Quantcast

whatever happened to...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
DT Swiss suspension - Why do they still make suspension? In my history of riding XC and DH, weekly group rides and bike trips thru multiple states ant popular riding places, I've never seen a DT fork. As for rear suspension I've only seen it years ago when Scott's had that weird pull shock thing. Nothing since then. Are they OE on any bikes? Popular in Europe?

Same thing for MRP and Cane Creek. I can't say that I've seen any CC and only a handful of MRP.
Do these companies really make a good amount of income from their suspension?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
DT Swiss suspension - Why do they still make suspension? In my history of riding XC and DH, weekly group rides and bike trips thru multiple states ant popular riding places, I've never seen a DT fork. As for rear suspension I've only seen it years ago when Scott's had that weird pull shock thing. Nothing since then. Are they OE on any bikes? Popular in Europe?

Same thing for MRP and Cane Creek. I can't say that I've seen any CC and only a handful of MRP.
Do these companies really make a good amount of income from their suspension?
I see a handful of Cane Creeks out there, particularly shocks, but never any of the MRP forks and only 1 of the shocks (owner was not in love with it). I was wondering the same thing the other day WRT MRP, after seeing them show up in a PB video.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Seen plenty of CC stuff, less of the MRP.

CC was going strong back when that little inline coil came out, then they shit the bed all over the place and lost lots of consumer confidence. They were a pain to work on back then as well, wouldn't release any info or sell the tools required for a long time. You had to go through CC only.

MRP shocks are Elka, they just bought the design.
They must be selling somewhere, they recently were hiring for suspension techs. But they are rare even here in the homeland. :confused:

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I once considered one of those DT R 535 shocks for my xc fully, living in Europe and all.... but info about their service and spare parts didnt exist, so that idea was thrown out quickly.
It has an interesting air spring though. Maybe I'll find one in the garbage in a couple of years...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I once considered one of those DT R 535 shocks for my xc fully, living in Europe and all.... but info about their service and spare parts didnt exist, so that idea was thrown out quickly.
It has an interesting air spring though. Maybe I'll find one in the garbage in a couple of years...
Lol that's what I told antwan...he was trying to save money for a new build and wanted something now..there was one cheap and he was going to sell his fox 36 for it plus cash..didn't ask, just answered him...if he didn't know me it would have hurt his feelings lol

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
DT bought out Pace suspension a while back. My experience with Pace was it looked cool, weighed less, but performed miserably - and that was when even a really good fork still kinda sucked.

For a little while I thought that some of the newer/smallle brands really were going to shake up the suspension market but righ now it feels like the options are fox/rockshox for outright performance, marzocchi for a budget fox option, manitou if you like nostalgia (though I hear they work really well).
Ohlins, DVO, MRP, CC, Intend, EXT etc you’re either paying a lot more, or getting much less in terms of outright performance or service support. If I see a custom specced bike with one of the above it feels like it’s a statement rather than a performance choice.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
DT bought out Pace suspension a while back. My experience with Pace was it looked cool, weighed less, but performed miserably - and that was when even a really good fork still kinda sucked.

For a little while I thought that some of the newer/smallle brands really were going to shake up the suspension market but righ now it feels like the options are fox/rockshox for outright performance, marzocchi for a budget fox option, manitou if you like nostalgia (though I hear they work really well).
Ohlins, DVO, MRP, CC, Intend, EXT etc you’re either paying a lot more, or getting much less in terms of outright performance or service support. If I see a custom specced bike with one of the above it feels like it’s a statement rather than a performance choice.
I still have an RC41 Fighter. Super light with 20 mm axle. The performance was/is not too bad for such a light fork, only the HSC damping is weak. A heavier rider might find it too flexy. I prefered its performance over the 150 mm RS Revelation.

TPC+ Manitous always felt right to me, I like how progressive their air forks are too.

According to Rulezman, Intend is the best suspension. I guess I will never find out because I am too stingy. But seriously, Intend gets great customer reviews and you can get updates and spare parts no problem, at least in Europe.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I still have an RC41 Fighter. Super light with 20 mm axle. The performance was/is not too bad for such a light fork, only the HSC damping is weak. A heavier rider might find it too flexy. I prefered its performance over the 150 mm RS Revelation.

TPC+ Manitous always felt right to me, I like how progressive their air forks are too.

According to Rulezman, Intend is the best suspension. I guess I will never find out because I am too stingy. But seriously, Intend gets great customer reviews and you can get updates and spare parts no problem, at least in Europe.
no doubt that intend gets good reviews, my comment regarding them being an outsider choice is that they’re beyond expensive.

good to hear that pace had some good forks in the line up. I had a RC37 evo (I think, been a while) and rode on a Monster a few times. They looked dope, but struggled with consistency and my fork was somewhat fragile. Would love a pub bike with one of their rigid forks.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I must be hording all the unicorns. There's a CC shock and an MRP Ribbon on my daughter's RFX. Also a DVO Diamond on my hardtail, and a Mezzer Pro on my enduro. Happy with the performance of all them (Mezzer>Diamond>Ribbon).

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
How is Gamut doing? They had a deal wish Spesh for a while,but how are they doing now,do not see much. They had a good product at a good price.

Avy

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I am doing my part on the Cane-Creek front, I have two coil and one air double-barrel.

Speaking of odd-ball suspension pieces...I still have a Magura Wotan. After Suspension-Werx got done with it it was pretty decent fork.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I am doing my part on the Cane-Creek front, I have two coil and one air double-barrel.

Speaking of odd-ball suspension pieces...I still have a Magura Wotan. After Suspension-Werx got done with it it was pretty decent fork.
I’m kind of surprised that Magura haven’t tried to enter the suspension market again. The Big Ego was iconic, and the Wotan seemed to be a good option in the long travel adjustable sector. Does it have the twin arch design?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I’m kind of surprised that Magura haven’t tried to enter the suspension market again. The Big Ego was iconic, and the Wotan seemed to be a good option in the long travel adjustable sector. Does it have the twin arch design?

36mm stanchions, 160mm travel, and yes, twin arch.

White DT - Springford 4.jpg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
My GF gas a DT fork on her hardtail. It is incredibly complicated inside as you can see on the picture below. Performance has room for improvement if you ask me but it's a xc fork so maybe it is fine...
1705923758212.png

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

I get it. But I put a DVO custom tuned Topaz on the back of my Spartan after my mishap with Avalanche. I think it was $475 for a custom tuned shock and it did what the Avalanche was supposed to do. I'm more sold on the DVO stuff cause it's not as outrageous as Elka or EXT.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
A buddy has one of those on his hardtail. Absolute gong show internally haha. Glad I don't have to service it.
I probably will never need to service it again, we got her a new bike :banana:
Her new bike, some sort of downcountry:pilot:, is much more confidence inspiring than her old school 26" hardtail and has a better fork: a bomber z2. I didn't know what to expect from the Z2 but it feels quite ok

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well buddy bought the dt fork...not through me or from me ..I assume to responsibility for this purchase...said he wants me to go through it when it comes in ..ehhh be curious to pull it apart.

On another note ROCKGARDN , mark makes Suspension now for surrons..basic design, kept it simple , not great but has potential...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well buddy bought the dt fork...not through me or from me ..I assume to responsibility for this purchase...said he wants me to go through it when it comes in ..ehhh be curious to pull it apart.

On another note ROCKGARDN , mark makes Suspension now for surrons..basic design, kept it simple , not great but has potential...
There is a name I have not heard in a long time.
Still have one of their ubiquitous 3/4 jerseys in a box somewhere....

1706029839142.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I get it. But I put a DVO custom tuned Topaz on the back of my Spartan after my mishap with Avalanche. I think it was $475 for a custom tuned shock and it did what the Avalanche was supposed to do. I'm more sold on the DVO stuff cause it's not as outrageous as Elka or EXT.
I'm hoping to get more than one season out of my DVO shocks (but the one on the winter bike puked at the end of last season). The one on my Balance is wacky and harsh tho, it's super light damping and the rebound only does something until like the last 2-3 clicks. I sent it to DVO and they said it was fine.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

The ext shock is really good on the two bikes I've ridden with them

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
How'd the avalanche deal go,
No lsc and semi truck rebound?
I'm hoping to get more than one season out of my DVO shocks (but the one on the winter bike puked at the end of last season). The one on my Balance is wacky and harsh tho, it's super light damping and the rebound only does something until like the last 2-3 clicks. I sent it to DVO and they said it was fine.
Dvo the sticker mfg?
Maybe send it back to sr suntor the mfg.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Dvo the sticker mfg?
Maybe, they said they *could* do a custom tune on it, which I'm not sure is very "custom"...but otherwise, it's just a backup for the Ohlins anyway, or at least that's the intention. Ohlins seems to want to get it right, in talking with them, so that's cool. And the other backup is a bomber CR that I tuned more than halfway decent.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Dvo the sticker mfg?
Holly englertracing,sr suntor,you are serious aren’t you? I have not heard of this before.

Avy