Quantcast

What would you do?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Found an awesome deal on a bike... maybe too good of a deal.

Seller is only a few hours away yet prefers to ship than local pickup and cash in hand.

Checked the boards for 'stolen bike' listings.

Called around to some local shops to see if they knew about it.

Everything seems good... but the not wanting local pickup is buggin me.

Whatcha think?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Ask for an explanation as to why they would not want you to pick up in person. Sounds fishy...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Some people just have poor social skills or no desire to have contact with others. If this is the case, then ask for the serial number. If the seller refuses, then he's hiding something.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
tell him you would really like to save money by picking it up and suggest a nuetral location. offer to drive all the way to him. if he is not hearing it then it will be a tough choice tolet the bike go

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
oh come on! How naive are you really?

You said yourself it was a "too good to be true" deal with a sketchy seller.

You already know it's a scam.

Go ahead and send him the money.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Found an awesome deal on a bike... maybe too good of a deal.

Seller is only a few hours away yet prefers to ship than local pickup and cash in hand.

Checked the boards for 'stolen bike' listings.

Called around to some local shops to see if they knew about it.

Everything seems good... but the not wanting local pickup is buggin me.

Whatcha think?

That seems weird. I would always have someone pick up the bike other than package and ship it.

I say pass.

Also - did you sell the rail?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Dude has a decent selling history and is cool with Paypal... so I went for it.

Maybe I get screwed, maybe not... but I've got a few Aces up my sleeve in case anything happens.

Jebfour - Still have the rail... it's just too small for me. Built it up and rode it around the streets, fun bike but SHORT. Gonna do a trade deal with a guy for parts & little cash.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I hope you have enough aces to cover possession of stolen property. The good news is that you would probably just have the bike taken back and not charged with anything. Unless someone pokes around and sees your original post. Then you're screwed.

Although it hasn't been reported stolen at this moment doesn't mean that it couldn't happen in the next month or two.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
I hope you have enough aces to cover possession of stolen property. The good news is that you would probably just have the bike taken back and not charged with anything. Unless someone pokes around and sees your original post. Then you're screwed.

Although it hasn't been reported stolen at this moment doesn't mean that it couldn't happen in the next month or two.
i doubt seriously that he would get in any trouble for possession of stolen goods when he bought it off someone

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
i doubt seriously that he would get in any trouble for possession of stolen goods when he bought it off someone
In most states it's still receiving stolen goods whether you bought it from someone or not. It depends on how the police interpret the law in that state.

In NC it is still illegal to sell cotton after midnight, but no one ever goes to jail for it.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL

And I'm wary of it.

If it does turn out to be stolen it will be worth the money for the Karma of getting someone their bike back.

That and I will make sure they get the guy who sold it to me...

And this post won't hurt me - shows that I took the effor to call local shops, and checked up on it within the MTB online community.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Too good to be true.

If he really wants to sell it, he will meet you. Tell him lets meet at a local police station, and then you will really know.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Update - got the bike. Kinda what I expected - definately ridden hard and put away wet, but it's solid. Will have to put some $$ into it, but I still got a good deal.

Only thing is the a-hole basically diassabled it and threw it inot a box!He didn't protect anything! Oh well...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
'05 Giant Faith 3 for $515 shipped.

I was really buying it for the frame... and that's just about what I got. Will be able to sell off some of the parts I don't want to get some of the items that are beat to sh*t. Already have better brakes, guide and a boxxer that I was going to swap out anyway.