Quantcast

whatever happened to...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
from what i've heard the biggest thing that hurt canfield was that they bet against carbon (and lost). their lack of social media presence certainly doesn't help.
They were threatened with Legal action over the Riot name. But you are correct that carbon put them way behind. I hope that this licensing will help them pull through and build bikes again (that don't flex)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They were threatened with Legal action over the Riot name. But you are correct that carbon put them way behind. I hope that this licensing will help them pull through and build bikes again (that don't flex)
that's the first i've heard about the legal action.

and yea, i'd venture a guess that the licensing is a move to build some financial assets to get things moving again. would be a shame to see them go under, they're one of the few small/grassroots companies still around from the early days of DH.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Do you know who was threatening?

I guess I'm waaaaaay behind on carbon. Oh well, I'm used to it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think carbon put them behind, but the bigger issue in the industry is that to compete at the highest level, you need to invest beaucoup bucks into molds, hydroforming, and etc., which means the little guys can't be as nimble. Canfield probably couldn't update their frames fast enough to keep up with ever changing standards, geometry, etc. And then when everything is done in china and takes a year or so to go from start to finish, you really need to be careful with your choices.

That's why the GG success story is so awesome. They kept everything local so they can change on the fly and keep releasing new frames at their whim. Now if this carbon thing is the real deal, it'll be pretty amazing.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Couldn't help but notice that thing has 18 bearings per bike, 12 x 21 x 5, which are extremely low in load rating...
18 bearings on a frame where they brag about their center of curvature (anti-squat instant center for Linkage users) that can be matched exactly with a classic single pivot.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Thankfully natural selection is doing the job. There's been a ton of injuries with those things.
Off topic but I've been wondering if you can legally just throw those things in a dumpster. If you leave shit on the sidewalk isn't it considered litter at some point?

How long can you leave something lying around before it's legally up for grabs?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I think carbon put them behind, but the bigger issue in the industry is that to compete at the highest level, you need to invest beaucoup bucks into molds, hydroforming, and etc., which means the little guys can't be as nimble. Canfield probably couldn't update their frames fast enough to keep up with ever changing standards, geometry, etc. And then when everything is done in china and takes a year or so to go from start to finish, you really need to be careful with your choices.

That's why the GG success story is so awesome. They kept everything local so they can change on the fly and keep releasing new frames at their whim. Now if this carbon thing is the real deal, it'll be pretty amazing.
Very true. They tossed the idea around for aluminum chainstay like GG

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
This is weird. does this mean those guys have left Trust just months after the big intro??

Or are they moonlighting?

Couldn't help but notice that thing has 18 bearings per bike, 12 x 21 x 5, which are extremely low in load rating...
That's 10 more than the Canfield Bikes

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
from what i've heard the biggest thing that hurt canfield was that they bet against carbon (and lost). their lack of social media presence certainly doesn't help.
Chris Canfield posted that they were never in trouble with carbon. And that the company is in the middle of changes and development. One of those changes is that he is stepping away from the company.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
How does a Spanish company work?

Repsol pay for everyone?

14% unemployment and I can't think of anything anyone buys from that country.

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
How does a Spanish company work?

Repsol pay for everyone?

14% unemployment and I can't think of anything anyone buys from that country.
Fruit lots of fruit, mainly shipped in to Northern Europe

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have seen quite a few Spanish products in Cuba. Primarily foodstuffs, personal hygiene, linens, cookware, cutlery and building supplies. Granted my exposure comes from vacations and interactions with old Cuban friends who we visit that live in Holguin, so admittedly a small sample size.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
this is not what happened to, but more of, surprised still in business
salsa bikes
whoooooooooooooo buys them?
and why?
That's a great question. We have a bunch of customers with them, but as to the "why," well that seems somewhat inexplicable.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's a great question. We have a bunch of customers with them, but as to the "why," well that seems somewhat inexplicable.
Do they even still make "mountain" bikes? I've thought of them as mostly doing gravel/touring bikes of late, and they seem perfectly good if you want something in that vein.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Do they even still make "mountain" bikes? I've thought of them as mostly doing gravel/touring bikes of late, and they seem perfectly good if you want something in that vein.
Interestingly, they do! I guess they're licensing split pivot from DW, and they're throwing out some Chinese made carbon bikes with split pivot on them. We had a customer just sell his Top Fuel 9.8 to get a salsa that was virtually identical, but slightly heavier with slightly worse components for slightly more money. We're still not sure why.