame.
profile ss hubs 14mm front and rear or chris king hubs (an overkill for cash though). black lable rims front and rear.
chris king head seat.
madera protocal crank.
shadow interlock two chain.
any chain wheal that comes in 25t and will fit a bash guard.
shadow conspiracy 11b bars.
oddyssy evolver u brake.
diatech goldfinger lever.
oddyssey butted dirt fork.
oddyssey gtx-r aluminum gyro.
primo pro sealed pedals.
odyssey gi pegs.
macneil og seat.
dk goldpost (seat post).
profile slim jim seat post clamp.
standard, front load stem.
two premium tires.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
ryan/kona29 said:
vandal misdemeanor frame.
profile ss hubs 14mm front and rear or chris king hubs (an overkill for cash though). black lable rims front and rear.
chris king head seat.
madera protocal crank.
shadow interlock two chain.
any chain wheal that comes in 25t and will fit a bash guard.
shadow conspiracy 11b bars.
oddyssy evolver u brake.
diatech goldfinger lever.
oddyssey butted dirt fork.
oddyssey gtx-r aluminum gyro.
primo pro sealed pedals.
odyssey gi pegs.
macneil og seat.
dk goldpost (seat post).
profile slim jim seat post clamp.
standard, front load stem.
two premium tires.

you might have a hard time fitting that seat on that post. :blah:

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Union-Street Molly Macguire...LOL A lot like a Tonic Fab but all the geometry is different...

For a BMX bike I'd say a Terrible one ruben frame, steep angles medium to long top tube and a short wheelbase and built to take a punishment. A lot of frames have gotten too light and won't last long under a rider who rides hard every day...

Jan 29, 2005
1. Renolds 853 tubing
2. Chainstay v-brake mounts
3. Internal Headset
4. Steepish headangle
5. 20.5" TT
6. Nice and short Seat tube with lots of clearence

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
seat stay mounts
press fit
integrated

that frame pretty much already exists...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Reynolds 853
Spanish BB
4.5Lbs (I'm pretty light)
V-Brake lugs (on the forks too - I like front brakes)
S+M Black bike style geometry

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I see how it is.

If I were to make a bmx It would be 21.75 TT 74.5 HA 71 ST 13.75 CS Intergrated headset, 4130, and a good old Fashioned American BB, and a V brake located under the seat stays.

Same Parts package I mentioned before.

I'd also want it to be Painted "root beer"

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Ohh, colours - I'd want deep, deep, deep gloss cherry red, black forks and bars, ano dark green stem, seat clamp and pedals and chrome wheels. maybe with gold hubs.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
One that changes colour with my mood.

But seriously, I'm not too picky. 853, seatstay mounts, euro bb, integrated headset, nice small dropouts, and something like british racing green.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I can take or leave integrated headsets for BMX. The major functional advantage is the reduction of stack height, and unless you are quite fussy this isn't really an issue in BMX. They do look cool though.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
they use the headtube as the cup but it's more then just a crappy little cup, to me.

the headtub should be stronger then a single cup.

personally, I never break parts so I doubt I'd have a problem with them. the few guys I know that ride everyday don't have problems with them so they should be fine for my riding.

less parts = good. simple, clean, effective.

same with press fit/spanish or even euro BB's. I have no need for giant american bearings. I don't weigh enough, I don't ride hard enough, etc.. it's just extra weight. why bother?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Landon said:
However, I'm gonna stick to my Fall Guy.

Landon.
:stupid:

The fall guy is my ideal bike.

All the bmx kids say its a MTB

All the Mountain bikers say its a BMX

I say its just right.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, but an integrated headset will wear down on the headtube eventually, and it's a little harder to replace a headtube than a cup.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I've ridden a kappa have you seen the Azusa frames Landon? It was a small batch run in honor of JMC by Supercross...
Haven't seen that model. Seems like everything Kappa does is top notch. Love the seat clamp, and cranks. Although speaking of JMC, the real Daryl Young has been known to ride at our local indoor (he rips) and races DH on a Mountain Cycle 9.5 (the company I work for.) Not only is he insanely fast, he's also a hell of a nice guy.

Scurban: I get the same thing. It's one identity crisis I can enjoy.

L