Quantcast

whatever happened to...

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I too feel AMOG'd when I see JonKranked's post count.

Back to topic, Zap was (and is) the man. Introduced me to cultures way outside of my Australian perspective when I was 14. Has a sh#####d of bikes too, according to that Missy vid.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was just thinking that I hadn't seen Muddy Fox bikes for a long time.
Yeah. sadly Muddyfox were bought by the Sports division empire and ruined like so many other half decent brand names.
I met the Scottish (now) billionaire who owns Sports Division 25 years ago while working fitting out one of his (Then "Sports division") store sites. I can still picture him now. The guy was wearing the most hideous tasteless shell suit (polyester tracksuit if it need translated) I've ever seen and looked like a 50yr old who'd had a particularly tough paper round. It was almost as if he was trying to be a walking parody. He was early 30s at most then.
I also knew the UK Muddyfox guys back in the late 90s early 00s from the local race/riding scene. This was back when Dan (then Gee and eventually Rach) rode for them. They were a sound and quite inovative company then and well into supporting DH and many DH riders (me included) and one of the reasons the South West English DH scene was so strong. The original Muddy Fox DH ultimate is still one of my favourite DH bikes ever produced. I always wanted Gee to take his first world cup on a Muddy Fox but the year he did Dan and Gee chose to race on stickered up M1s instead.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What ever happened to... Zapata Espinoza? I watched the Missy video posted earlier in the thread, saw him in it and thought, what happened that guy?

Edit: Wikipedia says he's current editor-in-chief of Road Bike Action Magazine
He's currently working as Editorial Director at

*drum roll*

*pause*

click ^^
I kinda like this guy even more now :drag:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Old(er) school here. Whatever happened to Ross Bikes? They seemed to disappear not long after I got into the game, around '94.

Actually... Univega and Shockworks as well. Any info?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Old(er) school here. Whatever happened to Ross Bikes? They seemed to disappear not long after I got into the game, around '94.

My first MTB was Ross Mt Washington. Pretty much the cheapest non department store bike I could buy.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

Univega is still busy and was part of Derby Cycling Holding, which also held Focus, Cervélo, Raleigh Germany. Derby was bought by Pon Holdings in 2013.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Interesting to see that Pace are going to give making full suspension bikes another go!
Back in the day my god did I want their monster full sus.
And to this day I still love the Pace RC35 and RC36 proclass forks that I had.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/04/pace-cycles-teases-first-carbon-full-suspension-29er-the-rc295/
I had a Pace fork in maybe 2004, it is to this day the worst fork I have ever owned. Yup, worse than a 2000 Judy XL, even worse than the Kowa that would keep going straight when you turned the bar and shipped with bushings that were beyond flogged out.
Pretty sure Pace owed our local distro a bit of money or product when he stopped dealing with them, I said I was going to hit them up about warranty and he asked if I could enquire about the stuffs owed to him, hahaha.

A carbon fork with a brass push rod and a damping adjustment without a stop, British engineering at it's finest. Sorta worked for a week then the damper blew, they blamed me, a couple of weeks after I got the damper back the fork split at a bond.

The used manitou black that replaced it was great, until one of the bushings fell out.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Ross went bankrupt back in the 90's. I think they tried to branch out a bit and had a government contract and it consumed too much time/energy and caused them to file for bankruptcy.

I read recently that the grandson is trying to reopen the business.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yup, worse than a 2000 Judy XL
I had one of those bloody Judy XL things on a Mongoose NX9.7 - The damper frequently blew and dumped all the oil into the lowers limiting it to about 25mm of travel. Every bloody race it blew. And then, because I make poor decisions - I initially bought a Stratos MX6 fork to replace it, but it wouldn't work with my wheels so I returned that fork without installing it and replaced it with an RST Alfalfa XL (Gravesy was running one so how bad could it be). Really fucken bad is how - pretty much the worst sealing technology in existence (aside from ZZYZX). You could only run that bike for 2 hours before the fork needed a strip down and re-grease just to keep it moving. Ran that for a year and then got an ex-team Boxxer which was a game-changer for me.

*edit* Found pic. There's quite a lot going on in this pic that I can't explain.

retro.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had one of those bloody Judy XL things on a Mongoose NX9.7 - The damper frequently blew and dumped all the oil into the lowers limiting it to about 25mm of travel. Every bloody race it blew. And then, because I make poor decisions - I initially bought a Stratos MX6 fork to replace it, but it wouldn't work with my wheels so I returned that fork without installing it and replaced it with an RST Alfalfa XL (Gravesy was running one so how bad could it be). Really fucken bad is how - pretty much the worst sealing technology in existence (aside from ZZYZX). You could only run that bike for 2 hours before the fork needed a strip down and re-grease just to keep it moving. Ran that for a year and then got an ex-team Boxxer which was a game-changer for me.

*edit* Found pic. There's quite a lot going on in this pic that I can't explain.

View attachment 132246
AMP mechanically actuated hydraulic brakes FTW.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
AMP mechanically actuated hydraulic brakes FTW.
Those were the RS-branded version of the AMP units. My dad got a picture once where I managed to get the back rotor glowing orange on a run. They used to get crazy hot.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Those were the RS-branded version of the AMP units. My dad got a picture once where I managed to get the back rotor glowing orange on a run. They used to get crazy hot.
They were probably the most reliable brake ever marketed by RS/Avid/Sram.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Really fucken bad is how - pretty much the worst sealing technology in existence
I share a bit of your experience. My first triple clamp was a Judy XL as well. Somewhere in here I posted a pic of me riding it in my first ever DH race. But the next one was a '99 Foes F1 Wet One. And god damn, that name said it all! The seals in the uppers had to be installed with silicone and every 5h ride time or so they suddenly blew out, dropping all the splash oil on the lowers and front brake - had a lot of fun moments on that fork.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Had a set on my GT Lobo.Helped to make you more of a passenger than a pilot if I recall...
LOL!

Still, at least your destination was met. In my experience with sram/avid/RS, the plane doesn't leave the ground for a week and only done after changing airlines. Lol!

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I share a bit of your experience. My first triple clamp was a Judy XL as well. Somewhere in here I posted a pic of me riding it in my first ever DH race. But the next one was a '99 Foes F1 Wet One. And god damn, that name said it all! The seals in the uppers had to be installed with silicone and every 5h ride time or so they suddenly blew out, dropping all the splash oil on the lowers and front brake - had a lot of fun moments on that fork.
A mate of mine had the Cannondale moto upside down fork. It had the same open bath rotor cooling technology that you speak of.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

View attachment 132246
Man that sucks about the Stratos, I'm not really one for having things that have no purpose but I would like to own a Stratos fork just to have something old and cool. I was looking at buying one but they they had closed up shop, everyone seemed to have a pretty fond memory of the Stratos gear.

So glad these are gone-

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
WhiteBrothers were also pioneers of that technology
Although (memory is flaky here) i think WB cunningly incorporated an internal cartridge that spat it's seals leaving you dampingless any brakeless all in the same run.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Did they not deliver after people gave them money?
Everyone was not "fond" of the Stratos gear is the point. Some of their stuff worked, they came up with the inertia valve (but failed to effectively protect the intellectual property). Other stuff was a massive failure, like the seals on the S7s. The crowns were "clamped on" the forks and were not condusive to lateral rigidity, despite the massive-sized structures. I had the damping glide ring break in the S8, although up to that it was decent, the glide-ring failure ruined the action though. The Expert shock was intriguing, but would only work on a few frames IME, the progressive nature of the air spring, coupled with the progressive coil shock, introduced way too much progression if attached to a bike that already had some. They ended up cloning avalanche shocks (DHS) in a last-ditch attempt at the end. Despite these gear issues, there was some good stuff, the company was mismanaged on an epic scale and ran into the ground by the owner. There's a huge thread on it in the archives. The memories of running the stratos gear are not all "fond".