Quantcast

Whats a good offer?

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Originally, I didn't want to do a frame up build, mainly because it will be cheaper to buy a complete rig used, and of course, I'm cheap. But thinking now it may work out better in the sense of balancing my money over 6 months, get more of the components that I want, while camouflaging my purchase. Well, I think I found a viable candidate, a 2009 Session w/2 season. It looks to be in great shape and I think the seller is willing negociate. I have an offer in my head, but I want to make sure I'm thinking right. Here is a Pic and you be the judge.

By sportrider at 2012-01-13

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm finding more and more that buying a used bike can go two ways...it's either great, and you pick up a fantastic bike for little money, or horrible and you end up replacing half the parts. I think buying frame only is the way to go, even if you piecemeal used parts to finish it. Then you'll at least have the bike you want at the end of it all. See my threads on crappy tires and brakes. I also replaced the handlebars and saddle, and pedals, on a bike I just bought...oh well.

As for an offer, see what pinkbike holds for those frames, and then +/- on condition. If there are any dents whatsoever, lowball him/her. From what I recall, those frames hold their value extremely well.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
I'd never buy a used soda can.
I know that the down tube design allow for a lot of dent, but I never heard of bad structural integrity.

I'm finding more and more that buying a used bike can go two ways...it's either great, and you pick up a fantastic bike for little money, or horrible and you end up replacing half the parts. I think buying frame only is the way to go, even if you piecemeal used parts to finish it. Then you'll at least have the bike you want at the end of it all. See my threads on crappy tires and brakes. I also replaced the handlebars and saddle, and pedals, on a bike I just bought...oh well.

As for an offer, see what pinkbike holds for those frames, and then +/- on condition. If there are any dents whatsoever, lowball him/her. From what I recall, those frames hold their value extremely well.
That is my thought also. Everything after 09 came with the typical and complete manufacture spec downgrade. from what seller saids, it has no dents and has a carbon protector the runs the length of the down tube. I don't know now, about this particular model. This is the first negitive backlash I've gotten about the Session frame.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Round here people are breaking them like crackers.
WOw! If you have or even know someone who has broke a Trek Session , pleased chime in pics would be nice. Nothing comes up in any google search other then dents in the down tube. If this problem is so wide spread and considering this is a 09, there should be mountains of posts about broken 09 frames. I'm not finding the hundreds of complaints from unsatisfied costumers.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
double edit: woops, got sucked into troll bait. Something constructive:

I've ragged on mine pretty hard and its held up well. No dents or cracks. I'd say 7-800. Maybe 8-9 with all the extra parts would be fair. Used frame with older suspension hardware and all.

Last edited:

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks William42, there is plenty of time to find the right Session and unless a M9 drops into my lap for a can't say no deal, it's going to be a Session. I didn't think anyone was going to produce any evidence of their claims of frames breaking.

Aug 4, 2008
WOw! If you have or even know someone who has broke a Trek Session , pleased chime in pics would be nice. Nothing comes up in any google search other then dents in the down tube. If this problem is so wide spread and considering this is a 09, there should be mountains of posts about broken 09 frames. I'm not finding the hundreds of complaints from unsatisfied costumers.
Sorry, no pictures to prove it. Since the guys concerned are sponsored and too professional to post pics on the interwebz. So take it at face value.

Drth Vadr

Monkey
Oct 5, 2011
Sorry, no pictures to prove it. Since the guys concerned are sponsored and too professional to post pics on the interwebz. So take it at face value.
I did find a few incidents were pros had broke session frames hucking 60ft gaps and riding in Rampage type events. I don't think I can fly.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i have a couple buddies (who usually get podium spots in pro/cat1) who got them on deals when they first came out and all of them have broken a chainstay or two. but nobody complained either, because they all got replacements and trek/lbs took care of them. its a race frame, they all will break eventually.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
i have a couple buddies (who usually get podium spots in pro/cat1) who got them on deals when they first came out and all of them have broken a chainstay or two. but nobody complained either, because they all got replacements and trek/lbs took care of them. its a race frame, they all will break eventually.
same, i've seen a few chainstays break but they got fast replacements...2 or 3 days out tops. Trek did a good job. same with the newer glorys, the first year i saw 1 or 2 crack. not since the first year though

Aug 4, 2008
I did find a few incidents were pros had broke session frames hucking 60ft gaps and riding in Rampage type events. I don't think I can fly.
Way to spin it the way it wasn't said.

Considering that I am not the only guy around here who knows guys who broke more than one of these frames, but kept their mouths shut due to excellent CS on part of Trek and its distributors (and due to obligations towards ones sponsors).

I would be very weary of buying a 2nd hand frame of this kind for a too high price, since you know a used frame buyer neither has warranty neither a bro' deal with the Trek and its distributors. There's a discrepancy between the public image and the reality in the case of Trek Session frames. Me personally I would never own a Session (ALU at least) frame without warranty sorted. Thats all I wanted to point out.

Edit:
All being said, this frame you posted seems as an excellent condition and was probably not ridden much. I would offer a price about 20-30% bellow the rate of competitive frames (V10, Intense,...) of same condition and age. All due to the inherent risk you are exposing yourself to. If you have a good local Trek distributor I wouldn't worry too much. I had local Specialized distributor replace a chainstay for a 2001 Bighit in 2006 free of charge. Just consider this information and use it to your own advantage.

Last edited: