Quantcast

Whatever happened to . . . ?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
The post about Lopes that has gradually evolved into a discussion about the dominance of the Aussies and Kiwis got me to thinking. Whatever happened to some of those riders who showed so much promise 6-8 years ago, but eventually faded out of the picture?

Please chime in if you know anything about the whereabouts of some of these old-school folks, and for that matter, feel free to post up others I have forgotten.

+Henry O'Donnell (didn't he get a top-5 in the junior worlds one year)?

+Colin Bailey (always at the top of the NORBA circuit for years, despite his uncanny resemblance to Eddie Munster)?

+Liam Panozzo (at a very young age (16?) this dude qualified 2nd at a NORBA finals in Durango that had the same roster as most World Cups)?

+"Suede" Boots (I seem to remember some doping scandal?)?

+Mike King?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Whatever happened to Pex.....?....:monkey:
His Risse fork blew up when he came up short on an attempt to jump the creek at Plattekill, and the resulting crash caused him lingering pain that could only be curbed by smoking tons of pot. Eventually, his mom got sick of the weed smoke and kicked him out of her basement. Last I heard, he and Dangerous Dan Dickan were putting together a fitness video, selling apres-race headware, and trying to track down Ninenine, who stole Pex's remaining pot and threw his bike in the lake at Mount Snow.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
His Risse fork blew up when he came up short on an attempt to jump the creek at Plattekill, and the resulting crash caused him lingering pain that could only be curbed by smoking tons of pot. Eventually, his mom got sick of the weed smoke and kicked him out of her basement. Last I heard, he and Dangerous Dan Dickan were putting together a fitness video, selling apres-race headware, and trying to track down Ninenine, who stole Pex's remaining pot and threw his bike in the lake at Mount Snow.
hahahaha....:clapping:.....another good one.....those were the days.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
John: please report to Michigan to clean my monitor. I just spit pop all over it.

I miss Dan from an entertainment value. I have some excellent video of his riding and his various uses of the F bomb to motivate himself. I really wish I had a helmet cam running when he passed me at Mount Snow in 2002 when I was going about 40mph. He hit a dainage and went over the bars just when he was passing the guy 2 in front of me. I don't think he knew where he was but he was complaining that he couldn't find his bike. Then he proceeded to win the expert 25-29 I think. The he told us how awesome his run was.

He also appeared in Nitro Circus 2 DVD eating it in the yard sale. I wish I had the audio for it.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS VIDEO!!

Ninenine, who stole Pex's remaining pot and threw his bike in the lake at Mount Snow.
Oh my god I forgot about that whole drama. Man, the good old days. That might have been one of the funniest things ever on the internet.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
The post about Lopes that has gradually evolved into a discussion about the dominance of the Aussies and Kiwis got me to thinking. Whatever happened to some of those riders who showed so much promise 6-8 years ago, but eventually faded out of the picture?

Please chime in if you know anything about the whereabouts of some of these old-school folks, and for that matter, feel free to post up others I have forgotten.

+Henry O'Donnell (didn't he get a top-5 in the junior worlds one year)?

Cutting down tree's in Downieville.

+Colin Bailey (always at the top of the NORBA circuit for years, despite his uncanny resemblance to Eddie Munster)?

stopped for a couple of years due to now sponsorship i believe...looking to get back on the bike i hear?

+Liam Panozzo (at a very young age (16?) this dude qualified 2nd at a NORBA finals in Durango that had the same roster as most World Cups)?

?

+"Suede" Boots (I seem to remember some doping scandal?)?

Olympic BMX coach for the Aussie's

+Mike King?
involved with the Olympic BMX push in the States...i think he is overlooking the whole program.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Don't think Wade Bootes was doping.... I thought he was busted for taking Disco Biscuits?
Either way Trek dropped him like a hot potato as a result.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Liam Panozzo is still riding and racing over here. His family is a large part of the mob who are running the national round this weekend at Mt Beauty (his home town), no doubt he'll be on the podium. Insanely fast little bugger.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
King - as EC said, running the USAC BMX program along w/Doug Martin (I think?)

I've seen Bootes' name in some AU national results in the past year or so, riding for some local garage company frame.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
I bet the video last 30 minutes, and then the next hour of the video is Dan describing every detail of how awesome the workout was.:rofl:
Craziest dude ever.
Yeah, that guy's a classic. There's actually a couple of dudes on one of our Michigan sites that absolutely worship him. Read this for some entertainment: http://highgearracing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1612

You can do a search on there for the two Dickan fans and the posts are, well, it's hard to explain...see for yourself.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ
I was wondering about O'Donnell recently. He was supposed to be the next big thing, but come the next season nobody knew who he was.

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
I spoke to Joel and Liam Panozzos dad the other day. As Socket said , Liam will ride this weekend , he hasn't been doing much DH , but will dust off the bike and ride to a podium no doubt !

Joel is riding mini motos , apparently he's hooked and getting into racing them.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
I heard Mike King is still looking for his wallet....
hahaha.. that's hilarious! true,... but hilarious! :D

spoke to king a few months ago. he hadn't ridden a bike since his last Jeep race apparently. He was kinda interested in getting to ride again & possibly do a few races. but yah, he's the BMX director/coordinator/whatever over at USA Cycling... so that'll keep him busy (especially this year!)

Bootes runs the BMX athlete identification and training program for AIS. He's doing a good job. And he brought the skinsuit to BMX. YAY!
yah, i used to get newsletter emails from bootes regarding his training younger bmx riders in Aus. haven't seen one lately, but that might be because they were sent to my old Utopia email.

Joel is probably riding mini's w/ Tai Lee Muxlow - both are crazy into mini's

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
I also heard Insane Wayne is still sharting on peoples faces while they sleep...

^ Anyone remember that story with Wayne Crossdale and Jake Watson from the Mammoth World Cup in '95? Quite possibly the funniest story I ever heard.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I say we start our own mountain biking hall of fame. I hereby nominate Dan Dickan, Chris Carleton, and PEX. And maybe Jon Mutiger too.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Second greatest Mt. Snow moment ever:

Dan Dickan standing course side at the Pro MtnX finals

In Jeans.

Spandex National Champion Jersey

Medal draped on neck

Alone.

For hours.

AHAA...is there anyone here that didnt hear how sick his run was that whole weekend? God bless that dude

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
AHAA...is there anyone here that didnt hear how sick his run was that whole weekend? God bless that dude
my first encounter was when me and Herndon took a trip to Plattekill in 99 maybe? Anyway...we got there super early so we could get in a ton of riding. When the lights got low and the campfires came out...he latched onto us like a case of the clap! That was a classic weekend too. I met "BO", Holly, Hartlove, Whitsell, Recker, Dick Dan, lil Van Dine, Nobman, Lars, Seplavy, Weagle, John P...all at 1 race for the first time.

Oh..and I was overheard at the results saying "Hey Chris you beat that tall skinny ucker feh Kyle Ebbett" followed by..."Yeah..that would be me." At that moment I realized just how tall...:shocked:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I say we start our own mountain biking hall of fame. I hereby nominate Dan Dickan, Chris Carleton, and PEX. And maybe Jon Mutiger too.
dude....mutiger is classic......i gotta get ahold of him....he moved to whistler and got married......last i knew, he had been racing 24 hour four man team harescrambles by himself with no team in semi pro class and getting on the podium.....that's impressive....

dan's ears are burning.....his brother got out of jail and lives with him now.....don't even get me started on that jive....hahahahahhahaah

we should all try and plan some sort of east coast reunion....get ahold of all the old school guys from a decade ago and all meet up for a raucous weekend at plattekill or mt. creek.......we could sling vodka soaked ground chuck at people