Quantcast

whatever happened to...

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Everyone was not "fond" of the Stratos gear is the point. Some of their stuff worked, they came up with the inertia valve (but failed to effectively protect the intellectual property).
They didn't come up with the inertia valve. I was "partners" with the guy that did, Don Richardson, in the early 90's. We used it in a different form on Nissan GTP cars and Citroen Rally/Raid cars.

Mike/Stratos had a proper license for the inertia valve patent from Don. But a much larger company used a bogus patent to put Mike in court until he ran out of money, even though he was in the right.

This big company was later found out and "penalized" for their actions.

Too late for Mike, quality issues notwithstanding

Maybe this belongs in "What's wrong with the industry?"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They didn't come up with the inertia valve. I was "partners" with the guy that did, Don Richardson, in the early 90's. We used it in a different form on Nissan GTP cars and Citroen Rally/Raid cars.

Mike/Stratos had a proper license for the inertia valve patent from Don. But a much larger company used a bogus patent to put Mike in court until he ran out of money, even though he was in the right.

This big company was later found out and "penalized" for their actions.

Too late for Mike, quality issues notwithstanding

Maybe this belongs in "What's wrong with the industry?"
I remember hearing about that. Once i learned of that, it was the last time i bought a product from that "larger" company.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I remember hearing about that. Once i learned of that, it was the last time i bought a product from that "larger" company.
When they started actual bike sales with a "stolen" frame....
Did you expect them to get more ethical as they got bigger?
Fuck Sinyard and his acolytes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
was wondering what happened to Norbs... so I looked it up. He's on Evil now, whith Aggy and a few others that I think may have been searched for on this thread... Bubba Warren and Genovese.
upload_2019-2-8_11-59-10.png

what bikes am I looking at here?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Whatever happened to Pablo Tafoya? His last venture into suspension design was with Black Market and the Hammer Link IIRC... I'm asking because I was looking at BM's Enduro bike and found his posts here at the :monkey: from that time.
Yeah I was thinking of getting one of them until I saw his name. I still have to kick my Corsair to the side every now and again to access something that has fallen under the bench.

commencaldh

Jeremy Hottinger
Apr 26, 2015
whatever happened to that company who made custom bikes and had a bunch of disputes over ridemonkey, the name escapes me but I remember reading a thread about it on here

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
whatever happened to that company who made custom bikes and had a bunch of disputes over ridemonkey, the name escapes me but I remember reading a thread about it on here
He makes fixies I believe, that trend would surely be done by now so maybe he makes semi fat fixies now........?

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
sp apparently canfield bros have licensed their suspension design/tech (which they own the patent on) to another company. Not sure how to interpret what this means for the future of the canfield brand.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Introducing-Revel-Bikes,2580
I have no idea either, and only pure speculation to offer, but it seems Canfield very carefully cultivated a stellar customer service reputation over many years, and relatively recently stepped down from it.

Seems an ominous development and to my mind indicates major changes in progress. I"ve got a balance frame in the old parts bin, and think the rear end lateral stiffness and overall quality control is poor, with a design flaw at one of the lower pivot points, but that it is also a solid suspension design, and has an interesting take on geometry. I met Lance once on the chair lift, and hope whatever is happening, they do well personally.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
sp apparently canfield bros have licensed their suspension design/tech (which they own the patent on) to another company. Not sure how to interpret what this means for the future of the canfield brand.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-release/Introducing-Revel-Bikes,2580
I have no idea either, and only pure speculation to offer, but it seems Canfield very carefully cultivated a stellar customer service reputation over many years, and relatively recently stepped down from it.

Seems an ominous development and to my mind indicates major changes in progress. I"ve got a balance frame in the old parts bin, and think the rear end lateral stiffness and overall quality control is poor, with a design flaw at one of the lower pivot points, but that it is also a solid suspension design, and has an interesting take on geometry. I met Lance once on the chair lift, and hope whatever is happening, they do well personally.
If I'm not mistaken, at least three of those guys worked on/at Trust. With Weagle. Wasn't there a bit of a dust-up between Weagle and the brothers wrt to their system at one point?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

from what i've heard the biggest thing that hurt canfield was that they bet against carbon (and lost). their lack of social media presence certainly doesn't help.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
If I'm not mistaken, at least three of those guys worked on/at Trust. With Weagle. Wasn't there a bit of a dust-up between Weagle and the brothers wrt to their system at one point?
This is weird. does this mean those guys have left Trust just months after the big intro??

Or are they moonlighting?

Couldn't help but notice that thing has 18 bearings per bike, 12 x 21 x 5, which are extremely low in load rating...