Quantcast

what's on random on yr mp3 player?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nicked this thread idea from a mailing list i'm on. w/o editing out the embarrasing bits, list out the ten songs on random on the mp3 player of your choice, and write a small blurb about them. here's what mine spit back at me on the flight home, after i listened to Mogwai's Mr Beast in its entirety.

1) Giant Sand "Raw" (Chore of Enchantment). a strong cd from a band known for spotty releases. i've been listening a lot to Howe et al recently, via a bunch of live boots i traded for. great stuff.

2) Elastica "S.O.F.T." (Elastica). if they never did another thing aside from "Stutter", they still would have made their mark. this song ain't a bad one, though.

3) Lula Côrtes and Zé Ramalho "Beira Mar" (Paebiru cdr boot i got from Frank @ Popwatch years ago). good to great brazilian folk-psych. supposedly worth more than a year's tuition @ harvard if you have an original copy. time-lag recently reissued one of the other releases.

4) Uncle Tupelo "Sin City" (No Depression). a good reading of the flying burrito bros tune. great debut lp, everyone should own it.

5) The Blue Aeroplanes "Frightened At Night" (Life Model). a non Langley-sung tune, so it threw me a bit when it came on and i had to check the band. a fairly languid song; nothing offensive but not real memorable either. they have much better songs.

6) Versus "Dead City" (Deep Red). sounds a bit like it could have come from their debut ep, at least the rhythm does. always a very underrated band. great guitar sound, excellent drumming, good vocals.

7) Led Zeppelin "In The Light" (Box Set). fairly dreadfully boring song. i skipped over this.

8) Kevin Ayers "Irreversible Neural Damage" (best of). a song i wasn't too familiar w/ , although the initial 'best of' purchase made me get "whatevershebringswesing" and "joy of a toy", two good to great cds. a bit repetitive but more and more bits add in gradually...a good example of building tension in a song w/o resorting to cheap tricks (well, the backwards stuff could be considered a cheap trick). ultimately not a great song though but the proggy motif bit which kicks in to break the monotony is nice.

9) Verlaines "Makes No Difference" (Bird Dog). one of the best bands ever, and the lead off-track of their greatest cd. "and you'll wipe it good, and you'll wipe it clean/ and say i'll see you in the death machine tomorrow/unless somebody's god intervenes" people like to talk about graeme downes' PhD in music, but the man can craft a lyric better than most too. do yrself a favor and get one of the 1st four Verlaines releases if you don't already have them.

10) Siouxsie and the Banshees "Spellbound" (Juju). great guitar intro from john mcgeoch (RIP, great underrated guitar player), and it drives the song. strong vocals from Siouxsie as well...good record.

next 10 in the queue after that:

Uncle Tupelo "D Boon"
Golden Smog "Radio King"
Guided By Voices "Kicker of Elves"
Super Furry Animals "Psyclone!"
Guided By Voices "Hit"
Mogwai "Rollerball"
Six Organs of Admittance "Memory, Memory, Memory"
Soundtrack of our Lives "Senior Breakdown"
Versus "Mirror Mirror"
The Saints "(I'm) Stranded"

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
since the flood/as i lay dying/all that remains/eminem/led zeppelin/fear factory/megadeth/tom petty/pink floyd/michelle branch/pantera/linkin park/in flames

gotta keep it diverse:love:

edit- i realized i didnt really follow your strict guidelines, but i just have all those bands on my playlist, so take it or leave it...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
7) Led Zeppelin "In The Light" (Box Set). fairly dreadfully boring song. i skipped over this.
:think:

You're high. It's s good song.

Anyhoo:

Artist, song - album...

1) Tom Waits, "More Than Rain" - Frank's Wild Years.
Soupy, circus-y waltzing music. Love it.

2) Melvins, "Yacob's Lab" - Stag.
1:15 minutes of clangy noise. Sweet!

3) Ennio Morricone w/ Jackie Lynton, "La Ballata di Hank McCain (the ballad of hank mccain), A Fistful of Film Music (Disc 1)
Cheesy soundtrack title song.

4) Steve Von Till, "Dawn" - If I Should Fall to the Field
Sleepy....getting sleepy...:)

5) The Network, "Transistors Gone Wild" - Money Money 2020
I wanna pogo now...

6) Made Out of Babies, "Out" - Trophy
Short and tough. I'm glad they are my friends.

7) Soundgarden, "The Day I Tried To Live" - Superunknown
Matt Cameron's snare sound was very crisp and real on this record, albeit a bit to ringy and annoying on some tunes. Weird time signature here...15/8?

8) John Zorn's Masada, "Hekhal" - Gimel (Three)
Traditional Jewish flavored jazz that makes me nervous. However, I listen to it alot.

9) Pantera, "War Nerve" - The Great Southern Trendkill
Ok, now I'm pissed at the world and I want to drink Jim Beam and kick some poser ass...

10) Tin Hat Trio, "A Life In East Poultney" - Helium
This song is nice, but they are way better live than on record. It's that violin thing, it never translates to recordings (IMHO)

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
1. 311 - Misdirected Hostility
Kind of jam/rock song, oldschool 311 if you know them. Love this song because it's from my high school years ... kinda brings me back. And it's just cool.

2. Soundgarden - Jesus Christ Pose
Great song from a great band. Nothing catchy that you would sing along with, but whatever.

3. Bob Marley - Redemption Song
Great, slow, mellow, kinda upbeat reggae. Good tune to sing along with when you're drunk with a bunch of chums.

4. Coldplay - Bittersweet Symphony
I now this was originally by the Verve, but Coldplay re-did it for that LIVE8 thing several months ago. REALLY GOOD TUNE.

5. Tenacious D - Lee
Ehh, I'd usually skip over it. Kind of annoying, but then again looks who's singing it.

6. Ice Cube - Check Yourself (Before You Wreck Yourself)
...cause shotgun shells are bad fo' yo' health. Gotta love Ice Cube.

7. String Cheese Incident - Birdland
Jam song by a phenominal jam band. It's instrumental, kinda sounds like groovy elevator music if you ask me. Not that that's a bad thing...

8. The Beatles - Something
Abbey Road, my fav. Beatles album. Great mellow classic song.

9. Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffett - It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
I knew country was gonna find itself in here somewhere. Oh well, the gig's up. It's an awesome song to listen to on the drive home from work on Friday, though.

10. O.A.R. - I Feel Home
A good feeling song on friendship. This is a great one ... highly recommended! One of my favorites by O.A.R.

Disclaimer: I hit several tracks from audio books & Dane Cook (stand-up) ... didn't think that was really the point of this thread so they got ixnayed.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Cool thread.

1) St Germain - What you think about.... Tourist. I just checked the date on this one. Doesn't seem like it's been 6 years, (2000) wow. Always a winner. Whole album is pretty stellar.

2) Alphaville, Big in Japan. This one made me smile when I saw it in the queue. I still like it. Reminds me of Talk Talk, Naked eyes, etc. Still probably only have it for nostalgic reasons though. Very ghey. But hey, I went to Erasure shows even.

3)Zero 7, Morning song, When it Falls. I discovered these guys a few years ago. Great musicians, cool instruments, chill. Kind of a cross between Yo La Tengo and Air. Pretty sounds. This track is pretty soul-ly sounding, sorta Reggie Watts on mushrooms, the vocals I mean. Over 6 minute song. Good ride.

4) Coco Rosie, Terrible Angels, La Maison de Mon Reve. Two girls from Brooklyn. Sick new sounds. Excellent, odd little vocals.

5) Coco Rosie again. This time Noahs Ark, Noahs Ark. This album come out a year later. Just checked the Genre as Experimental. I guess that's probably apt. Really good stuff. I particularly like the vibe and mixture of instruments and sound in this track as well as the contrasting vocals. You need to know them http://www.cocorosieland.com/

6) Angels (Thievery Corporation Remix), Norah Jones & Wax Poetic, Angels - Single. Probably my first Itunes song downloaded (.99). I heard it somewhere and wanted to hear it again. It's cool. Wax Poetic is (from the web) Wax Poetic Ilhan Ersahin, tenor, keys; Marla Turner, vocals; Thor Madsen, guitar, beats;
Jesse Murphy, bass;Jochen Rueckert, drums;

With the desire to express yet another facet of his musical persona, one that would explore with density the boundaries between jazz, rock, pop and world music, it was decided to record with guitarist/arranger Thor Madsen, drummer Jochen Rueckert, bassist Jesse Murphy and songstress Marla Turner . These, with Ilhan on tenor and keyboard would be the latest incarnation of a continuing project known as Wax Poetic. The pun intended, Wax Poetic was both to go vinyl and to be an armature on which to drape the mnemosonic and dreamy cinematic soundscapes that ilhan sought. Think Dance of the Penguins.

Earlier incarnations of the project including a then–unknown Norah Jones, N'dea Davennport and Saul Williams. Skating on glass, dancing on twigs, exploring crisp edges of dub and electronica, this version of the band continues in a tradition begun some 6 years ago.

Characteristic of Wax Poetic's web of voice and the effusive persuasion of Thor's and Ilhan's electronic meanderings through levels of the band's id are the pulsating bass of Murphy and the chugging, rock steady backbeats of Rueckert. Says singer Marla Turner, "I don't want to sound like anybody else. I just want to do what I'm doing. That's why I'm with Wax Poetic."

In response to comparisons to bands like Thievery Corporation or tenor riffs that conjure those of John Coltraine on electronics, Ilhan has said "There are always going to be influences. You hear them, you reconfigure them and you arrive at something new. That is what I want to do with all my bands, and particularly with Wax Poetic. I wanted a vocally–led situation - you know, songs - and a little improvisation with the emphasis on sound rather than on solos. In fact there is actually not that much saxophone except as obligato behind the band and Marla. It's mostly keyboards with Thor's guitar and beats added to Jochen's, with Jesse's bass. If we happen to sound like somebody or remind you of somebody, maybe we meant that to happen and maybe we didn't. I guess that is the price of being contemporary, you hear things and you accept them or reject them in accordance with what you intend to project. Sometimes it's not what you intended, but I think - insofar as I even do think about it - that that is what makes it art." John Farris Nublu, summer 2005

7) Blondie, One Way or Another. No idea how it came to be in my posession, but not denying that Blondie rocks.

8) 70s/80s (RJD2 Remix), Nightmares On Wax,Spliff Sessions 27. Genre - Lo-Fi. Funky, Soul, techno, hip hop, chill. RJD2 is smooth too. check him out if you don't know him.

9) Cumbia sobre el rio, Celso Piña & Control Machete. I don't know who Celso is, but I think he's probably a mexican folk artist. Control Machette is my favorite mexican rap group. This track is fun, because it's all old school, traditional mexican something or other with hipped up ryhmes. It's a bit reggaeton, or at least my vague understanding of it, but the accordian is bad-ass.

10) Carla Bruni, Raphaël, Quelqu'un m'a dit. From Mexico to France. This has some great acoustic guitar and Carli is as always unmistakeably french. This track somehow reminds me of Serge Gainsbourg. I think she must have been influenced. Nice voice.

Next in the queque:
2ManyDJs, Dreadlock Woman
Dandy Warhols
GrandMaster Flash
50 cent
Andre Nikatina
Vic Chesnutt
Django Reinhardt
Flaming Lips
TV on the Radio
Pavement

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Hmm...

I listen to iTunes at work, as do at least 20 other people, and all the local machines are networked and the playlists are shared. That means I have approximately one millionty bazillion potential songs to put in a random list.

I'll post here again soon...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
9) Verlaines "Makes No Difference" (Bird Dog). one of the best bands ever, and the lead off-track of their greatest cd. "and you'll wipe it good, and you'll wipe it clean/ and say i'll see you in the death machine tomorrow/unless somebody's god intervenes" people like to talk about graeme downes' PhD in music, but the man can craft a lyric better than most too. do yrself a favor and get one of the 1st four Verlaines releases if you don't already have them.

I have none, but I'd like to check them out. $100.00 though....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Greyboy Allstars - Sunday School
Snapcase - Coagulate
Van Halen - Unchained
Robin Trower - Bridge of sighs
The Spinners - Ruberband Man
QOTSA - Go with the flow
Dead - Scarlet Begonias
Pat Travers Band - Boom Boom
Galactic - Uptown Odyysey
Jeff Beck - Freeway Jam
The Killers - Jenny (not sure why though)
Dumptruck - For the country (live)
SRV - Mary had a little lamb
Rush - YYZ
Nick Drake - Cello song
Nirvana - Sliver
David Bowie - Warszawa
Gang Green - Voices Carry

J

JRB

macko said:
4. Coldplay - Bittersweet Symphony
I now this was originally by the Verve, but Coldplay re-did it for that LIVE8 thing several months ago. REALLY GOOD TUNE.
I really dig that song.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
spincrazy said:

I have none, but I'd like to check them out. $100.00 though....
what's $100?

shoot me a PM and i can set you up w/ some goodies.

btw, i dig RJD2 a lot. great stuff. and an english guy made me a dub of a Zero 7 cd i'd forgotten about until i went through a spindle of cdrs a few weeks ago. not too bad. a bit slick, but good.

btw, there's a very interesting article on Talk Talk in the latest issue of Mojo or Uncut (i can never differentiate).

i just got done reading the Paul Weller interview, and listened to _All Mod Cons_ whilst doing so. how the Jam were never big in the US is beyond me (it was funny to learn that they opened for Blue Oyster Cult in '78, for their 1st US tour...now i happen to love both bands but i think i'm in the distinct minority...)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I cant asnwer the Ten question. I have a fairly cheap Rca player. Holds about 40 songs and its upgradable. I change the song damn near everynight. Always random Stuff. I have close to 3K songs on my pc of All varieties. I think Atm i have bunch of Busta rhymes, Cky, Some Nelly Furtado, Some BeP, But like i said i change it All the friggin time

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Nice, you'll find a lot of tweedy and farrar stuff on my ipod too....

here's what came up on mine....

My Morning Jacket- wordless chorus

I absolutely love my morning jacket. Jim James is a great songwriter and the band is just as powerful live as they are in the studio

Mugison- Murr Murr

I forget where this guy is from at the moment, but I think he is either from Finland of Iceland. This is some new material from him and the vocal work and guitar interplay is really strong.

Super Furry Animals- atomic lust

It's like some crazy love child of the 60's meets 2010. I LOVE this whole album (love kraft) and hope to hear more good work from them.

Neko Case- star witness

My current favorite female vocalist. She is playing in my town in a few weeks and I hope she comes through just as strong live.

Ryan Adams- carolina rain

IMO, this guy is this generations Bob Dylan. The guy is a highly prolific and powerful song writer who just keeps getting better and better.

Beck- missing

Beck never ceases to impress me. While I don't think Guero is as strong of an album as sea change or mutations, there are several strong tunes on here such as this one.

Jerry Garcia Band- gomorrah

Nedd I say anything? The man of emotion at his finest!

Uncle Tupelo- New Madrid

Oh how I miss Farrar and Tweedy colaborations. Too bad Tweedy banged farrar's wife :(

Beta Band- dry the rain

One of the best tunes ever, just a good feeling, head bobbing sunny day tune.

Flaming Lip's- the W.A.N.D

I'm loving the new album 'At War With The Mystics'. Very solid front to finish. This isn't my favorite of the bunch, but it's been on my iPod longer than the rest of the album and I guess got pulled due to more plays.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
macko said:
7. String Cheese Incident - Birdland
Jam song by a phenominal jam band. It's instrumental, kinda sounds like groovy elevator music if you ask me. Not that that's a bad thing...
Birdland is a tune by Jaco Pastorius that SCI covers. It is a really well written jazz comp. I've got a great version of Bela Fleck and Victor Wooten playing this with Cheese at the Jerry Bash '04 if you want it.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
"Darkest Red" by The Agony Scene.
"In Search for I" by In Flames.
"Stings of Conscience" by Unearth.
"Black Label" by Lamb of God.
"What Drives the Weak" by Shadows Fall.
"Valor and Vengeance" by Since the Flood.
"Blind Eye Halo" by Soilwork.
"No Compromise" by The Haunted.
"Standing Still" by Dogfight.
"Rise Against the Machines" by Jedi Mind Tricks (the only rap on a list of otherwise all metal"

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Damn, workin for the weekend, so I have the "Mellow" playlist running on random. Here's what's on in the lab today:

1 -The Evens - "Mount Pleasant Isn't"
Ian MacKaye's new band. I ripped this track off of one of the Burn To Shine DVD's (with some help from Toshi:thumb:) Unlike lots of folks, I like Ians more art-rockish sort of stuff.
2 -Joe Strummer & The Mescalaros- "Ramshackle Day Parade"
This is a relly mellow track from the Streetcore album. Strummer's voice is great on this one. It's sad that he's gone.
3 -David Hillyard And The Rocksteady Seven - "Playtime"
Modern, horn-driven instumental rock-steady/ska. Nice old school flavor.
4 -Yo La Tengo - "Sugarcube"
I like the fuzzed out guitar, and the lyrics are pretty good. Also, not a typical YLT song, sound wise.
5 -Yellowman - "Mad Over Me"
A Yellowman song with a ketchup commercial built into it. What could be bad about that?
6 -The Bicycle Thief - "Cereal Song"
Bob Forrest's amazingly sad lyrics make this song (and pretty much the whole album) for me. Take home message? Do to much heroin & you'l end up washing dishes with teeth so bad you will not be able to eat your favorite cereal with them.....
7 -Garland Of Hours - "Word Versus"
Another track pulled off of Burn To Shine. Off-beat song, piano driven. I like it, but I cant figure out why. As far as i can tell, this band never put out an album.
8 -Metric - "Combat Baby"
Upbeat track for this playlist. Chick driven New York Indie band.
9 -101ers - "Keys To Your Heart "
Joe Strummer's first band - pre-Clash. Their remastered album was just re-released on CD. Rockabilly-ish and upbeat, but you can hear a bit of the Clash in there. Catchy tune too.
10 -DNTEL - "Last Songs"
Love this band. Squarepusher meets Autechre, with ocasional vocals by Ben Gibbard, among othes. This is the quietest song on the album.

That's it for now - mellow day in the lab......

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Listening to:

Ringside - Struggle
Romeo Void - I might like you better
Cold Play - X and Y
Test Icicles - Boa vs Python
Placebo - Pure Morning
Ween - Tastes Good On Th' Bun
Ruby -Tiny Meat
Artic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
Sublime - Wrong Way
Fountain Of Wayne - Maureen
Autolux - Turnstile Blues

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Bottomless Sea - Hotwater music

Sunshine - Mos Def

Rockin' - Zion I

World of dust - Neckromantix

Mince meat - Danger doom

The story - MxPx

Dead ringer - Rise against

Miami - Against me

God bless - Sweatshop Union

The kids can eat a bag of dicks - wilhelm scream.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Public Access -- Another Day In Paradise
I only recently got this album. Can't say much about it other than it's pretty fun.

Ska Ska Club -- Santa Monica
A Japanese band that plays silly music? Who would've thought!

The Descendents -- She Loves me
You can never go wrong with the Descendents. That is, as long as you have a soul.

The Fad -- PMRC
I really don't know how to describe these cats. If you're in the know, then they're a bit like Infamous Jake and The Pinstripe Mafia, only they do less transistions between their genres.

Streetlight Manifesto -- Kristina She Don't Know I Exist
Streetlight redid Keasby Nights and it's amazing! It brings me back to middleschool times, when I first got into music. Not to mention, there is a Clave rhythm hidden down at the bottom of this gig. Yeah. . . you love the clave too.

Jurassic 5 -- Quality Control
Truth is, real men listen to J5.

Devo - Beautiful World
It's Devo. You don't need a description/

The Slackers - International War Criminal
This is The Slackers' reworking of their old tune, International War Criminal. In my opinion, it's one of the best songs I've heard in a while.

Big D and The Kids Table -- Five Kids Down
The song is about a grandpa beating up five kids. Enough said.

The Beatles -- Eleanor Rigby
Probally the worst song ever written. JUST KIDDING LOLOMG!!!111

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Man....the batt just died on my Nano. :( I'll recharge tonight and chime in tomorrow. I can tell you that my "random" hasn't been all that random today. Lots of Phish, Nickel Creek and Led Zeppelin for some reason?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
N8 said:
Listening to:

Ringside - Struggle
Romeo Void - I might like you better
Cold Play - X and Y
Test Icicles - Boa vs Python
Placebo - Pure Morning
Ween - Tastes Good On Th' Bun
Ruby -Tiny Meat
Artic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
Sublime - Wrong Way
Fountain Of Wayne - Maureen
Autolux - Turnstile Blues
I have to admit, that's a pretty tasty lineup right there!! :drool:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
narlus said:
coldplay = dead giveaway of extreme metro-ness.
Well, as metro as one can be being from NM....

I am surprised at the list though. Romeo void, Ween, Sublime. I figured much worse. :monkey:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I'm going to make a playlist based off of certain peoples lists. J5, Neko Case, Uncle Tupelo, Joe Strummer, Nick Cave..

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jack Off Jill - My Cat
Primitive Radio Gods - Motor Of Joy
From Bubble Gum to Sky - Hello Hello Hi
Constantines - Subdomestic
Deerhoof - Siriustar

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i shoveled the driveway while listening to:

songs:ohia - back on top (the lioness)
good song from a fantastic record...the recording quality of this is sparse but meaty. bleak lyrics and a great sparse guitar sound always win in my rulebook. why jason molina isn't loved by everyone who's ever bought a neil young record speaks volumes about the state of modern music and distribution.

mogwai - travel is dangerous (Mr Beast). great song from the soon-to-be released masterwork of Mogwai. let's hope it's not prophetic...my wife's flying to denver tomorrow AM to go to a close friend's funeral, after he died 3 days ago in a plane crash. :(

The Delgados - Keep On Breathing (Universal Audio)
decent but lesser track off Glasgow's finest swansong. good peppy guitar-driven pop w/ bleak lyrics.

The Black Keys - Do The Rump (The Big Come Up)
good raunchy R&R...can't beat it.

Greg Weeks - Cold Light of Quiet (Blood is Trouble)
the philly answer to brit-folk a la incredible string band, clive palmer, comus, etc. greg's got a way w/ a melodium and voice which has been missing for a couple decades.

Palace - Christmastim in the Mountains (Hope)
will oldham's got a huge beard, and bigger ideas. you could call him a prime mover of the alt.country movement, but he'd probably furrow his brow. i'm proud to have counted both him and jon spencer (pussy galore) among college classmates.

Wilco - Panthers (A Ghost is Born) huge record for tweedy et al, boosted noticeably by nels cline's presence.

it only took 7 songs to shovel, so the next three in the queue were:

sonic youth - candle (daydream nation) a great song which plays into gerhard richter's artwork for this much-touted favorite record of SY fans.

urge overkill - vacation in tokyo (the supersonic storybook) a lesser song from the best UO record they ever made, but still a fun one.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Stagger Lee (Murder Ballads) a fuggin' juggernaut...wow does nick and co put his stamp on this old chestnut. was lucky enough to see them flay this one in a live setting...blixa sounded like a goddamn jet engine.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
narlus said:
i shoveled the driveway while listening to:

songs:ohia - back on top (the lioness)
good song from a fantastic record...the recording quality of this is sparse but meaty. bleak lyrics and a great sparse guitar sound always win in my rulebook. why jason molina isn't loved by everyone who's ever bought a neil young record speaks volumes about the state of modern music and distribution.

mogwai - travel is dangerous (Mr Beast). great song from the soon-to-be released masterwork of Mogwai. let's hope it's not prophetic...my wife's flying to denver tomorrow AM to go to a close friend's funeral, after he died 3 days ago in a plane crash. :(

The Delgados - Keep On Breathing (Universal Audio)
decent but lesser track off Glasgow's finest swansong. good peppy guitar-driven pop w/ bleak lyrics.

The Black Keys - Do The Rump (The Big Come Up)
good raunchy R&R...can't beat it.

Greg Weeks - Cold Light of Quiet (Blood is Trouble)
the philly answer to brit-folk a la incredible string band, clive palmer, comus, etc. greg's got a way w/ a melodium and voice which has been missing for a couple decades.

Palace - Christmastim in the Mountains (Hope)
will oldham's got a huge beard, and bigger ideas. you could call him a prime mover of the alt.country movement, but he'd probably furrow his brow. i'm proud to have counted both him and jon spencer (pussy galore) among college classmates.

Wilco - Panthers (A Ghost is Born) huge record for tweedy et al, boosted noticeably by nels cline's presence.

it only took 7 songs to shovel, so the next three in the queue were:

sonic youth - candle (daydream nation) a great song which plays into gerhard richter's artwork for this much-touted favorite record of SY fans.

urge overkill - vacation in tokyo (the supersonic storybook) a lesser song from the best UO record they ever made, but still a fun one.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Stagger Lee (Murder Ballads) a fuggin' juggernaut...wow does nick and co put his stamp on this old chestnut. was lucky enough to see them flay this one in a live setting...blixa sounded like a goddamn jet engine.

You should be involved in the music press. I find your ruminations to be spot on. Wilco is one of my favs by the way...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
spincrazy said:
Well, as metro as one can be being from NM....

I am surprised at the list though. Romeo void, Ween, Sublime. I figured much worse. :monkey:

Dude, I saw Romeo Void around 81 or 82.... when no one knew them. I think they were playing with the Gang of Four.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
1. M.I.A. - Fire Fire (3:28) - Policitcal Sri-Lankan, hip-pop.
2. Living End - Silent Victory (0:51) - Working class Australian punk, very clean and hard driving.
3. Reverend Horton Heat - Forbidden Jungle (2:18) - Double time, instrumental psychobilly party music with some very twangy surf style guitar work.
4. Phunk Junkeez - Weed War (3:57) - Hardcora rap-rock, lots of 50's sci-fi radio samples, in the same vein as Limp Bizkit
5. The Vandals - Ape Shall Never Kill Ape (2:39) Hard, fast punk from one of the best bands ever.
6. The Cramps - Mean Machine (3:57) - It's the Cramps, what else can I say.
7. Motörhead - No Class (2) (2:32) - It's Motörhead baby!
8. Motörhead - I got Mine (5:27) - It's Motörhead baby!
9. Motörhead - Bomber (3:24) - It's Motörhead baby!
10. The Vandals - F'd Up Girl (2:36) - Imagine watching Gease on acid and this is the kind of song that would come out.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i'm game. My MP3 player is used solely for running purposes though. All of the music I am fixing to name off needs no explanation. More likely than not it is really bad pop music from some point in time.

Salt-n-Peppa- Push it

DJ Funk- Booty House anthems- 14 minutes of booty house bass blastin' out your ear drums. Includes favorites like pussy ride, doggy style, ass and titties, face down, ass up, and gettin' high.

Antibalas-Che Che Cole- Good music from a good group. The driving force behind my desire to learn spanish, so i can sing along. Somehow some real music snuck into the mix.

Adina Howard- Freak Like Me- I put this one in the same category as Push-it.

Tom-Tom Club- Genius of Love- I keep this song on because every time i hear it it makes me smile, no matter how ad i'm hurting.

Operation Ivy-BankShot-My favorite instrumental song of all time.

Black Eyed Peas-Hey Mama- They are obnoxious as hell but they make some music to work out too.

RATM- Down Rodeo- I dig this one when I'm feeling extra pissed off for having to be up at five o'clock running.

Nelly- Grillz- guilty pleasure

Pennywise- Perfect People- The irony.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
My Ipod is always on random because the screen is cracked and thats all I cand see on it

1. Damien Jurado
2. Headphones (Pedro the lion side project)
3. The Futureheads
4. The Black Keys
5. Little T and One Track Mike (Shaniqua don't live here no more!)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
jdcamb said:
You should be involved in the music press. I find your ruminations to be spot on. Wilco is one of my favs by the way...
I think he was if I remember correctly/vaguely.

BigTakeOver mag?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stevew said:
I think he was if I remember correctly/vaguely.

BigTakeOver mag?
yep, that and Popwatch. i just don't have the time for it anymore; i'd have a largely ignored blog if i had the time, but i don't.

however, i am thinking of launching a special service for RM folks very shortly... :clue:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
1. Phish - "Foam" (Live Phish Vol. 1~12/14/95) - A classic show from '95. I was there.

2. Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit - "Davy Crockett" - From their self titled album. Amazing musicianship, especially Jimmy Herring (later known from Jazz is Dead amongst other projects)

3. Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" - It's Zep. Enough said.

4. Phish - "Anything But Me" - Newer Phish which was released on the Round Room album. Slower song, but one of my favorites of the new batch of song writing.

5. Cake - "I Will Survive" - Great cover off Fashion Nugget by a great band. These guys continue to put out great album after great album.

6. Yonder Mountain String Band - "Dawn's Early Light" (Live off Mountain Tracks Vol. 2) - Some of the best "Newgrass" out there right now. Taking traditional bluegrass and jamming it out.

7. Ween - "Sorry Charlie" (Live from Cape Cod, 7/23/00) - One of my newest loves. Ween takes rock and roll and simply rocks it.

8. Ween - "The Mollusk" (From the same show) - Soooo good!