Quantcast

What would make you leave the U.S.?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Normally I avoid the PAWN but didn't want to post this in the Lounge since it's obviously a political question and I didn't want to derail the other thread I asked it in any further so...

I am curious to know if there is anything that would make you leave the country. What would have to happen to make you fold and play your cards elsewhere? Reinstatement of the draft? Increased loss of personal freedoms? Abolishment of any Constitutional amendments?

Where would you go? Why? Toshi mentioned New Zealand. I am curious to know more about why Toshi would go to New Zealand (I suspect he has a secret hobbit fetish).

I apologize for what is a probably a rather pedestrian question, but like I said, I am just curious and didn't want to post this in the Lounge. Also, I know that this has been asked before but I wanted to see what kind of answers todays political climate would produce.

Thanks!

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I personally favour the free movement of labour so I believe people should be free to live and work wherever they want. In reality this is not possible in a full scale open borders scenario but I think open migration between the OECD countries is not only desirable but inevitable. Most Americans who I've met that live in Australia did so for lifestyle or romantic reasons. Following this website for almost a decade now I'm surprised at how few of you have spread your wings for far pastures. BMXMan, Narlus for a few years and in reverse MMike are all that spring to mind right now. If you don't have kids, what are you waiting for?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My wife has said that she would renounce her citizenship if sarah palin got elected president.
I wrote a frothing blog post about this, and concluded that I wouldn't move, sadly: http://toshiclark.xanga.com/735980522/the-fix-is-in/

Reasons for moving to NZ:

1) Hairy feet like a hobbit--ok, not really
2) Everyone that I know who has been there (friends, parents, co-workers) loved it
3) Not economically significant enough to be under the arm of the US in terms of foreign policy, domestic spying, etc.
4) Low corruption from all I've read
5) Still in the Pacific, so closer than the continent to Japan, west coast, albeit not really close at all
6) Culture that seems to emphasize lifestyle/sports
7) Points-based immigration system whose hurdle I'd pass handily thanks to my training and young age

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm with Toshi. I would love to move to NZ. I would have trouble getting the wife on board though due to family. I'm having anough issues with getting her to move out of Cali.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Cash. Lots of it. I'd previously joked to an employer that I'd set up the Hong Kong office for the right amount of money (no way in hell would I set up a Shenzhen office). Now that I have a house that number would have to be quite a bit larger, but there still is a number that would get me to move elsewhere.

As for politics, it would literally have to descend into Nazi-style persecutions for me to move (against me or against others wouldn't really make a difference). I mean, we've had some sh!tty political leadership in this country, and we're still here. We had the Bush years (2 unprovoked wars, massive giveaways to the rich, etc), the Carter debacle, the McCarthy era, Hoover, Harding, etc. I'm not saying a Palin presidency would be a picnic, but we'd survive... even if it's just in a bomb-shelter in the backyard.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Retirement will lead me to leave the US - I won't be able to afford healthcare here.

Toshi likes NZ because it kicks ass!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I personally favour the free movement of labour so I believe people should be free to live and work wherever they want. In reality this is not possible in a full scale open borders scenario but I think open migration between the OECD countries is not only desirable but inevitable. Most Americans who I've met that live in Australia did so for lifestyle or romantic reasons. Following this website for almost a decade now I'm surprised at how few of you have spread your wings for far pastures. BMXMan, Narlus for a few years and in reverse MMike are all that spring to mind right now. If you don't have kids, what are you waiting for?
Where did BMXman go?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'm with Dante on this one. If the right opportunity came along I could very easily be an ex-pat. We just recently were very seriously considering a move to Vietnam to work a fairly lucrative job for me, but decided not to for a variety of reasons, but it was shocking how easy it was for me to seriously consider it. It feels a tad wrong to say it put I feel no particular allegiance to this country, especially given the recent and current political atmosphere. I'm very disappointed in the way I see this country headed but that in of itself is not enough to make me consider the logistical challenge of moving my family/finding work/etc in a whole new country, even an English speaking one.

I do like New Zealand though, I could see myself maybe in switzerland or one of the nordic countries. Maybe costa rica for the surfing. :weee:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I concur with Pasqueeb and Dante. I have very little reason to stay here beyond my job. My parents are looking at moving to Uraguay. My sister is looking at moving back to Iowa (west coast income savings in Iowa = well off). I have essentially zero allegiance to this country at this point.
It would almost be worth taking night school to get an education in engineering, or some other transferable skill to give myself more options.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Following this website for almost a decade now I'm surprised at how few of you have spread your wings for far pastures. BMXMan, Narlus for a few years and in reverse MMike are all that spring to mind right now. If you don't have kids, what are you waiting for?
I agree, and it only gets harder the longer you wait.

I was actively trying to relocate to Shanghai until about a year and a half ago when I decided to start a business with two partners here in San Francisco. I will say this for the US - there is no place else on the planet I could be doing the work I'm doing right now.

If it tanks, I'm moving to the other side of the world, at least for a few years. Shanghai makes the most sense for me, but I have to say NZ, AUS, Argentina, and a few others hold romantic appeal. It broke my heart but I passed up a chance to move to Barcelona to start up a consulting practice there about 8 months ago...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I moved to the Netherlands for nearly 4yrs to run a business. It was cool, I spent most of the time traveling with my wife, dogs and bikes all over europe. Then they got bitchy and pulled my work permit/residency so we came back.

I've been to all of europe and most of asia for business and pleasure travel.
All said and done, I prefer living in the states.
People and government suck everywhere.
I just focus on my business and family, avoid getting wrapped up in **** I can't control and life is f'in great.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Yeah I guess you're right in not moving if Palin becomes president. The first thing she's going to do anyway is to declare war on North Zealand and launch the missiles. :rolleyes:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Seems funny for me seeing you guys keep listing NZ as a destination choice whilst I sit here cringing at the current NZ governments spastic lurch to the neocon right, and I'm thinking I'd love to move to somewhere around Lörrach in Baden-Württemberg (Swiss/German border).

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
The Fed is driving me to consider leaving. You can live like a king in some country on retired military pension. Give the kid a couple years to clear out then maybe.

Been considering Maine...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Yep cos we all be jake Heke's down here. :thumb:

I'd love to move to somewhere around Lörrach in Baden-Württemberg (Swiss/German border).
Oh FFS!!!!! :rant:
If only I'd seen This web page 6 months ago!!!!
Damn course started on 1st of September. :doh::shakefist:

That would have been perfect.
Lasser is not bad, fairly middle of the road average German beer (I much preferred the nearby Rothaus Brauerei). But the brauerei is bang in the middle of where I want to go.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Was in NZ for 2 months and Id move there tomorrow.
Unfortunatly I dont score heavily on the points system and I turn 31 this year so my chances are slim.
Friend of mine is a mech engineer (automobile technique) and couldnt even get a steady job in a body shop. He had to leave the country after 9months...

Other option would be Canada. Ofcourse both options have to do with lifestyle and sports etc.

I know I dont live in the US but if I did Id be LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG gone :D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Actually moving somewhere in the US where I could live off the grid would be great. Grow my own food, make my own power. Because all this is going to collapse soon and I really don't like crowds.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Actually moving somewhere in the US where I could live off the grid would be great. Grow my own food, make my own power. Because all this is going to collapse soon and I really don't like crowds.
I don't care what I'm paid in--dollars, chickens, bartered goods, precious kW-hours of electricity, whatever. Therefore I'm not afraid of the apocalypse. :rofl:

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have land in southern colorado for when i get tired of people...

As far as a different country.....italy or brazil.

As far as a reason...no reason....if i could swing it i would.

People who give reasons based on politics on here never follow through.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Seems funny for me seeing you guys keep listing NZ as a destination choice whilst I sit here cringing at the current NZ governments spastic lurch to the neocon right, and I'm thinking I'd love to move to somewhere around Lörrach in Baden-Württemberg (Swiss/German border).
Evidently they aren't paying attention.