Quantcast

whatever happened to...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
brands come and go. some go out with a bang, some just disappear, others morph into something new. lots of this in the bike industry.

whatever happened to Nema Clothing? They were pretty popular for a while. Can't remember what happened to them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
whatever happened to...... using thrust bearings with coil springs? that was kind of a flash in the pan sort of thing. seemed like an OK idea, but then pretty much died out

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
whatever happened to...... using thrust bearings with coil springs? that was kind of a flash in the pan sort of thing. seemed like an OK idea, but then pretty much died out
I've tried that before and it made no perceivable difference and removed it. That's probably why it died. Lower friction shock bushings make a bigger difference (ie Igus vs DU).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've tried that before and it made no perceivable difference and removed it. That's probably why it died. Lower friction shock bushings make a bigger difference (ie Igus vs DU).
i kinda suspected placebo effect, it may *seem* like an improvement, but no real data to back it up

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Hopefully, we will never hear about the company selling vibration damping stickers based on quantum mechanics or other nonsense again.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Sunline components - I liked their half waffle grips and their handlebars were one of the few wide options at the time.

Kenda - After the Nevegal and SB8 on my trail bike tried killing me multiple times, I ditched those tires and never looked back. Do they still make crappy tires?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sunline components - I liked their half waffle grips and their handlebars were one of the few wide options at the time.
they still exist, but got out of MTB (back to just moto) and a google search indicates that were purchased by ONE industries back around 2010-2011

Kenda - After the Nevegal and SB8 on my trail bike tried killing me multiple times, I ditched those tires and never looked back. Do they still make crappy tires?
Kenda goes in the "somehow still around" thread.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
The big problem that Kenda will always have is that nobody will be willing to even CHANCE their tires after any experience with Nevegals.

So they could make the unicorn of all tires and nobody would ever know... :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Still using a Sunline stem on one of my bikes, bought for $32 from Chainlove 8 years ago.

It's 100mm, so probably unrideable despite the 1000's of miles I have on that bike :(

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Still using a Sunline stem on one of my bikes, bought for $32 from Chainlove 8 years ago.

It's 100mm, so probably unrideable despite the 1000's of miles I have on that bike :(
i've got 3 sunline stems (including the direct mount) and i wanna say 4 handlebars, 2 of which are flat bars. only 2 are still in use, one is on my trainer bike.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i make a point of dusting off the old steed at least once a year for some whistler laps; headed up for closing weekend. despite sporting some fairly tired dampers, and wee 26" hoops, the suspension platform still impresses, 11 years later (though reach is cramped by modern standards). a longer big(ger) wheeled iteration of this would just slay. alas...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I had some Nema Shorts which I loved, super heavy but lasted forever. Based on the first pair I bought two more and they were garbage, they changed the sizing(Inches got bigger) and started using weak materials. On one pair the stretch panel on the back was so long it would hook the nose of the saddle and try to end you, they also removed mesh pockets and used a solid type fabric which let sweat in bu t not out and my phone did not enjoy that.

I still have the carbon helmet coz they looked awesome, never used it as I am weak and no longer ride DH.

Dark Cycles, .243 Racing, 24 Bicycles, Dobermann, Stratos, I was going to say Straitline but they still seem to be going.

Does anyone know what happened to One Ghost? I seem to remember them having some really odd posts on their site, they promised a lot.
https://oneghost.weebly.com/bikes.html

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Tantrum cycles?
What happened?
Made a unique product, made a lot of noise... more than a few controversial public statements which should in the modern social media environment have assured them a massive following of mindless drones and bots.
But....... where are they now?
are they on track to become the North American Lahar?....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
He's still active, and didn't he sell his entire first batch and is getting another one going now? I'm pretty sure a few monkeys have ridden them and had good things to say. The same cannot be said for the kona coilair which I think was also his design, and was hands down the worst full suspension bike I've ridden short of a URT design.

Actually, the Marin DH bike a buddy got that had a 68 degree HA, a 15.3" BB, a super short front center, and a rear end flexier than a cirque du soleil contortionist was probably worse. Point is, the coilair was awful. I'm glad he's designing bikes that he gets to have a little more input on, so that if it sucks its on him and if its good than it wasn't fucked up by somebody else.

And kenda is still big in the low end OEM market, they make a ton of rubber for other companies. Fortunately their shit isn't coming on any high end bikes anymore. I think all the sun lite rubber parts are kenda, which is big in low end tire/tube products.

Here's a whatever happened company... Hayes. They put out the stroker lineup, all the companies stopped stocking them on their bike, nobody was buying them aftermarket, and they disappeared for what seemed like years, and then I just heard rumours of a new brake from them? Is that actually happening? Are they still in business?

And what happened to Foes? are they still going?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Does anyone know what happened to One Ghost? I seem to remember them having some really odd posts on their site, they promised a lot.
https://oneghost.weebly.com/bikes.html
I was interested in their DH bike back in 2014, but the guy was struggling with the business. The next thing I saw on FB was him asking for donations for his dog who needed to go to the vet. That was the end for me.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Why didn't the Tioga Comp 3 make it into big tire sizes?

Also, wheres the Big Cheese grips? That dual rubber compound with the hard stars was amazing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bell bottoms. Cool then not cool then cool again then not cool agaoin. JHFC make up your minds people.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Is ION still a thing? They products used to be crazy expensive yet still managed to be shit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here's a whatever happened company... Hayes. They put out the stroker lineup, all the companies stopped stocking them on their bike, nobody was buying them aftermarket, and they disappeared for what seemed like years, and then I just heard rumours of a new brake from them? Is that actually happening? Are they still in business?
hayes is part of HBG. umbrella company for hayes, Sun (ringle), Manitou, Answer, Wheelsmith.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Canfield brothers. I think they are done.
Are they really?
they always made really nice bikes. they (reluctantly i believe) offshored production in order to keep prices competitive, but i don't think they ever really took off the way they wanted despite this. pretty much all the bikes they still have listed on their website are on clearance. unless they're getting ready for a major relaunch, that's not a good sign.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
it amazes me they keep putting out bikes, but i can't say i've seen one in person in years. IIRC bikes is just a side business for the company. IIRC Brent is primarily involved in truck racing.
I think the Mutz and Mixer are the "lifeline" right now. There's a guy that has a pair of Mutzs around here and every time I see him out on the trail I laugh to myself a bit, maybe pushing around 40lbs of poor rolling rotating mass is "fun", but it's surely not fast. It's not optimal for the tight winter stuff and it's a bear in the summer. More of a novelty.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They basically admitted that the stuff they'd been making sucked, and said that they were going to go back to the drawing board and take their time getting a new brake out so that they could really nail it. The new brake hit the market recently and actually sounds really good on paper.

https://www.bikemag.com/eurobike-2018/eurobike-hayes-dominion-brake/

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

And what happened to Foes? are they still going?

Hayes got bought up by (or maybe they were the ones buying?) Answer, so now they're a conglomeration of "where are they now" companies, Hayes, Manitou, Answer, Ringle, and a couple others. They released a new brake a while ago, it got great reviews, but the only pair I've ever seen was on a Foes demo bike. Brent Foes is still buddies with one of the higher ups from Answer, and the Foes demo bikes are always DVO suspension and Hayes group for everything else.

Foes seems to be doing okay, I still see them on the trail every once in a while, more often then many other boutique brands, I think they're also selling a decent number of fatbikes. Their new Ridgeback looks interesting, I think I'm still going to buy buying a GG, but I want to at least give the Foes a test ride. I think the real killer for them has been the death of alloy DH bike demand at around the same time all the big names got their DH bikes sorted out, the DHS was their bread and butter. To a lesser extent the death of Sport Chalet has also hurt them they were selling Foes to fill the gap in their bike range due to their oddball deal with Santa Cruz. Sport Chalet seemed to sell a surprising number of FXRs, or at least they had different ones every time I went in there to buy fishing shit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hayes got bought up by (or maybe they were the ones buying?) Answer, so now they're a conglomeration of "where are they now" companies, Hayes, Manitou, Answer, Ringle, and a couple others. They released a new brake a while ago, it got great reviews, but the only pair I've ever seen was on a Foes demo bike. Brent Foes is still buddies with one of the higher ups from Answer, and the Foes demo bikes are always DVO suspension and Hayes group for everything else.

Foes seems to be doing okay, I still see them on the trail every once in a while, more often then many other boutique brands, I think they're also selling a decent number of fatbikes. Their new Ridgeback looks interesting, I think I'm still going to buy buying a GG, but I want to at least give the Foes a test ride. I think the real killer for them has been the death of alloy DH bike demand at around the same time all the big names got their DH bikes sorted out, the DHS was their bread and butter. To a lesser extent the death of Sport Chalet has also hurt them they were selling Foes to fill the gap in their bike range due to their oddball deal with Santa Cruz. Sport Chalet seemed to sell a surprising number of FXRs, or at least they had different ones every time I went in there to buy fishing shit.
Foes has always been more of a "west coast" brand as far as i can tell. only ever saw a handful of them out here