Quantcast

whatever happened to...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
yes but who actually uses/purchased one in the last 10 years? I remember Cedric Gracia swore by them back in the day.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
A female Norwegian DH pro was seen with a prototype Canfield DH bike this year, not sure if anything at all came of that.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
also, regarding canfield, i think one thing that really hurt them is that they don't have any offerings in carbon.
Isn't their 29er hardtail carbon? EPO or whatever?

A female Norwegian DH pro was seen with a prototype Canfield DH bike this year, not sure if anything at all came of that.
Had to google it again, as I did the first time:

http://forums.mtbr.com/canfield/canfield-leogang-world-cup-1047854.html

Seems like the '17 Balance was rated for a double crown fork, and given how Pietermaritzburgy Leogang was, it's understandable some riders would opt for a better pedaling bike. Phil Atwill went down the course on his DJ hardtail FFS.

EDIT: :picsstfu:

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
scary fast / rocket power parts
qranc

also my nema shorts held up as well as anything else i've owned and i'm still running a sunline v-one NOS bar on my current trail bike.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
RooX

Edit: still alive https://www.roox.at
My bad!:wave:
I'm not very good at reading German, but it seems to me they stopped fabrication in 2017 and are clearing out the inventory.

I have very bad memories of my Roox Torque bar with the wannabe-ergonomic kink in it. The only thing it did was to prevent the use of lock-on grips. :rant::thumbsdown:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
They basically admitted that the stuff they'd been making sucked, and said that they were going to go back to the drawing board and take their time getting a new brake out so that they could really nail it. The new brake hit the market recently and actually sounds really good on paper.

https://www.bikemag.com/eurobike-2018/eurobike-hayes-dominion-brake/
That new Hayes brake sounds like they've got a real winner. Reliable reviews on it sound promising.

apparently still around.

http://www.hopey.org/
Those things are popular for para-athletes and stuff. There's a one-armed rider out here that runs one and he's a legend. He does really well.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
whatever happened to...... using thrust bearings with coil springs? that was kind of a flash in the pan sort of thing. seemed like an OK idea, but then pretty much died out
We went through that in F1 and Indycar, where the chassis is so sensitive that we would adjust ride height and corner weight by 1/2 of a wrench flat on a nut.

The thrust bearings made setup slightly more consistent, by taking friction out while the car was on the setup pad (that's where the cars are aligned and chassis setup)

Feeling it on the track? not so much.

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
it amazes me they keep putting out bikes, but i can't say i've seen one in person in years. IIRC bikes is just a side business for the company. IIRC Brent is primarily involved in truck racing.
I think his main bread and butter is now camera trolleys for the film industry. but he will always be able to sell as many bikes as he can weld. He's a good guy and a great fabricator. He actually made some parts for us when I with Nissan GTP program in the 90's

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Tantrum cycles?
What happened?
Made a unique product, made a lot of noise... more than a few controversial public statements which should in the modern social media environment have assured them a massive following of mindless drones and bots.
But....... where are they now?
are they on track to become the North American Lahar?....
Don't worry Dave W (if that's your REAL name).

I be right here.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
He's still active, and didn't he sell his entire first batch and is getting another one going now? I'm pretty sure a few monkeys have ridden them and had good things to say. The same cannot be said for the kona coilair which I think was also his design, and was hands down the worst full suspension bike I've ridden short of a URT design.

Actually, the Marin DH bike a buddy got that had a 68 degree HA, a 15.3" BB, a super short front center, and a rear end flexier than a cirque du soleil contortionist was probably worse. Point is, the coilair was awful. I'm glad he's designing bikes that he gets to have a little more input on, so that if it sucks its on him and if its good than it wasn't fucked up by somebody else.
Sold out of the "kickstarter" batch. I am keeping a few frames around for warranty, as well as my demo fleet. The new batch will be around early next year.

Thanks for asking.

I would like to give you a ride on a dialed Coilair. I still have G1 and G3

Fun fact, when you design a suspension and shoehorn it into an existing frame......That first version was a freakin crazy exercise. The biggest problem was that I had come out of Indy car, etc and had NO CLUE how to deal with Taiwan. And their production methods.

The G1, which was essentially cramming my suspension into the existing coiler, was like stuffing a V8 into a Chevy vega (google it, young'uns).

And the Geo. Man, those times things were changing fast. I had to argue to get a SLACK 68 degree HTA. The XC guys will HATE it!!!

I'm like, ya, on a 180 mm travel bike???

so, you rode a bad one, with a tapered cradle that held the Magic Link (early production) that they couldn't hold tolerance on and made the rear wiggle. I had frames at my shop putting shims in, sent to me from dealers......Still, those bikes got rave reviews and Kona sold out early every year. The G2 Cadabra was really kind of a fore runner of modern enduro bikes. But that class didn't even exist then.

I still see those bikes out and about. It makes me smile. And sells bikes.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Sold out of the "kickstarter" batch. I am keeping a few frames around for warranty, as well as my demo fleet. The new batch will be around early next year.

Thanks for asking.

I would like to give you a ride on a dialed Coilair. I still have G1 and G3

Fun fact, when you design a suspension and shoehorn it into an existing frame......That first version was a freakin crazy exercise. The biggest problem was that I had come out of Indy car, etc and had NO CLUE how to deal with Taiwan. And their production methods.

The G1, which was essentially cramming my suspension into the existing coiler, was like stuffing a V8 into a Chevy vega (google it, young'uns).

And the Geo. Man, those times things were changing fast. I had to argue to get a SLACK 68 degree HTA. The XC guys will HATE it!!!

I'm like, ya, on a 180 mm travel bike???

so, you rode a bad one, with a tapered cradle that held the Magic Link (early production) that they couldn't hold tolerance on and made the rear wiggle. I had frames at my shop putting shims in, sent to me from dealers......Still, those bikes got rave reviews and Kona sold out early every year. The G2 Cadabra was really kind of a fore runner of modern enduro bikes. But that class didn't even exist then.

Hey Brian, I've always thought that the initial welcome you had here was ridiculous. All those monkeys screaming about how bad it would be because they were experts in Linkage.

I'm glad you're here man. You have my respect and I wish you all the success in the world.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
One of them was on our trip to Cerro Negro last week, a close friend is its fourth owner. I serviced the pivots/bearings for him a couple weeks ago, they showed no play at all. Here is a couple pictures of it, at 4200 meters above sea level:

photo5019682146494818395.jpg

photo5019682146494818364.jpg

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah, it was the first version to come out for sure. The geo was wonky, and even then the other 160-180mm bikes had better geometry across the board, but I get that when you're working with a company you have less than complete control of the entire design. Man that thing was wiggly though, the wheels were pretty much never pointed in the same direction even when the front wheel was pointed perfectly in line with the front triangle.

There are obviously a lot of variables as far as suspension performance, but with the stock setup, man that bike was just bad in pretty much every way. You could set it up to pedal well I guess, but you can do the same with most bikes. It had a weird divot feeling in the suspension that would kick in what felt like randomly, and it made it feel super awkward pushing hard on descents and even on tech climbs it felt...odd. Tech climbs are pretty much the last place that I'd ever give a shit about suspension performance though, because tech terrain that's steep is for going downhill on, not uphill, and if the going gets hard on the uphill I just get off and push without blaming the bike. I think its the only bike I've ever ridden that I felt straight up caused accidents for both me and my buddy (who owned it, but we were the same size/weight and traded bikes pretty regularly) because of weird and unpredictable suspension performance whenever it got rough.

Seems like your new bike people are liking though, so I'm pumped for you getting to have complete (or at least more, you never have complete with frames made overseas obviously) control over the bikes. I'd try one with an open mind for sure.

But I wouldn't ride the coilair ever again, no matter how much the design might have changed in v2/v3. Man that thing was a deathtrap :busted:

Its like shimano brakes - maybe they're good now, I don't know, but I'm not inclined to give them a chance again after they caused so many crashes and injuries by suddenly pulling to the bars and doing nothing to stop me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me again, shame on me. Fool me again, I still wont learn a lesson. Fool me again, and finally I learn that I should never ride shimano again.

Back on topic:

What ever happened to that company from socal that made some waves around 2010-2013 range (my memory is fuzzy on this one) with a new line of suspension products and then promptly disappeared. I think they made something else before the suspension, like brakes or handlebars or something. I want to say their name started with a P, but I wouldn't stake my life on that. I know that when they first started appearing in magazines, they were all on intense bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What ever happened to that company from socal that made some waves around 2010-2013 range (my memory is fuzzy on this one) with a new line of suspension products and then promptly disappeared. I think they made something else before the suspension, like brakes or handlebars or something. I want to say their name started with a P, but I wouldn't stake my life on that. I know that when they first started appearing in magazines, they were all on intense bikes.
no idea, but that just made me think of Elka.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Progressive. They started out (and still make) motorcycle and atv stuff. They went big into mountain bikes before deciding it wasn't worth it and the industry is fucked

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/products/harley