Quantcast

What would make a National series legit?

What would make a National DH Race series legit?

• Big Cash Payout for top pros.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Better race courses.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Spectator friendly venues.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Extra events (ie. movie premieres, parties, etc.).

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Hooter Girls.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Better date and venue organization.

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Better date and venue organization would be nice. I think that having better venues, better organization, and better dates (IE: east coast races not one after the other) would lead to other things that people would like to happen. If the organization was better I can easily see a cash payout happening and the "extra events" would happen eventually.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Transcend said:
organization
course
payout
spectator friendly

In that order.
Yup.

Although payout doesn't really affects 99% of the riders at a race, it does draw prestige, teams, and talent.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The payout doesnt affect guys like me, but it does bring out pro teams, neutral support and sponsors for stuff who see the event as serious. That DOES effect guys like me.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I haven't been into racing very long but I can see that with more time put into Orginization and such things, to make the experience better, then time spent on repairing the course will be sacrificed. I say let the people that are good at what they do, do their thing. Norba to organize stuff, listen to riders, and then have the riders prepare courses and such. Not sure if it would work, but seems logical....

Dan

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
rockymt21 said:
I haven't been into racing very long but I can see that with more time put into Orginization and such things, to make the experience better, then time spent on repairing the course will be sacrificed. I say let the people that are good at what they do, do their thing. Norba to organize stuff, listen to riders, and then have the riders prepare courses and such. Not sure if it would work, but seems logical....

Dan
What about a group of semi's and pros that are paid by the organization to prepare the courses? Something like the Mammoth Unbound team: http://unbound.mammothmountain.com/

i think organization falls in pretty level with having a venue close to spectators, i consider spectator friendly as being able to get to the venue easily, not 4 hours away. but yeah organization and spectators, then qualityc courses, and everything else will follow

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I would say orginization first, then do what you need to to get the support of the industry again. How many companies are bailing on racing, and concentrating more on the lifestyle side of the sport?

FFAT

Monkey
Oct 2, 2005
San Diego
It's obvious that racing has to be an integral part of downhill mountain biking. Hopefully, an organization will step up and listen to riders' opinions and get a national series back on track. There's tons of awesome intrastate events but a national series is crucial. How else can we determine who's the best in the nation when we don't have the legit national series to prove it.

:nopity:

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
organization is key. This is the major reason that so many people are boycotting norba. The courses (DH at least) have been pretty good, but the best ones keep getting removed: ie Idaho, Durango, etc. Also, some more thought and attention needs to be given to the classes other than pro, because, while the pro riders bring sponsors I'd say 75%, maybe more of the people at a national are recreational racers, not factory pros. Sadly, however, all the other classes are neglected.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
SBDHrida said:
organization is key. This is the major reason that so many people are boycotting norba. The courses (DH at least) have been pretty good, but the best ones keep getting removed: ie Idaho, Durango, etc. Also, some more thought and attention needs to be given to the classes other than pro, because, while the pro riders bring sponsors I'd say 75%, maybe more of the people at a national are recreational racers, not factory pros. Sadly, however, all the other classes are neglected.
right...they get neglected - but the pros (who bring in said 75% advertising (in truth it is probably much more) don't even get paid.