Quantcast

Whatever happened to . . . ?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I was out riding a local "OC" spot a while back and ran into Dave Cullinan (aka Cully). He is living here in Orange County and I believe that he is doing some product testing for GT. Think he rode the world masters last year as well.

Oh, and he still rips!!
does he still refuse to wear gloves?.....

blenkinsop is the next cully......same style on a bike, and he rides gloveless.....i love it

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Conner is a rad dude now. When I first met him, he was maybe 12... came up to me and asked me an endless list of questions about my bike.

As Lee said, he is a straight up chiller now. He also kills it on a BMX bike, no footed cans, airing quarter pipes pretty high. Total 180 from his old self.

Definitely an east coast legend, haha... His parents are also some of the most genuine people I know, for sure.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
What about doug henry, where'd that dude go? Fastest man with toe clips ever.

I can't believe that kid Connor. I was one of the few people that would actually talk to him (and his mother). I remember at the begining of one season, as a joke, I asked the mother for a Dr Trimmer hat. Well, by about August, she showed up at one of the nationals with one. Also, Connor was one of the few people whom I explained my theories on goats and birds to...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Doug raced a couple MX races a year and full time SuperMoto up until last year when he crashed. He is now paralysed.
Damn, I didn't know that.
Did it have anything to do with his old back injury causing it?
I know that guy had a alot of hardware in his spine.
That sucks.
I remember when he just randomly showed up at Vermont and won Expert by like 30 seconds.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
That sucks.
I remember when he just randomly showed up at Vermont and won Expert by like 30 seconds.
Not sure on the cause. I am sure that you could find out over at motonews.com

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Conner

http://highgearracing.com/Video/ConnorInterview.wmv (this is a video that the E13 guys made a few years ago. Still funny today)

I saw him last year at a race. Has his own "crew" now.
Holy crap! I remember that kid...He must have followed me around the pits at Mt. Snow for at least 10 minutes before asking me if I wanted some cookies. I was with Sanj. so of course we took up the offer for free food!!@

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
What about Sari Jorgensen?
you might wanna use gloves.:twitch:

Conner kills me:D
We were at Snowshoe and heard some kid 3 tents down in the pits say "Do you have any FREE USED DOWNHILL TIRES?" about 85 decibels. You saw mechanics scatter.

What was really funny about was the stack of about 6-7 tires he had on his shoulder while asking. Then he keeps right on down the line at max volume with the same question. Finally, some mechanic says really loud where everybody can hear...."Ummm...yeah...come back around 5pm Sunday after the race."

After that it went like this:
"Do you have any FREE USED DOWNHILL TIRES?"
"Ummm...yeah...come back around 5pm Sunday after the race."

Great kid though...our sport could use alot more of them.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
John McCann?

Once a fixture a Sunday River. Maybe just doing moto now?
Correct. He's racing the vet open class in moto now, and pretty much winning everything he enters.

That guy was always such a beast, whether he was riding that Avalanche/Cortina or that insane Avalanche/BMW. I remember getting passed by him in a really slow, tricky section at a Sunday River race one time, and although I went balls to the wall to try and follow his lines, he was out of sight after two turns. Super cool dude, though.

--JP

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
You all know former MTB X games winner Rob Naughton (he won $10,000 for the first and last summer MTB X) is a top off road truck driver, competes with todd and kyle Leduc-as well as FOX racing shock guru John Marking.

http://robertnaughton.com/robert_naughton/Blog-Robert-Naughton-CORR-Prolite-54/Blog-Robert-Naughton-CORR-Prolite-54.html
I had a poster of him on a Stumpjumper FSR with air shock and Judy DH bar hump jumping at some pro race in the woods on my wall. Spandex specialized shorts, Blue Bellistic Reebok pump helmet and all

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
That sucks.
He broke his back at a Supermoto race in Florida, different break from the old one from when he crashed at Budd's Creek.

He is able to stand on his own w/ leg braces as of Sept. 07 (see pic below), hopefully doing even better now.

Doug Henry is one of a kind.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Bruno Zanchi - Is still probably a dick and cutting in lift lines in Italy...
Regina Stiefl - Is probably still a yummy mummy.
Corrodo Herin - Is probably doing Luge
Helen Mortimer - Was working with the British Cycling Federation
Jurgen Beneke - Is still fast on a bike
Christian Taillefier - Is still really fast on a bike
Mikael Pascal - Would be in the limelight if he had a good bike

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Bruno Zanchi - Is still probably a dick and cutting in lift lines in Italy...
Regina Stiefl - Is probably still a yummy mummy.
Corrodo Herin - Is probably doing Luge
Helen Mortimer - Was working with the British Cycling Federation
Jurgen Beneke - Is still fast on a bike
Christian Taillefier - Is still really fast on a bike
Mikael Pascal - Would be in the limelight if he had a good bike
Pascal rules. anyone else who's been following racing the past 10 years notice that his riding style and bike setup hasn't seemed to change one bit.

with the exception that he doesn't seem as inclined to boost the jumps the way he used to. that guy used to go huge, i'm sure Stik and a few others will remember the Vars finish line huck from 2001.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
What about the kid that would come into the dinner table at the hotel restaurant in Kaprun, with flowers in hand, hand written love letters, framed photos of EC and come in CRYING looking for EC. Then EC would oblige him and come out to greet him, and the kid looked like he just met Jesus.

Good times.
how crazy was that whole scene...the look on you and Leigh's face i will never forget....Kaprun was full of nut jobs....you know Pete D got in a real fight last time we were there? good times those world cup days were

CTR

Chimp
Sep 1, 2002
Australia
Steve Geal? (UK)

I had a poster of him circa 98, doing a past flat table and rocking a pair of orignal z.1s with the discs on the right hand side. I thought that was the coolest thing ever back then.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
aha awesome, I like when I said he likes "the kyle" or ebot and he had no idea what I was talking about. Trumpore is right, he is totally different and laid back now, such a funny kid.

Did he ever figure out you guys were screwing with him in that video?

Anyway, great work with the video. It's a classic.

What's up with the 505 in your screen name?

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Did he ever figure out you guys were screwing with him in that video?

Anyway, great work with the video. It's a classic.

What's up with the 505 in your screen name?
he kinda always took things seriously which was funny, notice he mentioned my whitebros. forks for dh, he knew what EVERYONE had on their bikes, like every component. I didnt like really messing with him but I just like to egg it on when Aaron was around cuz then he'd run around and be like "have you seen chase, i was supposed to meet him in the pits and ride etc..." haha

O and 505 is just my motocross #

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
he kinda always took things seriously which was funny, notice he mentioned my whitebros. forks for dh, he knew what EVERYONE had on their bikes, like every component. I didnt like really messing with him but I just like to egg it on when Aaron was around cuz then he'd run around and be like "have you seen chase, i was supposed to meet him in the pits and ride etc..." haha
Chris Carleton always had the best interactions with Connor. I remember back in '03, around the time there was quite a debate raging between running 24 or 26" wheels on street/park bikes, and we were down in Snowshoe for the NCS race. As we were unloading the Bang Bus and setting up the tents on the first day, I saw Connor heading over to our pit. Knowing that he'd be asking me questions for the next 20 minutes, I went and hid in the back of the truck hoping he'd pass by. Of course, Carleton couldn't resist the temptation and lured him in. As Chris rolled his Imperial out of the back of the truck, I hear Connor say, "You liar, Chris! You did NOT put 29-inch wheels on your Evil!"

--JP

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
"You liar, Chris! You did NOT put 29-inch wheels on your Evil!"

the funny part about that is back then, no one really even would have ever thought of putting 29ers on a mountain bike, I was just being a total jackass when I told him I put those wheels on my imp. This is among many of the totally screwed up things I told this kid. I believe one time him, his mother, and myself all had an in depth conversation about my philosophy on birds and goats.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
This thread is bringing back bad memories of wrenching for Evil Bikes back at the 2001 Mt Snow National. Been a long time since I heard a lot of these names.

I have a few what happened to people showing my age and where I came from (collegiate)

Jay Marconi
Brian Cavalierri
Brendan Cavanaugh
Ken Avery

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I believe one time him, his mother, and myself all had an in depth conversation about my philosophy on birds and goats.
I think that was sometime around the time when his mom came by our pit at Mount Snow and screamed at us all because Fraser said he wanted to interview Connor for Transcend. We were discussing the incident back at the condo later that night and someone said Connor's mom was a bird. Your reply: "F*ck that, she's an Eagle. King of all birds."

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
This thread is bringing back bad memories of wrenching for Evil Bikes back at the 2001 Mt Snow National. Been a long time since I heard a lot of these names.

I have a few what happened to people showing my age and where I came from (collegiate)

Jay Marconi
Brian Cavalierri
Brendan Cavanaugh
Ken Avery
Some classic old East Coast names there! Here's what I know:
Marconi - Last I heard, he was some sort of federal agent (FBI, Marshal, Secret Service . . . something like that)
Cavalierri - no clue
Cavanaugh - Last time I saw him, I was driving the Bang Bus down I-93 near Boston, and he pulled up along side of me randomly honking and waving
Avery - Heard something about him opening up a Subway sandwich shop?

--JP

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
Guess that explains why Marconi is off the 'grid'. I gather Dunston is around here somewhere too.

I think one of my favorite memories is Lolli riding a mini bike (not moto) with a full face on and then eating it on absolutely nothing. Forget if that was a p'kill moment or not.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
I think that was sometime around the time when his mom came by our pit at Mount Snow and screamed at us all because Fraser said he wanted to interview Connor for Transcend. We were discussing the incident back at the condo later that night and someone said Connor's mom was a bird. Your reply: "F*ck that, she's an Eagle. King of all birds."
she totally was an eagle, talons and all.

dude remember sleeping pills?

and ronalds steakhouse?

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Guess that explains why Marconi is off the 'grid'. I gather Dunston is around here somewhere too.

I think one of my favorite memories is Lolli riding a mini bike (not moto) with a full face on and then eating it on absolutely nothing. Forget if that was a p'kill moment or not.
haha I don't remember that but I'm sure it happened.
Dunstan is out west right now Working for Ducati, Marconi is in the DEA in the Seattle area arresting fools. Avery sold his Subway and I think is doing real estate and stuff.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
Pascal rules...i'm sure Stik and a few others will remember the Vars finish line huck from 2001.
I remember that, ridiculous, especially to try it during a race run, though if memory serves me he was off the pace for some reason??

And as far as an East Coast reunion, I want in. Especially if some of these characters come out of the woodwrok

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I remember that, ridiculous, especially to try it during a race run, though if memory serves me he was off the pace for some reason??

And as far as an East Coast reunion, I want in. Especially if some of these characters come out of the woodwrok

Matt, are you still in the San Diego area? I'll be out there week after next, 24th-March 1st, and my bike is coming with me.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
Matt, are you still in the San Diego area? I'll be out there week after next, 24th-March 1st, and my bike is coming with me.
Kinda...about 2 hours north but we could work something out. I'll come down and ride Ted Willy's. What's your transportation look like? We have some trails around here that are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. They might still have some snow on them though, I'll have to check.

Ian, you still have the stink-mitt on?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
JeffD sent me this link earlier today and the irony of this thread on RM seemed appropriate to pilfer it from SORBA's site.

Here are some interesting names in places you don't think of them being. See if you can find these:
1. Tara Llanes
2. Libor Karos
3. Brandon Sloan
4. Paul Bell
5. Jeff Lenosky