Quantcast

What would you pay for Titanium Derailer Pulleys?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The important part is how good are the bearings. Ti vs plastic is a negligible weight difference, but better bearings offset any weight complaints. Replaceable, sealed bearings.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
How are those metal cassettes and metal chainrings working for ya?
They're for transferring power, something plastic pulley's don't do.

For the OP... why would you even want Ti pulley's? What is the benefit? Ti isn't a wonder material for everything.

My answer is no. I wouldn't buy them and I wouldn't want them. Even if they were the same price as the plastic pulley's that come with the derailleur, I still wouldn't want them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd rather spend my money on something important like custom machined bar end caps or maybe some beryllium brake caliper bolts.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd rather spend my money on something important like custom machined bar end caps or maybe some beryllium brake caliper bolts.
Oddly enough, my late-90s Wooly Fabrication gold-ano bar end caps may be one of the oldest and longest-runningest bike components I have. 'Course they're nothing close to gold anymore. My Time aliums might be that old, too, though, and are probably more useful.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
My curiosity is plastic eventually wears and shark fins. I've got several old derailer pulleys that are in really bad shape. I thought, or so I have been told, Titanium is a really strong metal and light weight. So my thought is, light weight is good, metal is stronger than plastic so it would take longer to wear them out. Would there be any benefit? As to noise, I could care less.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
My curiosity is plastic eventually wears and shark fins. I've got several old derailer pulleys that are in really bad shape. I thought, or so I have been told, Titanium is a really strong metal and light weight. So my thought is, light weight is good, metal is stronger than plastic so it would take longer to wear them out. Would there be any benefit? As to noise, I could care less.
Titanium is light... compared to steel. Compared to plastic of equal size, it is boat anchor heavy. It is also expensive. You could buy a dozen or more plastic pulleys for the price of one set of titanium pulleys.

The plastic pulleys weigh about 20g for the pair. So even if you made the new ones out of air, you're still paying $150-200 for a 20g weight loss.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Have you ever felt like your derailluer pulleys are slowing you down? Go ahead and blame your brakes, fork seals and lack of Kashima. I got titnium pulleys mofo... The very defintion of badass.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Not sure where they cost as much as people are quoting but I see them on Ebay in aluminum 12grams around $12 and $30 for Titanium 13grams. But in plastic I see sets going for $18 bucks shipped and $20 at about 9grams so weight isn't the issue, my curiosity is would the metal pulleys take longer to wear being they are only about $6 bucks more for a set of aluminum and under $20 for Ti, is it worth it? Anyone out there have them that can speak from experience?

Last edited: