Quantcast

What's on your Memorial Day Barbecue Menu?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Laura and I are having two of her married friends and their sons over for a cookout on Saturday.

Looking for barbecue menu items that will work well for the kids as well as the grown ups.

We may still go with the traditional hot dogs and hamburgers, but I'm looking for other options to consider.

Grillin.........mmmmmmmmm......:drool:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It's Aubrey's wedding shower Saturday so I'm going riding, then I'm coming home and eating all kinds of good food when the shower is over!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
chicken kabobs!

sort of time consuming but worth it!

me: chicken, peppers, onion, pineapple, repeat
I've fallen in LOVE with pinapple and chicken!!

I had some Jerk Chicken over a bed of pineapple salsa the other week and man was that good!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ooh that reminds me, gotta get some veggies to grill :drool:

Friday is supposed to be rainy here but maybe I can get a ride in.

Saturday my band has an outdoor party gig, should be a blast!

Sunday I'm leaning towards going down to watch the US Open at Diablo.

Monday I wanna do a LONG ride.

I love 4 day weekends!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:

I love 4 day weekends!
If you go to Diablo let me know because I'll be there. If you need a place to crash at Sunday night let me know.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
stosh said:
If you go to Diablo let me know because I'll be there. If you need a place to crash at Sunday night let me know.
Hey somehow my phone doesn't have your # programmed anymore, can ya PM it to me?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
Hey somehow my phone doesn't have your # programmed anymore, can ya PM it to me?
wow... you had my cell number... I feel special!

Check your PM's.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
jerk chicken, pineapple, tequilla

:drool:
Fawk..... the Tequilla would have finished it off perfectly.
I did have a beer with it which went pretty well with it. Then again what doesn't go well with beer?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Rockland said:
I'm going to visit my mother in NH sat & sun. She is not much of a cook. :rofl: :( I'll be making up for it when I get home monday. :oink: out!!
How can you F'up a BBQ?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG, you may get some good info @ the beer/food forum ;)

i am a big fan of marinated chicken...prep the day before and grill it the next. the varieties are endless, but if you want some ideas you can toss in:

something sugary (honey, orange juice or sesame oil; even brown sugar)
something savory (freshly chopped herbs like sage, rosemary, thyme or cilantro)
dry spices for the meat, before marinating (coriander, cumin, paprika, S&P, cayenne pepper, chili powder, etc)
some acid (lemon or pineapple juice, or some variety of vinegar)
some oil (veggie oil is fine)

whisk everything together (oil and vinegar should be about the same proportion), put in a ziploc baggie and refrigerate.

some good advice here:
http://www.barbecuen.com/tip-marinading.htm

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
I just deleted Bob aka CrazySweeper from my phone yesterday.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
justsomeguy said:
picture of black meat]
at first i just clicked on the jpg properties, and figured you'd actually finally gotten around to killing mtbr's fred3 and now it was time to grill him.

from the site:
The steak has very little fat, complementing its exclusive and delectable taste.
actually, fat is what helps give the steak flavor; why a ribeye is far tastier than a tenderloin. all within reason, of course.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stinkyboy said:
Rare pork chops?
or worse, burned to charred cinder chops. you can always toss the raw stuff back on the grill.

that said, i've come to prefer my pork chops to be medium rare.

chicken still gets thoroughly cooked through, though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
stosh said:
I'm not clicking the link but I have NO idea what that is.
Fred's extraordinary steak attracts meat devotees from all over the Bay

Posted Fri Jan. 30, 13:06:30 PST 2004
By Danny Snyder of the Campanile

About forty years ago in his meat market in Los Gatos, a man named Fred revolutionized Bay Area steak when he invented his secret steak marinade. Fred used the marinade on all sorts of steaks, but he soon realized that it captured the greatest taste on fresh sirloins.

A Palo Alto favorite, Fred's Steak, which is found at Schaub's Meat, Fish and Poultry market in Stanford Shopping Center, has attracted steak lovers from all around the Bay Area for many years now.

Just don't be intimidated by the appearance, because the unique steak is absolutely delicious.

Fred's Steak looks like a black ball of burnt meat (before and after being cooked); however, when it gets out of the oven and into your mouth, your feelings will definitely change. One bite of the tender sirloin and you'll be hooked for life.

"Fred's Steak looks really weird, actually downright disgusting," steak-loving junior Todd Shulman said. "But it's up there with my favorite dinners and steaks."

The ugly-looking exterior of the steak is the reason for its perfection in taste. The seasoning creates a shell of crust around the outside of the meat that traps in the juices, preventing the luscious flavor from escaping the meat.

Not only does the marinade keep the juices from seeping out, it also makes the sirloins tender and sweet for the diner's delight.Fred's Steak has a full and robust taste. It is moderately seasoned and extremely moist and juicy. The steak has very little fat, complementing its exclusive and delectable taste.

Preparing the steak is also not a difficult task. If you're baking it (both instructions for two pounds of steak at medium rare), simply heat the oven to 375º F. When at that temperature, pop the steak in and wait 45 minutes until dinner is served. When barbequing, it takes even less time, only needing to be cooked for 30 minutes (for steaks smaller than two pounds, cook 20 minutes per pound).

Schaub's gets all of its meat from corn-fed cows in the Midwest. It is always imported fresh.

Despite all of its unique features, Fred's Steak is not overly priced and actually compares well with its corresponding high quality cuts of meat. Only found at Schaub's, Fred's Steak goes for $9.99 per pound, while at the same market, London Broil goes for $5.99 per pound and the luxurious Filet Mignon is priced at $22.99 per pound.

Fred's Steak can be both barbequed and broiled, making it great for any dinner occasion. Whether it be a large barbeque dinner party with multiple families or a simple family dinner, buy however much is desired and enjoy dinner with Fred's.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:

I love 4 day weekends!
I too have a 4 day weekend! Too bad you're playing on Saturday 'cause you could come out here, drink & ride devil: Let us know about Diablo...perhaps we'll road trip too!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Clif bars annd beer. Ain't got no time for food...gonna try and ride Saturday - Monday!

Saturday's menu = Lenox MA xc in the pm (housecleaning in the am!)
Sunday's menu = Plattekill
Monday's menu = Jiminy Peak.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Jim Mac said:
Clif bars annd beer. Ain't got no time for food...gonna try and ride Saturday - Monday!

Saturday's menu = Lenox MA xc in the pm (housecleaning in the am!)
Sunday's menu = Plattekill
Monday's menu = Jiminy Peak.
You should race at Diablo!!!

J

JRB

The only good marinade on steaks is black pepper and garlic. The steak I had last night had been soaked. It was good, but not as good as just pepper and garlic would have been.