Quantcast

What's considered a "Power Tie"

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
Dog Welder said:
The tie is for an interview for a job that if I get I'll never have to wear a suit ever again.
what color suit do you have?

here are some ideas...if it's dark blue you can go with a dark blue shirt and a one shade lighter solid color blue tie with black shoes. its a very clean crisp monochromatic look.

if you have a dark grey suit you can go with a white shirt or a lighter grey shirt with a darker grey solid color tie.

a black suit will look good with a white shirt and a solid red tie like i had said earlier or you can go with a solid silver or gold colored tie and it still looks serious.

avoid the stripes or pastel colors and no loony toon ties!!!

it's pretty clear that many of the folks on here don't wear a suit and tie on a regular basis and if you only need to get a GOOD suit for a job interview i would suggest saving your $$$ for bike stuff and steer clear of the big stores.

I've bought two suits from the http://www.menswearhouse.com and i would put them up with almost any other suit i got that costs 3 times as much.

anyway good luck

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
Just another point to make. If your going to an interview at a company that is Business Casual, and your wearing a suit. It could look like you didn't make any effort to find out what the company is about, how they dress, etc. On the flip side of that coin, I'd still be some what leaning towards a suit because of the nature of the meeting. I wouldn't go with the Regis look though. I would stick to traditional. What's kind of company are you interviewing with?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
narlus said:
i think that regardless of what normally is worn at a company, you should dress more formally for an interview.
most def. wasn't the trend a few years back to really dress down? whatever it was, i've been hearing (like right now) that it's best dress up for interviews and such.

i'm sorry i can't be of much help, i'm really anti-power suits. i've always been a fan of grey suits for some reason. best of luck on the interview.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
I agree with Narlus on Brooks Brothers. They make clothes with the executive in mind. I also hate colored shirts with a white collar and cuffs. That is PURELY an accountant's look.

Hey hey hey... That is a Mafioso look not an accountant's!

I am an accountant btw and I do not own ANY colored shirts with white collars and cuffs. I however own at least 5 plain white button down shirts. (thank you 3 years at Enterprise Rent-A-Car)

Hello Kitty said:
I've bought two suits from the http://www.menswearhouse.com and i would put them up with almost any other suit i got that costs 3 times as much.

anyway good luck

Men's warehouse is very reasonable, it isn't top shelf stuff, but just like Hello Kitty said you can do yourself very well.

If you are going on an interview do yourself a favor and go with a dark suit and a WHITE shirt and a coordinated tie (red, maroon, very little pattern etc). Dont forget a plain white undershirt! Your favorite biking T underneath will NOT DO! If wherever you are going is a professional place you are NOT going to turn anyone off by being traditionally conservative. The last thing you want to do is try to be trendy and set off any kind of red flag by your interviewer. IE... "that guy was a good candidate but what the heck was he trying to do with the Regis Philbin look/that crazy tie etc."

Suck it up and be conservative for the day.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
narlus said:
i think that regardless of what normally is worn at a company, you should dress more formally for an interview.
I agree to an extent in most cases. That's why I said what I did. I went on an interview once with a smaller IT/dot com company. I was wearing a suit, and I felt a little awkward because everyone else was not, and they pointed it out. Just sharing possibilities.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Orven said:
In a given week, I meet with developers and city officials including Mayors and Council members. Red, maroon or anything dark reddish is the whip to crack attention and respect. I always wear red with lil dots or textured patterns each time I present projects before the commission or council.
Also...
I love going to the coffee shop and get treated differently.

1. Typical day in civilian clothes:

Coffee Girl -What's up dude! Wha-can-I get for ya?

2. Day in work clothes (especially when I have to wear tie)

Coffee Girl -Goooooood morning, sir. What can I get for you today?

I love my work.
ORVEN...

Of course, if you took your goggles off for once, you'd get even MORE respect.
But that would be so un-orven of you.
;)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Dog Welder said:
The tie is for an interview for a job that if I get I'll never have to wear a suit ever again.
SWWEEEET...

I have one of those jobs. We're a fortune 500 company and the CEO wears knit polo shirts and kaki's every day.
Gawd I love it.
I go into Starbucks and get the "look" from the guys in their shirts and ties, yet I could probably OWN3D them.

J

JRB

If this was golgi writing this said:
I was wearing a slut, and I felt a little awkward because everyone else was not, and they pointed it out.
and then the sink ended up broken. :D

J

JRB

-BB- said:
SWWEEEET...

I have one of those jobs. We're a fortune 500 company and the CEO wears knit polo shirts and kaki's every day.
Gawd I love it.
I go into Starbucks and get the "look" from the guys in their shirts and ties, yet I could probably OWN3D them.
My last job you couldn't wear a polo shirt because of the knit collar. Of course, 99.03849% of the world is smarter than those people, so it was mostly an ego thing there. The CEO at that place fired some execs one time, supposedly because they wore pink or pastel shirts and ties. He was a real tool.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
JSB said:
I agree to an extent in most cases. That's why I said what I did. I went on an interview once with a smaller IT/dot com company. I was wearing a suit, and I felt a little awkward because everyone else was not, and they pointed it out. Just sharing possibilities.
I went on a job interview a few years ago at an ISP in town and was interviewed by a friggin' *WIZARD*! :eek:

He had a cloak on and was carrying a staff! WTF? :confused:

Weirdest interview *ever*. I'm pretty sure they didn't hire me because I told 'em I didn't play Dungeons and Dragons anymore.......... :D

-S.S.-

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Man, the noose.....who invented that thing.......be your own boss if only for the fact that only marriage will ever force you to ever strangle yourself again. Hideous garments.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Weirdest interview *ever*. I'm pretty sure they didn't hire me because I told 'em I didn't play Dungeons and Dragons anymore.......... :D

-S.S.-
Bwahahahahahaha

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bigginsis said:
ahahahaha! i was waiting for someone to say that and i just KNEW it would be you!!

cornflower blue...

oh and BTW, ties made by Brooks Brothers are overpriced and cheaply made. go to belks.

can iget my desktop icon in cornflower blue?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
agreed. i've gone through the grand total of two job/internship interviews in my life now and both times i was more dressed up than the people working there and interviewing me. once you get the job you can relax -- at palm i'd wear a t-shirt, baggy biking shorts, and sidis at least half of the week :D . at the other job i still had to wear a suit, but at least i could do pretty much whatever i wanted to when not at the "main office" (which was all of 10 people, heh).

oh, and since i'm lazy, inexperienced, somewhat cheap, and not very discerning i just bought all my junk at the men's wearhouse, like hello kitty. seemed to work out fine.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
JSB said:
I used to work for a small software startup company and although I could wear my pj's into to work if I wanted, I always thought it nice when people dressed up/in a suit for an interview. Granted that wouldn't make me want to hire them over the person in the jeans and nice shirt, but still makes a good impression (one person looked as if they hadn't showered in about a week and that did put me off...hehe).

I'd say go to Mens Warehouse. Most guys I know have had good luck there and they have reasonable prices, especially if it's not something you'll most likely wear again. Solid or understated patterns are probably best if it's a slightly more conservative company....if they aren't as conservative and you want to wear a suit then I say you could go for a slightly louder pattern so long as it's not Mickey Mouse or dancing elves or something crazy like that!

Good luck on the interview!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Megan Black said:
you need a piano key neck tie, invented by this guy...http://www.theboxset.com/review.php?id=46
Something from the Derelicte collection might be more appropriate in this instance.

Paul, if I'm not mistaken, this will be for an emergency response type job, yes? In which case, I wouldn't sweat the dress code too much. I doubt spending a lot of money will help your chances, although if you look like a tool somehow, it might count against you. Always helps to look good and it's always nice to have a good suit in the closet, so just take your jacket and shirt to Nordstrom or someplace and have them pick out a tie for you in the $30-50 range.