Quantcast

What would your reaction be?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Taken from the NY Times "Dear Diary" section: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/23/nyregion/23diary.html

Dear Diary:

After running some errands on a recent sunny afternoon, I walked back toward my bike, which was locked to a lamppost at 82nd Street and Broadway. To my confusion, I came upon a man with a wrench busy at my back wheel. The following exchange ensued:

Me: "What are you doing?"

Thief: "Is this your bike?"

Me: "Yes, it is."

Thief: "Great timing!"

The man broke into a cheerful grin and reached out eagerly for a handshake. We shook, and he clasped me on the back and walked off into the passing crowd.

Thief: "Have a good one!"

Me: "Thanks!"

Another selling point for the 2012 Olympics: even our thieves are polite.Evan Lowy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd politely ask him for the wrench so I could tighten my wheel back up. Then beat him about the head and neck with said wrench.

J

JRB

Me - uhm - that's my bike.

Thief - did you really need to put that wrench up my ass???

Me - walk away, punk.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We will see when the time comes, but I have promised myself if I ever catch anyone stealing one of my bikes, I would walk right up to him without saying a word.

You see, almost everyone who sees someone stealing their bike is going to yell something like "Get away from my bike". The thief probably counts on that as his warning to disappear. And most people will give up a chase quickly, assuming the thief has gotten away with nothing, because of the instinctual fear of violence.

Anyway, I figure if I say nothing as I walk up to him, I can get a punch in while my blood is boiling....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I got to catch a theif on my cruiser in college. Dumbass rolled into my bikeshop to fill up the tubes.

me: "So how do you like my bike?"
theif: "What are you talking about?"
me: "My bike, you're sitting on it, not for very long though."
theif: "My friend gave it to me"
me: "Great, your friend is f**king theif too. You, me, him and the police can work this all out"
theif: "Uhh. Uhh."
me: "Leave it there and get the hell outta here....NOW"

So awesome, he was scare senseless, caught with the merchandise, with a pissed off dude with a BIG wrench in his hand barking at him ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Lot of factors at play here... How big the guy is, how public the location is, if he's got a wrench, are we talking about a big wrench that he could do some serious mauling with, etc.

I'd be angry, but I'm not going to be stupid enough to take a swing at a 6'5", 250lb guy with a wrench...

J

JRB

binary visions said:
I'd be angry, but I'm not going to be stupid enough to take a swing at a 6'5", 250lb guy with a wrench...
Funny - I'd pegged you to not be that smart. :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The reality for me would be "Hey, stop thief!" and he runs off. I think the one advantage for bike thieves is lack of an appropriate punishment. I wonder if someone grabbed a thief, held him down, then got a cop to make an arrest; would the thief even serve more than a day in jail?