Quantcast

What's a good off-season program.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
What's a good off-season (Winter) exercose program for MTB? I've been Spinning a few times a week with a little weight training and of course I've been hitting the trials every weekend even in the cold. I want to stay in good condition for when Summer hits.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Scotty
What's a good off-season (Winter) exercose program for MTB? I've been Spinning a few times a week with a little weight training and of course I've been hitting the trials every weekend even in the cold. I want to stay in good condition for when Summer hits.
Just my opinion here: I'd suggest spinning a couple times a week, and weight training a few times a week. Sounds like you've got it all covered. :thumb:

If you weight train with your legs, try to plan your workouts so you don't do cardio (spinning or riding) the day after your legs workout. You legs should get at least the next day off. I work legs on Saturday, and rest them Sunday and Monday.

R

RaytheHammer

Yeah that DOES sound like your into a pretty solid training regimen. What I do to avoid burnout (which STILL occurs) is cross train by substituting some of my rides with running or Xcountry skiing when weather permits. As the season gets closer I start eliminating the cross training and focus more on the bike workouts.

Originally posted by RaytheHammer
Yeah that DOES sound like your into a pretty solid training regimen. What I do to avoid burnout (which STILL occurs) is cross train by substituting some of my rides with running or Xcountry skiing when weather permits. As the season gets closer I start eliminating the cross training and focus more on the bike workouts.

Know your goals when spinning! Are you trying to increase speed and strength or cardio endurance?

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I are baboon:

You're so right about training the legs. I only did a few squats last night with very light weight because I will be Spinning on Friday and riding this weekend.

I guess I am Spinning for Strength and Speed a llittle more that Endurance since I try to build my Endurance while I am on the trails. I guess I would say I do Spinning for both.

From The Heart Rate Monitor Book by Sally Edwards:

"If your goal is to train for strength and power, you will change your training intensity using resistance and gearing. If your goal is to train for improved leg speed and suppleness, your heart rate numbers will be based on cadence or spinning."

So with this in mind, training in zones up to and including 90% of your max heart rate leads to improved sports and fitness performance.

Sample Workout - Tail Wind: 62 minutes

Elapsed Time Notes ZONE Duration
(minutes) (minutes)
0-5 Warm up bottom Z2 2 5
5-7 add 10bpm cadence 2 2
7-11 add 5bpm each min 3 4
11-15 sustain hr at botttom z4 4 4
15-17 mid-point z3 3 2
17-22 max hr-30bpm 4 5
22-24 mid-point z3 3 2
24-29 mid-point z4 4 5
29-31 bottom z4 4 2
31-36 top z4 4 5
36-38 max hr-50bpm 3 2
38-43 add 25bpm 4 5
43-45 bottom z3 3 2
45-50 bottom z3, add 5 each min 3 5
50-56 add 10bpm 4 1
56-57 top z4 4 1
57-58 bottom z4 4 1
58-59 bottom z3 3 1
59-62 bottom z2 2 3

I think you have to be rather FIT to try this one to begin with!

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
That looks like a tough one. I'll have to ask one of the instructors to try it in an advanced class. Each instructor is different so depending on what day I go depends on the type of training. I think they are going to start having classes specificly for people with heart rate monitors which I would like.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Scotty
I are baboon:

You're so right about training the legs. I only did a few squats last night with very light weight because I will be Spinning on Friday and riding this weekend.
Squats are the single best exercise you can do for your body. No workout progam is complete without them. My hip has been bothering me, so I have been limited to doing them on a Smith machine. But as soon as I feel 100%, it's back to the squat rack!

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Originally posted by dirtgirl

What's the best type of workout to increase speed? I'm so slow sometimes that I swear a few hikers have almost run me off the trail. :o:
Girl, I'm with ya - I actually got passed by a squirrel recently, IN A RACE:eek:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I could tell ya, but I'd hafta kill ya!

j/k

It's the Heart Rate Monitor Book for Indoor/Outdoor Cyclists by Sally Edwards.

GREAT INTRO to HRMS etc.

(MBC)
MBC - have you checked out the CD that comes with it?

Originally posted by tammy

Girl, I'm with ya - I actually got passed by a squirrel recently, IN A RACE:eek:
:D

This is no joke. I bruised my rib last weekend on a ride and while slowly dejectedly pedaling back to my car, there is one hill at the end that about killed me. Some women were hiking along and saw me in my misery. I passed so slowly that one of them actually came over and gave me a boost from behind! I think I left my ego at the bottom of the hill...

:o: