Quantcast

whatever happened to...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
On another note ROCKGARDN , mark makes Suspension now for surrons..basic design, kept it simple , not great but has potential...
Googling isn't bringing up anything. Got any leads you can give me? I'm happy with the EXT & 40 or Dorado suspension on my Surrons but my friends are cheapskates and rougher on their forks' chassis.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Holly englertracing,sr suntor,you are serious aren’t you? I have not heard of this before.

Avy
Suntour manufactured Marzocchi forks. The DVO guys used to be the USA Marzocchi importer. So when they wanted to make suspension for less than the astronomical amount USA manufacturing would cost they went to the people they knew.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Suntour manufactured Marzocchi forks. The DVO guys used to be the USA Marzocchi importer. So when they wanted to make suspension for less than the astronomical amount USA manufacturing would cost they went to the people they knew.
Well,the First Zokie‘s were all made in Italy,Suntour came in 2000? I remember when they went to Taiwan,I did not know it was Suntour’s Factory.

So Suntour Forks should be on par with DVO no? At a much cheaper price tag as well.

Anyone here ever run Suntour Forks?

Avy

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well,the First Zokie‘s were all made in Italy,Suntour came in 2000? I remember when they went to Taiwan,I did not know it was Suntour’s Factory.

So Suntour Forks should be on par with DVO no? At a much cheaper price tag as well.

Avy
I ran the Aion and the Auron, and also the TriAir rear shock. The TriAir works fine, it's highly tunable, cheap, and easy to rebuild. I ran it for about three years.

For the forks, I only did a couple of test rides, fitted to mid-travel Marin bikes. The Aion uses their basic, cheap RC cartridge and is nothing to get excited about, but it works. The Auron surprised me, as it performs better than comparable RS products, price wise. It's not a Fox fork, but the dials do affect the fork's behavior, and the air cart felt maybe a little bit unresposive when compared to Fox.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Avy
I know their rear shocks are virtually identical. The DVO uses a bladder while the Suntour uses a plastic IFP. I'm sure the DVO has a marginally different tune, but my understanding is that they are super close to one another (minus the green).

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Yup dvo the monster energy themed sticker design company
I wii say this though. When I went from the RS Monarch debonair r2d2 hans solo air ctd PLUS with adjustable rebound® to the Topaz, the difference between the two is night and day. The Topaz does exactly what I was hoping the Monarch would have done. So though there's little differences between the two builds, I personally feel that there's a huge difference in their performance.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I briefly owned a Topaz that came with a used frame I bought. That thing was a piece of shit, so bad that it made the Float DPS that also came with the frame feel ok. The compression adjuster did nothing, the thing leaked air even after service, and the rebound just felt weird. I sold it to a guy who said he liked DVO, and he tried servicing it again, and also agreed that the thing was a turd.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008

Avy
I had the Aion I think on a Kona Precept. It worked well enough.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wii say this though. When I went from the RS Monarch debonair r2d2 hans solo air ctd PLUS with adjustable rebound® to the Topaz, the difference between the two is night and day. The Topaz does exactly what I was hoping the Monarch would have done. So though there's little differences between the two builds, I personally feel that there's a huge difference in their performance.
I replaced a Monarch on an old bike with a Topaz.

That Monarch had something wrong with its rebound, it'd knock when changing from compression rebound. It felt like as if one of the shock bushings was missing.

The Topaz worked, but like Andeh mentioned it kept losing air - on both sides. Because of that I was constantly fiddling with it.

I also had to run the rebound fully closed otherwise it felt like a pogo. And even then, it was still a little too fast.

The DVO Diamond I had felt awesome out of the box. But man a year later and it was clapped out. It wasn't even worth looking into it.

The one positive from both, is that the shock pump that came with the Topaz is still going strong. Not sure why or how, as I'm sure it's the same as all the others, but it's always been accurate and doesn't leak.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yup dvo the monster energy themed sticker design company
I have to say Brother,I learnt a lot real quick about History,and current matters real quick. I Love reading all the posts on it,good to know. I have never ran an Air Shock. I always had Zokie Forks,all of them. As for rear shock,what‘s my Handle?

Avy

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still have an RC41 Fighter. Super light with 20 mm axle. The performance was/is not too bad for such a light fork, only the HSC damping is weak. A heavier rider might find it too flexy. I prefered its performance over the 150 mm RS Revelation.

TPC+ Manitous always felt right to me, I like how progressive their air forks are too.

According to Rulezman, Intend is the best suspension. I guess I will never find out because I am too stingy. But seriously, Intend gets great customer reviews and you can get updates and spare parts no problem, at least in Europe.
Haha, the pace fork I had(same one) was an absolute fucking turd.
Stiction Stiction Stiction, then it felt digressive and on a 3ft drop the damper stopped working.
Pace tried blaming me for it because they chose not to put a stop on the damper adjuster.
I didn't have it out of range but the dealer here said they didn't want to fix it.
Mine cracked at a join but the thing I loved the most was the brass push rod, it was just so British, make something fancy but hide the shit bit where people can't see it.
Pace ended up leaving the local distributor out of pocket, he wasn't too happy with them.

Also had a Wotan and loved it, it was crude but it was beyond reliable.
From memory the damper was not user serviceable, maybe they just wouldn't sell me parts, can't remember.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Haha, the pace fork I had(same one) was an absolute fucking turd.
Stiction Stiction Stiction, then it felt digressive and on a 3ft drop the damper stopped working.
Pace tried blaming me for it because they chose not to put a stop on the damper adjuster.
I didn't have it out of range but the dealer here said they didn't want to fix it.
Mine cracked at a join but the thing I loved the most was the brass push rod, it was just so British, make something fancy but hide the shit bit where people can't see it.
Pace ended up leaving the local distributor out of pocket, he wasn't too happy with them.

Also had a Wotan and loved it, it was crude but it was beyond reliable.
From memory the damper was not user serviceable, maybe they just wouldn't sell me parts, can't remember.
Weird, mine was butter smooth, nearly no stiction. Like all forks, it develops stiction after some time w/o service.
"Digressive" sounds the same as my complain about not enough compression damping....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Weird, mine was butter smooth, nearly no stiction. Like all forks, it develops stiction after some time w/o service.
"Digressive" sounds the same as my complain about not enough compression damping....
Mine didn't really get to the enough time without service, it was just shit for the few rides it lasted.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The 2 Pace forks (RC35 & RC36 Proclass) I had back in the day were likewise both butty smooth, and super easy to service.
I still get a laugh about how they stayed working in the Himalaya's when everyone else's Rockshox and Marzocchi forks all froze up and stopped moving.