Quantcast

What would make you leave the U.S.?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The ability to get good whiskey/bourbon ****s this up for me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Uncle (not by blood) moved to Mexico when he retired on a teachers salary. He seems to be doing quite well there with amazing healthcare and nice digs. I will likely retire in Costa Rica if the wife's family is still there, but south of the boarder in general.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
My Uncle (not by blood) moved to Mexico when he retired on a teachers salary. He seems to be doing quite well there with amazing healthcare and nice digs. I will likely retire in Costa Rica if the wife's family is still there, but south of the boarder in general.
Was down there (Costa Rica) doing drug ops when I was still in the Navy. Tons of expats living there on like $400 a month for a beach front mansion with hired help. Good fishing, nice beaches, cheap living...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I have land in southern colorado for when i get tired of people...

As far as a different country.....italy or brazil.

As far as a reason...no reason....if i could swing it i would.

People who give reasons based on politics on here never follow through.
Yeah, but most people don't.

The wife and I have often talked about moving to Ireland just because we like it there. The other day we began to talk about leaving because things have "gotten bad" politically (as in what would have to happen, not that we think it's gotten bad nough to leave). As I began to think of reasons to leave I realized that I knew less about politics in Ireland (or anywhere else) than I do about American Politics and thought that it would be ironic to leave because America has "failed", "gotten bad", or whatever turn of phrase you like, and end up in a country that is worse, or more oppressive, or what have you.

Personally, if the wife and I had the money we would move to Ireland. We love the country, the climate, and the people. We do have issues with some of their laws and such but nothing that would keep us from moving there.

Very interesting answers from all of you, but of all the answers Heidi's answer made me stop and think. That is a very real posibility for many people I think. These days not many employers offer health insurance for retired employees. Mine doesn't, and health insurance is the only reason I have this job.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
The wife and I have often talked about moving to Ireland just because we like it there. The other day we began to talk about leaving because things have "gotten bad" politically (as in what would have to happen, not that we think it's gotten bad nough to leave). As I began to think of reasons to leave I realized that I knew less about politics in Ireland (or anywhere else) than I do about American Politics and thought that it would be ironic to leave because America has "failed", "gotten bad", or whatever turn of phrase you like, and end up in a country that is worse, or more oppressive, or what have you.
Quoted for truth.
It seems horribly obvious in hindsight, but I too had not really put much thought into the politics of whatever country I might be willing to move too. I make the broad assumption that any European country would be more liberal/progressive than the States, without really knowing what I'm talking about. DaveW's statement about New Zealand moving Neocon right made me realize this. If their moving that far right they probably wouldn't take kindly to immigrants. That being said, politics would still not be the primary or even secondary reason I would leave the states or move to another country unless things really go pear shaped here. The Vietnam move we were considering was more about career/adventure and politics never even entered the discussion.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
IMO an opportunity to live abroad should always be pursued.
I wouldn't trade my time abroad for anything.

However, that country you thought was cool and laid-back while on your hash-fueled backpacking trip is another beast when you're living there full time.

The Netherlands, and doing business/living in the EU in general, was the most buracratic, tax-ridden clusterfvck imaginable. Insanely frustrating coming from the US.

When I hear people whining about invasion of personal liberties here in the US it's usually somebody who hasn't travelled much and doesnt realize how good we have it here.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I cant imagine any realistic scenario in which Id get so pissed at the US that Id have to pack up and leave as a matter of principle. However, there are plenty of places Id like to live just as much as here if the opportunity presented itself. If you can tune out the crazy, the US is really a pretty decent place IMO.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I cant imagine any realistic scenario in which Id get so pissed at the US that Id have to pack up and leave as a matter of principle. However, there are plenty of places Id like to live just as much as here if the opportunity presented itself. If you can tune out the crazy, the US is really a pretty decent place IMO.
That's a big "if"

If you can stay sane where you live, I'd say you're doing pretty well.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
believe it or not....i can get along with just about anyone.