Quantcast

What would you do? (7 speed DH cassette related)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The Kona Operator CR 29 comes with this cheapo Sram 7 speed DH cassette. Little did I know, it doesn't use the XD but the conventional Shimano freehub body.

My new rear wheel has a Hope Pro 4 hub with an XD freehub. I have a couple options:

1) I can only get the aluminum freehub for the Pro 4. This is the cheapest option although the since cassette cogs are all separate, they'll dig into the aluminum more than a cassette that was a one or two piece system. The steel freehub is ideal but I can't get my hands on it quickly.

2) Get the Hope 7 speed cassette and freehub combo. It's about three times more pricey than a simple free hub but it's all made to work together and would look sharp.

3) Get the Sram 7 speed XD cassette. Stupid expensive.

Thoughts?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ah crap, while the Hope freehub/cassette combo is still available from certain retailers, Hope has officially discontinued it. No sense in getting that I guess.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
When things like this piss me off I always check on one-up. They seem to specialize in fixing whats wrong with the industry. This would be an option if you wanted to run your shimano freehub.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
When things like this piss me off I always check on one-up. They seem to specialize in fixing whats wrong with the industry. This would be an option if you wanted to run your shimano freehub.

Do they still sell that? I don't see it for sale on their website anywhere now.

And you'll still be stuck with the freehub made out melted butter from Hope.

I say either buy the Sram cassette and most likely never have to replace it. Or get the freehub from Hope and get one of those Sunrace cassettes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

And you'll still be stuck with the freehub made out melted butter from Hope.

I say either buy the Sram cassette and most likely never have to replace it. Or get the freehub from Hope and get one of those Sunrace cassettes.
As far as I know is the Sunrace cassette for the XD driver.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Damn you're right. Guess I just found a necro-page of their website and assumed it was available. Sorry about that boys!

Agree that just getting the SRAM cassette may be long term good option. Those Xdome cassettes are incredible and last thousands of miles on a pedaling bike, nevermind a DH rig.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So uh I talked alot of shit about the e13 11s casette.

The 10s.... however...
Has a completely different design.
Uses a locknut instead of a clamp, has replaceable 9-10-11 bolt on cluster,
Its a 9-42.... which doesn't work with the short cages, but if you have someone put it in a lathe and whack the teeth off the 42, you can have a nice 9s 9-36, or you can cut some of the 42 off and whack the teeth off of the 36 and have a 9-28.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Alu HG freehub and just do the lockring up properly tight when you fit the cassette.
the cassette will mark the soft alu splines but it's not the end of the world and you'll still be able to remove and fit new cassettes when the time comes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So uh I talked alot of shit about the e13 11s casette.

The 10s.... however...
Has a completely different design.
Uses a locknut instead of a clamp, has replaceable 9-10-11 bolt on cluster,
Its a 9-42.... which doesn't work with the short cages, but if you have someone put it in a lathe and whack the teeth off the 42, you can have a nice 9s 9-36, or you can cut some of the 42 off and whack the teeth off of the 36 and have a 9-28.
And I happen to have one NIB that I may not have much use for anymore. :brows:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I put a new one of those cassettes on my DH bike last winter ready for a summer of DH.

Then due to the new world I didn't head to a bike park all summer and only had one run down a local trail on the bike. I'd say stick with it, it's on your DH bike so should last several years surely?

Sram XG-795 will cost you about $250
You can likely buy the alu Pro4 HG driver and sell your XD driver for about a wash.