Quantcast

What's considered a "Power Tie"

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've been told that I HAVE to get a dark red/maroon tie. BUt it has always been my opinion that the man makes the suit and not the other way around. any ideas?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well if your tie has little clouds or cartoon characters on it or something, no amount of manliness is going to overcome that, so there is a bit of truth in the "power tie" thing. Look up pics of Dick Cheney. He always has on a power tie.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I own a tie... it has little bicycles all over it. It's packed away in storage somewhere.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Stick it to the man: Get a tie, but not a red one. Wear it on yer thang.

Don't wear nuttin else :D

Now THAT'S a power tie.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Craw said:
All you need to know about power ties, power suits, power anything should come from Gordon Gekko.
Mmm, yeah. . . I'm gonna have to go w/Darryl Hannah in the limo on that one ;)

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
RED is the only color for a "Power Tie" with a lightly starched white tab-collar shirt and dark blue, grey or black suit with black shoes with a leather sole.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
johnbryanpeters said:
A goodly length of galvanized chain fastened at the neck with a chromed padlock would do the trick nicely.

J
That would be the Sid Vicious Power Tie.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
In a given week, I meet with developers and city officials including Mayors and Council members. Red, maroon or anything dark reddish is the whip to crack attention and respect. I always wear red with lil dots or textured patterns each time I present projects before the commission or council.
Also...
I love going to the coffee shop and get treated differently.

1. Typical day in civilian clothes:

Coffee Girl -What's up dude! Wha-can-I get for ya?

2. Day in work clothes (especially when I have to wear tie)

Coffee Girl -Goooooood morning, sir. What can I get for you today?

I love my work.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I hate going to meetings and such where everybody is wearing "power suits" and such. If you've ever been in a meeting with a bunch of salespeople, you know what I'm talking about.

Orven: I love wearing a suit, having people say "sir" and crap like that, only to respond with, "yeah, whatever, f' it, dude, bro..." There's nothing like a guy in a suit that doesn't give a s___.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
reflux said:
I hate going to meetings and such where everybody is wearing "power suits" and such. If you've ever been in a meeting with a bunch of salespeople, you know what I'm talking about.

Orven: I love wearing a suit, having people say "sir" and crap like that, only to respond with, "yeah, whatever, f' it, dude, bro..." There's nothing like a guy in a suit that doesn't give a s___.
Weeerd.

Note: I am a student. I rarely wear suits. But doing that is definitly the mark of a baller.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Dog Welder said:
The tie is for an interview for a job that if I get I'll never have to wear a suit ever again.
"This ring is for my horny girlfriend who if I marry I'll never have to buy nice things to get sex ever again."

Seriously, though: good luck dude. Don't forget to mirror and "yes, and."

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
narlus said:
worst look ever...white collar and cuffs on a colored shirt.

'fess up monkeys. who's got this ghoul hanging in their closet?
Not I... I have 1 suit... and it goes like this. Very nice Blue Blazer, Quality half silk half cotton brown/tan slacks, cream colored silk mofokin shirt, and a Jerry Garcia tie (navy, cream and tan/brown)... aww jeah.

But I will never have the white cuff, white collar, red tie combo. What if I were to fall? I could cut myself across the jugular with those damn collars.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
Not I... I have 1 suit... and it goes like this. Very nice Blue Blazer, Quality half silk half cotton brown/tan slacks, cream colored silk mofokin shirt, and a Jerry Garcia tie (navy, cream and tan/brown)... aww jeah.
No wonder you score all the supermodels. Are you sure you're not Ralph Lauren???

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I agree with Narlus on Brooks Brothers. They make clothes with the executive in mind. I also hate colored shirts with a white collar and cuffs. That is PURELY an accountant's look. I also find plain white dress shirts boring and they don't look good against white skin. I prefer colored shirts, both solids and patterns.

I also agree with Orven on the way you get treated differently when you wear a suit. I own four suit but usually wear dress pants, dress shirts, and ties to work. Maybe once a week I'll dress down into khakis.

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
I agree with Narlus on Brooks Brothers. They make clothes with the executive in mind. I also hate colored shirts with a white collar and cuffs. That is PURELY an accountant's look. I also find plain white dress shirts boring and they don't look good against white skin. I prefer colored shirts, both solids and patterns.

I also agree with Orven on the way you get treated differently when you wear a suit. I own four suit but usually wear dress pants, dress shirts, and ties to work. Maybe once a week I'll dress down into khakis.
Did you learn that guys name yet??? ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
I own four suit but usually wear dress pants, dress shirts, and ties to work. Maybe once a week I'll dress down into khakis.
my thoughts on that is that it's not any different if you wear a suit; the only difference is that the pants match the jacket.

i don't mind wearing suits and the like, but i never have to do it for work (unless the FDA is in and i am going to meet w/ them).

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
No, and it was a woman. I'll try to sneak a glance at her ID badge next time I see her. :)
Ah hah - I see. Don't gawk to do so or you'll end up in HR. :nope:

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
worst look ever...white collar and cuffs on a colored shirt.

'fess up monkeys. who's got this ghoul hanging in their closet?
Not since '88. :)

There are a lot of people I see at the Pentagon that still sport that look. Most of them also have the slicked-back-wet-look hair too. :blah: