Quantcast

What's a good inverted fork?

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Looking to you DH guru's again for advise and opinions. I want to get an inverted fork for my new build over the winter. Foes, Risse, White Bros, what else? Or should I just go with 888's, DH-40's, or RockShox World Cup's?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Holla,
Brian

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BKQuill said:
Or should I just go with 888's, DH-40's, or RockShox World Cup's?
Brian
It looks like you answered you own question. ;)

I have owned a Dorado, a Risse, and ridden Shivers,
and I have also owned 2 888's, 2 Boxxers, a Slider + etc...
I liked all the regular forks better. They are normally lighter and stiffer when compared to a inverted fork that is the same weight, and you don't have to deal with the crowns twisting on you in crashes.
People like to wax on and on about the differences, but for me I definitely like one more than the other. I know you want this as a race fork, and all the major players are making lightweight traditional forks now, Zoke, Fox, RS, and now Manitou with the Travis.
Just my opinion. :)

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
First i had a monster T, then i went inverted. I use to get soo pissed off at my risse champ for the crowns getting twisted - even in the smallest of crashes. Then i went back to the monster T. Then i tried another Legendary inverted fork - the Avy DHF. Again, the freeking thing would twist, but not as bad. The worst part was that the steertube on the avy was clearly undersized. I didnt figure this out until i had bought several stem designs trying to get more clamping force. Then i realised that these stems fit nice and tight on my brothers boxxer and yet the same stem was lose and sloppy on the Avy. I tried to talk to Craig about this but he basically called me a liar as if i were some pinkbike punk kid. I sold the fork immediatley for like $700. I would take the Avy rear shock off my bike if there was another hi-end 9x3 w/ remote.

Don't get an inverted fork.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Despite the bad experience of Jimmy Pop, I would suggest the Avalanche. The friends I have who ride the DHF version have not had any problems with the steer tube. I think it rides awesome - but then again, I am a dedicated fan of USD forks - so I am clearly biased.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I like the Shiver........only reason is because it is very easy to work on and very durable but the penalty is the weight.....IMO the extra pound is worth the simplicity of maintenance....

"Fork technology peaked with the 2002/3 Shiver." :)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
seismic said:
Despite the bad experience of Jimmy Pop, I would suggest the Avalanche. The friends I have who ride the DHF version have not had any problems with the steer tube. I think it rides awesome - but then again, I am a dedicated fan of USD forks - so I am clearly biased.
DHF is tall as hell......

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my whitebros dh2.0 has been a fantastic fork. great performance & tunability, decent weight (sub 8#) and stiffness; amazing reliability (3 years hard use with only bi-annual cleaning & lubing and one damper oil change - all original hardware & seals - everything done by myself with no special tools); and really nice build quality - ie, the cnc'd crowns are some of the nicest out there. good stuff.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are fancier options out there I guess, but I love my 888. Fairly light, plenty stiff, zero maintenance/reliability hassles, and not too pricey compared to some of your options.

But you'll need to say more about how big you are, how you ride, what bike it's for, etc.

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Jimmy_Pop said:
The worst part was that the steertube on the avy was clearly undersized. I didnt figure this out until i had bought several stem designs trying to get more clamping force.
I noticed that on my DHF Ti, too!

Have used a RaceFace Diabolus stem, now a Thomson x4. I use the small Park torque wrench, and have to over tighten the stem and crown bolts a little bit to stop the thing twist easily. So far, no further problems... Nice performing fork, though!

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
RogerH said:
I noticed that on my DHF Ti, too!

Have used a RaceFace Diabolus stem, now a Thomson x4. I use the small Park torque wrench, and have to over tighten the stem and crown bolts a little bit to stop the thing twist easily. So far, no further problems... Nice performing fork, though!
Never have had that problem with my DHF-Ti. The only time I have gotten the stem to budge (X4 at labled torque) was a very-low speed crash that basically had all of my weight twisting on the bars. Even then it did not move much.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Cant Climb said:
as of about 2 months ago when i looked at one and saw that it was tall as hell......
did the owner had a short stack height headtube and still choose to run the stanchions tubes as tall as possible within the crowns ?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Jimmy_Pop said:
did the owner had a short stack height headtube and still choose to run the stanchions tubes as tall as possible within the crowns ?
The guy had it set up low as possible......a very seasoned rider, he got the fork in a trade to try it............didn't like the height, loved the action of the fork.........he ending up selling it.....

"An inch is a foot in downhill racing."

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
AR_ said:
Never been more impressed with a Upside down fork as i was when i tryed the Avy MTN8. Close second was the DHF-Ti. They are just *that* good. Definately the DHF over the MTN though. Much more useable.

I`ll second that :)

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
bizutch said:
amazing...it's like all 3 of the people in the world who own Avalanches descended on this thread like locust... :D
Since there are so few of us it's easier to get all in the same place at the same time. :cool:

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
bizutch said:
Brian...why don't you email me to save the embarrassment of asking these silly questions. You can't get Minnarr's fork so forget it.
LOL...that knobjob knows I have a Shiver yet he comes here and newbs out on everybody.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
foes is possibly the gretest fork i have ever used/seen, but it is (i heard) hard to work on and is expensive.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Cant Climb said:
The guy had it set up low as possible......a very seasoned rider, he got the fork in a trade to try it............didn't like the height, loved the action of the fork.........he ending up selling it.....

"An inch is a foot in downhill racing."
Maybe he & you are used to 7" forks?