Quantcast

What would you buy if you won Power Ball

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i would....

set up college funds for my kids, and my nephews and nieces (including grad school; however long they want to be in school would be picked up by me)

buy a couple of properties. one would be in an urban setting, and one in a mountain setting. ideally it would be a place which is easy to get to, so i'd actually get some use out of it, so that eliminates a lot of places.

so for an urban setting, i'd get a nice 2-3BR condo in either boston or NYC (if i expanded the range to europe, i'd consider copenhagen, paris, or prague).

mountain setting would be in the rockies or similar somewhere...probably CO, but maybe NM or AZ. the property would have some great terrain for building trails, and ideally a river/stream too, so i could get back to doing some fishing.

i'd also look to buy a ~100-500 acre chunk of land in NH or VT, build a small, manageable cabin on the property, and make a kick-ass bike park for my friends and me.

i'd give a chunk of $ to my college, anonymously. don't need some building w/ my name on it. in fact, i'd give it to be used solely for tuition aid and not construction.

i would use a good chunk of $ to lure some bands out of retirement, and stage a personal music festival. bands included:

husker du
the stooges
uncle tupelo
the smiths
swervedriver
black flag
butthole surfers
pink floyd
guided by voices (sprout/mitchell lineup)
able tasmans
black sabbath
bob dylan and the band
the delgados
pavement
funkadelic
the jam
savage republic
big black
the verlaines
the wipers.

i doubt i'd have any money left after that.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
narlus said:
i would....

set up college funds for my kids, and my nephews and nieces (including grad school; however long they want to be in school would be picked up by me)

buy a couple of properties. one would be in an urban setting, and one in a mountain setting. ideally it would be a place which is easy to get to, so i'd actually get some use out of it, so that eliminates a lot of places.

so for an urban setting, i'd get a nice 2-3BR condo in either boston or NYC (if i expanded the range to europe, i'd consider copenhagen, paris, or prague).

mountain setting would be in the rockies or similar somewhere...probably CO, but maybe NM or AZ. the property would have some great terrain for building trails, and ideally a river/stream too, so i could get back to doing some fishing.

i'd also look to buy a ~100-500 acre chunk of land in NH or VT, build a small, manageable cabin on the property, and make a kick-ass bike park for my friends and me.

i'd give a chunk of $ to my college, anonymously. don't need some building w/ my name on it. in fact, i'd give it to be used solely for tuition aid and not construction.

i would use a good chunk of $ to lure some bands out of retirement, and stage a personal music festival. bands included:

husker du
the stooges
uncle tupelo
the smiths
swervedriver
black flag
butthole surfers
pink floyd
able tasmans
black sabbath
bob dylan and the band
the delgados
pavement
funkadelic
the jam
savage republic
big black
the verlaines
the wipers.

can you invite Van Halen and can i come?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:

husker du
the stooges
uncle tupelo
the smiths
swervedriver
black flag
butthole surfers
pink floyd
able tasmans
black sabbath
bob dylan and the band
the delgados
pavement
funkadelic
the jam
savage republic
big black
the verlaines
the wipers.

I'd be down with those bands... toss in the English Beat too..

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
I'd be down with those bands... toss in the English Beat too..
you're a Delgados fan? really? that's awesome. they didn't get near the accolades they should have. their recent newsletter said that a 2lp Peel Sessions release is in the works.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
you're a Delgados fan? really? that's awesome. they didn't get near the accolades they should have. their recent newsletter said that a 2lp Peel Sessions release is in the works.

Heard them from a friend in the mid/late 90's...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Dish some out to the family
Set up college funds for the niece and nephews
Buy some new bikes and quads
Probably end of buying a few places to call "home"
Lots and lots of traveling...and hire a super hot nanny for the dogs to babysit at home and on the road :p

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
N8 said:
Or you could just by some other nerds to play D&D dress up time with....

:rofl:
I'd buy YOU, and make you play dress up with me! I hear you're pretty cheap, N8. :p

And I would give a few million to Narlus after he hosts the awsome concert... as long as I have tickets that is.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
SkaredShtles said:
I hear all you people talking about what you'd buy.

But what would you do with the other 75 million? :D
Save it to pay property tax on all of the places they are buying. :rolleyes:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
I hear all you people talking about what you'd buy.

But what would you do with the other 75 million? :D
Invest it so that my kid's kid's kid's kids won't have to work.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ciaran said:
Invest it so that my kid's kid's kid's kids won't have to work.
Dude - that'll insure your kids and grandkids and great-grandkids are spoiled little $hits. You wouldn't want that, would you?

I'd try to spend every fu**in' penny before I die. Then in my will I'd give the rest to charity. :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would hire a team of Russian hackers to write viruses and trojan horses to prevent N8 from ever posting to RM again...

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ok, this is the guide to: How to blow $81 Million

Homes:

Main House:
Somewhere in SoCal12,000sq ft. with 12 car garage, on about 10 acres $15 Million

Vacation Homes:

Ranch in Arizona $4million
Condo in New York $2 million
Condo in Chicago $2 Million
Condo at N* $1 million
Ranch in Moab $3 million
House in Vail $3 million

Total Cost of Housing : $30million

Vehicles:

Ferarri: Enzo, F420, 612 S, F50 $2.4 million
Rovers: Disco2, D90, D110, D130, RRS, RR, $.55 million
Other: M5, 760li, S65, SL65, SLR Mclaren, CGT, 911 GT3, (3) F350 Super Duty, Unimog $2 Million
Custom Mercedes/Freightliner race rig/RV $1 million

Helicopter $20million

Total vehicle cost : 41 million

$15 million spending money and cost of living money

Invest remaining $10 million to insure that you can pay for your toys til youre dead.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
loco said:
I'd buy bluebug a new crib so she could take her bike in. It would have a pole, but it would be brass and used for dancing. :devil:
Thanks, man. But I'll just take the new digs, so my bike has a warm place to sleep at night. Or, I could lock it up to the brass pole :think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Buy RM and ban him for life.

Although I like N8. I wouldn't ban him.
Too obvious.

I am going to create a think tank in Silicon Valley to redesign the OSI network model to add an 8th layer: Allow everyone but N8 from accessing the Internet.

Then you won't have to hear from N8 on pinkbike, mtbr, etc after my Russian hacker team stops him from posting on RM.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
I'd buy bluebug a new crib so she could take her bike in. It would have a pole, but it would be brass and used for dancing. :devil:
And I'd buy you a real life ticket to the "gimp" scene from Pulp Fiction. :cool:

Me?

Pay off all family bills, all mortgages, etc etc. Buy a crapload of bikes and guitars, donate a buttload to the SPCA and Humane Society, then buy a nice house to surround with a large high wall so people couldn't bother me, a few nice cars, and then come and go as I please.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Change my identity [multiple times] and go on the run from all the media and scammers.

Buy lots of land. Some investment, some conservation, some recreational, and some just for kicks [buy up popular horse trails and make them MTB only access :eviltongu ]
Buy Narlus' house.
Set up the Fam.

Get held for ransom in some central american country and die.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stinkyboy said:
I'd pay Bikerfox to follow N8 around and bother him everytime he goes riding for a year.
That is how N8 is going to spend his winnings...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i would buy a ****load of land in colorado. id build a nice house on that land and then i would build an awesome trail system. id get a decent car i guess. the rest of the money would be used to help out the fam and then id keep it for my kids and travelling and bikes, lots and lots of bikes.