Quantcast

What's a monkey to do...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So I have a limited amount of funds available to me, in the range of a thousand dollars. I have three options in my mind...My first is a Titus Moto-Lite for a grand to replace my corroding temporary magnesium frame as my XC bike. My second is to find an FS XC frame for around 400 bucks, and then pickup something FR/DHey (I've been eyeing Zark's SGS...), as I need a biggerish bike. My third is to screw getting a new XC frame, hope the mag frame lasts, and dump the 1000 into a nicer DH/FR bike (I'm thinking Saber...mmm...). I'm too poor. :(

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
id say if you dh a lot get a dh bike.... but you should spend decent money on it... personally i would get the moto-lite and have an awesome do everything bike...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was that age I had a $200 Mongoose that I had to eat the generic brand Ramen to save up for and was damn glad to have it.

Back then all hill went up and it never got warmer than -10 or below 110 degrees.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
When I was that age I had a $200 Mongoose that I had to eat the generic brand Ramen to save up for and was damn glad to have it.

Back then all hill went up and it never got warmer than -10 or below 110 degrees.
Hell, I didn't even *have* a bike at that age. And I was still eating the generic brand ramen. :dead:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Westy said:

LOL. And you had to walk to school in 6 feet of snow ;)

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Westy said:

You think you had it tough....We ate rocks, and were glad to have them. None of that fancy store bought food. And my bike was a Suzuki BMX bike, it had to last through high school.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TreeSaw said:
LOL. And you had to walk to school in 6 feet of snow ;)
And the wind was blowing so hard that every time you took a step, you were blown back 2 steps.

When you turned around to go home, that was how you got to school.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
GumbaFish said:
Oh yeah don't get me started on my walk to school uphill both ways in 8 feet of snow with no shoes.
School, what a luxury. I had to work in a coal mine.

Actually I do know a few people that did have to work in a coal mine instead of going to school, yikes.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
School, what a luxury. I had to work in a coal mine.

Actually I do know a few people that did have to work in a coal mine instead of going to school, yikes.
Coal mine? Talk about cushy. It's usually much warmer there underground in the winter. I had to run a gristmill along with my sister after our mule died. Summer and winter. I would've *killed* to be able to work in a coal mine.

:D

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Echo said:
And the wind was blowing so hard that every time you took a step, you were blown back 2 steps.

When you turned around to go home, that was how you got to school.
LOL - never heard that one before... pure gold!

Blue - get the heavy duty frame...

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Westy you are right, I had it easy. I was able to get some of that there fancy book lernin' instead of mining coal. I even ate food instead of rocks.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
johnbryanpeters said:
Save your money. Use it when you actually need something.
The only thing I need right now is college, and that's all paid for. I really don't know what I'd need a thousand bucks for in the near future, moreso than a bike (I have a car, but I don't need it) I have been saving it, for this expressed purpose...I'm leaning very much so to the bigger bike/crappier frame option...it also seems I may be getting a large check from my parents in the very near future. Tehehehe. That would up things a bit.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
BurlyShirley said:
Why dont you just buy a heckler and have ONE bike?
Because it's a pain in the ass to race XC/24 Hour on a Heckler, otherwise I would. I do know one guy that does, but the only reason is because he weighs in at something like 240#.

J

JRB

You can buy my 04 Dakar XC frame from me. It's a 19" with brand new seat stays and chain stays. Not to spam, but I am getting rid of it.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

sirknight6 said:
Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Classic.