Quantcast

What would you do?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I just had a call about a stolen moped. The victim is unemployed and spends much of his day at the library researching jobs. He usually locks his moped to a cement to ceiling pole but was told recently, by security, that he needs to lock it to the regular bicycle rack.

The bike rack is not secured to the ground and is the type that just holds your wheel in place. Each individual wheel holder can be removed from the frame with a crescent wrench in less than a minute. He brought this to the security officer's attention and the officer assured him that their "security team" would keep an eye on it as well.

well, today, his moped was stolen from that same rack and the suspect simply removed the wheel holder from the frame and slipped the lock over it and drove away.

i had a few words with the security officer about how mad i'd be if that was my DH bike (not that i'd lock it to a shoddy rack like that)
the victim and i raised enough stink that the security guy called the library director to set up a conference with the victim on monday.

so anyway...lets say that was your beloved bike and you were told that you had to lock it their rack and that they'd watch it for you while you were inside. who would you call? how would you handle it?

i hope i don't get in trouble for raising a stink about this...considering that the library director gets paid from the same bank account that i do :eek: ;)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I don't think they were in the wrong for insisting he do that, but they shouldn't have promised to watch it when they had no intention to.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
yeah, agreed. but the rack wasn't even secured to anything and it's obviously easy to disassemble it. just doesn't seem very responsible.

the victim should have spent the $20-$30 for a disk rotor lock so the moped could not be driven.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
manimal said:
i hope i don't get in trouble for raising a stink about this...
God Bless You.

I mean that seriously and honestly.

Most people feel screwed in a situation like that. They feel like they have no power and without money, can't hire a lawyer.

It takes someone with a little power, authority, whatever to get people to listen... someone like you.

Technically, the library is solely responsible, but the guy (without your help) would probably just get run-over by the library director and/or city attorney.

On behalf of the little peope, thank you for atleast getting the guy heard.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
IF I were in that situation, I would no doubt be VERY upset and at the very least try and get something worked out with the libary to at least cover the cost of the deductible for my renters insurance. And if that didn't work..... I think I would follow the security guard, that told me to use the crappy bike lock, home and jump out of the bushes with a can of teargas and mace his ass and then kick him in the :nuts:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
manimal said:
the victim should have spent the $20-$30 for a disk rotor lock so the moped could not be driven.
probably. but you said the guy is at the library researching job.

no job + no computer + no car = a guy with no excess money

i feel bad for the guy, but think it's super cool you're helping him out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't lock it to a rack because I am supposed to. I find the most secure locking spot and lock it there.

For example, I went to a show on Market Street, which is like Times Square. I locked my bike in a parking garage 4 blocks away, behind a sign to a heavy chain fence, not the more exposed bike rack in the garage, and certainly not on Market...

You could and should make a stink, but ultimately it is the moped owners responsibility.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
If a business forced me to leave my bike in a vulnerable position and for some reason I could not leave it anywhere else, I would have wanted some written assurance about theft protection.