Quantcast

whatever happened to...

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Could not find the companies that you are surprised are still around thread, ty to dr Shady for reminding me about robot bike co:

Good one, I forgot about Esker. I still maintain Robot Bike would had made a better platform to showcase the pivot vomit:

7 pivots!!!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Whatever happened to my THE fender? Not sure but I found it in a crate of spray paint while cleaning my garage yesterday.
Well, Toby Henderson started Box Components so he's still kicking, but I'm surprised they don't have fenders any more what with the global enduroing takeover and all.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Well, Toby Henderson started Box Components so he's still kicking, but I'm surprised they don't have fenders any more what with the global enduroing takeover and all.
They covered that in the Vital Podcast with Toby himself. Apparently when he first brought them to market they sold like hotcakes, but shortly thereafter (next season I guess) a bunch of copycats popped up. Then they fell out of favour.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They covered that in the Vital Podcast with Toby himself. Apparently when he first brought them to market they sold like hotcakes, but shortly thereafter (next season I guess) a bunch of copycats popped up. Then they fell out of favour.
y'all missed the point. i know big T doesn't make fenders any more. The point is, I found my THE fender.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Whatever happened to Eastern Woods Research? Their website is from 2009 and it looks like Jay is a Physical Therapist now, but still shows he is doing EWR stuff on LinkedIn. I don't even know what made me think of them this weekend, but I really wanted one of their hardtails back in like...2009 or so. http://www.ewrbikes.com/

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Whatever happened to Eastern Woods Research? Their website is from 2009 and it looks like Jay is a Physical Therapist now, but still shows he is doing EWR stuff on LinkedIn. I don't even know what made me think of them this weekend, but I really wanted one of their hardtails back in like...2009 or so. http://www.ewrbikes.com/
As far as I know, it was a one time comeback for EWR fans. I don't think the business was truly restarted with the intent of coming back for the long term.

Here's what I got from him years ago (in a roundabout way).
Ken worked for Jay answering phones and stuff while he was going to school. Ken had an EWR bike.
-After Ken left, he sold his bike.
-Jay closed his shop.
-Years later, Ken found an EWR for sale on eBay and bought it. It was his old bike. He was ecstatic and called Jay. He pushed Jay to get back to making bikes.
Something like 20, 29" titanium hardtails were made for racers (on pre-order).
-Some steel hardtails were also made, but I don't think Jay went beyond that.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As far as I know, it was a one time comeback for EWR fans. I don't think the business was truly restarted with the intent of coming back for the long term.

Here's what I got from him years ago (in a roundabout way).
Ken worked for Jay answering phones and stuff while he was going to school. Ken had an EWR bike.
-After Ken left, he sold his bike.
-Jay closed his shop.
-Years later, Ken four d an EWR for sale on eBay and bought it. It was his old bike. He was ecstatic and called Jay. He pushed Jay to get back to making bikes.
Something like 20, 29" titanium hardtails were made for racers (on pre-order).
-Some steel hardtails were also made, but I don't think Jay went beyond that.
yea, from what I recall the last round of EWR frames were very limited, pre-order only type of deal.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Did some DH laps with him the other day so he's alive. Beats me why he's not online, I can only assume he's still upset I showed up for DH laps with a singlecrown.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Did some DH laps with him the other day so he's alive. Beats me why he's not online, I can only assume he's still upset I showed up for DH laps with a singlecrown.
@toodles, is Udi in engineering or research? Given his personality and knowledge I would be surprised if he turned out to be a stoner surfer type or a ninja turtle.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Dentalshima?
Excuse I haven't to my knowledge looked in a braking thread for quite some time.
If I'm thinking something along the lines of gold plated pistons pushing soft bristles that gently buff enamel coated rotors to bring your 8oz supercarbon bike to as stop silently and efficiently. Would that assumption be close?

Dentalshima?
Excuse I haven't to my knowledge looked in a braking thread for quite some time.
If I'm thinking something along the lines of gold plated pistons pushing soft bristles that gently buff enamel coated rotors to bring your 8oz supercarbon bike to as stop silently and efficiently. Would that assumption be close?
Still wouldn't satisfy the OCD component crowd.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles, is Udi in engineering or research? Given his personality and knowledge I would be surprised if he turned out to be a stoner surfer type or a ninja turtle.
Personality? hahahah. I dunno... enginerd of some type. All I know is he is always goddamn late for everything.

He should only be upset if you beat him to the bottom of teh hillz. :D
Unfortunately, he's actually a bloody good rider (down hills at least). If I ever beat him on a DH track on my Enduro bike, RM will be the first to know but I think Udi would probably make me go missing first....

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
fisher hubs out of new zealand... i think they were on cam cole's labar but they don't exist anymore.