Quantcast

What would you do?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Story time.

In April I bought a pair of the Hone cranks off of ebay, the burly ones with the steel BB and pedal inserts. I was planning on upgrading my bike, but never got around to installing them. Eventually I decided to just build up a new bike, and found out that the 175mm cranks I had would not clear the stays on my new frame. So I went back to ebay and tracked down a set of the 170mm Hones, again with the inserts and steel BB axle (managed to sell my 175s).

I got the cranks today. Much to my dismay, they have an aluminum BB and no inserts (but they are 170mm and have a bashgaurd). I am guessing the seller just had a mix-up when he shipped. I sent him a message explaining all of this madness, and asked if he had any of the 170s / bash / steel / inserts left. If he does, I guess I am going to try and swap mine for his and call it fair.

What would you do? I guess I could just run them and forget about it, but I ride a hardtail and am somewhat hard on cranks (my last ones are bent and stripped . . . shame on FSA ;)). I am pretty set on the Hones, I want the inserts that XTs dont have and I dont want the overkill that is Saint. I could try and sell 'em, but who will pay $130 for LX cranks?

On behalf of the seller, he seems like a solid dude and I would not hesitate to do business with him again. This just seems like a bitch of a mix-up.

To BS, BV, blue, and everyone sucessfully building up their bottlerockets and other assorted rides, :eviltongu

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
What you should do is contact some people in the Department of Justice and get him indicted for fraud. As soon as possible. Ideally they will break down the door to his house with one of those tanks that has a battering ram on the front. After that, you and the other gestapo can go terrorize other law-abiding citizens, demanding to see papers and illegally searching them and stuff.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
What you should do is contact some people in the Department of Justice and get him indicted for fraud. As soon as possible. Ideally they will break down the door to his house with one of those tanks that has a battering ram on the front. After that, you and the other gestapo can go terrorize other law-abiding citizens, demanding to see papers and illegally searching them and stuff.
CALL MANIMAL!@*^$&!(@!!

If the seller's a good guy, he'll swap you for the mix-up and no harm done. I've had that happen to me on eBay before...as long as he's an okay guy, I don't see any problems.

On a side note, I've almost got all the stuff for the HT...just need my fork, a front wheel, and some pedals. I'm gonna be running the 175 XTs off of my XC bike. We'll see how they hold up. GNAR!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Just so you have all the info...the BB spindle is not aluminum in either versions of that crank, it would never hold up. The only real difference is the pedal inserts and that shul not be an issue if you tighten your pedals correctly. (in my 30+ years of riding aluminum cranks, I have never stripped a pedal insert)

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Looks like the seller and I are going to be able to work something out. I am probably just being paranoid, as the aluminum axle looks BURLY, but I want the security blanket. I also managed to strip my current pair of cranks, even though I always hand-thread the pedals in. Maybe I am just a poor mechanic, or maybe I hit something super hard and managed to knock down the threads.

davep said:
the BB spindle is not aluminum in either versions of that crank, it would never hold up.
Hmm. The thicker axle is not magnetic, while the thinner one is.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4982/1363661ekm8.jpg

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8264/dscf1820rereya9.jpg

I appreciate the other suggestions, too. Maybe pics of gorilla action if I get bored enough.