Quantcast

What's in Sven's Backpack

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I've got a pretty sweet camera phone, I should let sven now. Could save him a lot of effort lugging all this 'pro' equipment round

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sven must be ripped carrying that gear around. like Jersey shore, fist pumping ripped.

are the marshals really that bad that he needs a whistle and noise maker?

awesome article

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Thats alot of gear that gets stuffed into that pack. Where's his sherpa's pack that holds the beer and t/p for those long days on the course, that has to be at least a 50lb'er. hehe

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
What's in DonD... I mean Sven's back pack?

...pssshhh - a 6 pack of STELLA. Duh.

LoL.

To answer a previous pondering about Sven's physical condition: I met him at the Open last year and judging by the hand shake and footage I've seen of him racing from the Honda-Turner years... I'm pretty sure he could rip off your head and sh*t down your neck* before you knew what hit you.

i.e. - the man is strong.

:D

*maybe not with the efficiency of Kovarik or Rennie but STILL...

Last edited:

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
I've got a pretty sweet camera phone, I should let sven now. Could save him a lot of effort lugging all this 'pro' equipment round
wow man youre so funny it hurts, seriously, i was laughing so much i forgot to punch you in the mouth.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Awesome to see what the big boys carry. Cheers Sven.

You'd be surprised what will fit in one of those bags. I have one (f.stop's Tilopa) and the amount that can fit in there is amazing. What else is amazing is that airlines will actually let you get on board with it! You have to make it look light, but the size of the bag is what usually counts, so you're laughing.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I like it when Sven pins it on an all mountain bike on the DH trails with that pack on. He has to be the fastest photog with gear on I have seen. Christophe Margot comes in a close second. Cool feature Sven!

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
^yeah I was marshalling at Crankworx when I rider with a massive backpack and a race plate came down and the dude hopped off and started taking photos.

I was a bit confused at first but had a good chat and worked out who he was. He's a really nice fella.

dondon

Monkey
Loaded length ways in the overhead no worries. Computer and drives in a different bag.
I try not ride with it fully loaded, when shooting with a bike, then it gets lightened up to a feathery 30lbs. Keeps the HA nice and slack. Ive had a few riders pull off course @ CWX Garbonza thinking i was a racer wanting to pass, when i was just making my way down the course.

Attachments

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I saw Damian Breach go OTB with a semi-load backpack at Whiteface a couple of summers ago. Once he started over that heavy bag flipped him quick.

dondon

Monkey
how much of a PITA is it when security asks you to take your stuff out?
i only get asked to unpack about 1 out of 5 times. Even then its just a minor sniff with the bomb residue swab. But after the latest attempts i doubt i can carry on traveling like this.
Profro, Damian should drink some more of your moonshine and maybe he will be able to cope better. Works for me.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I tried, i think i was almost hauled off to jail just for asking!
Can't you ask a friendly doctor instead of an unfrienly airport cop? ;) Or is the x-ray dosage different?

Also what's so damn dangerous in seeing a photo of your own bag? Seriously airport paranoia gets funny.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I tried, i think i was almost hauled off to jail just for asking!
when you fly into Newark, NJ for the US Open, you should be able to. security at the xray machines is a joke. :D

Also what's so damn dangerous in seeing a photo of your own bag? Seriously airport paranoia gets funny.
because it shows what will and wont show up on xray.
i think its a pretty good rule. i dont want someone seeing what they can or cant sneak aboard a plane

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
because it shows what will and wont show up on xray.
i think its a pretty good rule. i dont want someone seeing what they can or cant sneak aboard a plane
Looking at the amount of data on the new full body scanners that were to be on airports I doubt fiding data on what doesn't show on xray requires a rocket scientist anyway.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
He has a fair amount of stuff in the bag!
It sucks carrying a heavy bag down steep trails that are like 2000 feet or so. Knees sometimes hurt afterward. I saw a photog at Hangtown last season with a Nikon D3 and a 200 F2 in one hand and a D3X and a 300 F2.8 in the other! He was old looked like he was hurting and he tells me this is all I ever bring!
I'm like sweet you have a new Honda in each hand. Adds up fast.....

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
because it shows what will and wont show up on xray.i think its a pretty good rule. i dont want someone seeing what they can or cant sneak aboard a plane
I've always wondered about that. what if you stored a gun vertically in a bag, so that the profile wouldn't show up on the scanner (assuming they scan vertically) it would theoretically just be a rectangle, which could be a million other things in a bag.

Any TSA employees here care to answer?

-KT

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Looking at the amount of data on the new full body scanners that were to be on airports I doubt fiding data on what doesn't show on xray requires a rocket scientist anyway.
The xray machines at airports offer different levels of visibility, as well as diff setting for different densities of objects (the diff colors you can see them switch between). They don't want you know what and where certain objects and materials show up as.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I've always wondered about that. what if you stored a gun vertically in a bag, so that the profile wouldn't show up on the scanner (assuming they scan vertically) it would theoretically just be a rectangle, which could be a million other things in a bag.

Any TSA employees here care to answer?

-KT
They would switch density levels and see the spring mechanism, the firing pin etc as well as a bit old 9mm void down the middle. ;)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They would switch density levels and see the spring mechanism, the firing pin etc as well as a bit old 9mm void down the middle. ;)
yeah, when you actually see a gun via a xray image, its pretty obvious as to what it is....even with composite guns, the shape or the gun itself and it's internals are a dead giveaway via the different setting on the xray machine